I'm gonna nip this KRob TD issue in the bud... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

I'm gonna nip this KRob TD issue in the bud...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Goody » Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:39 pm

On yahoo (under "my team", since I have Krob )it is credited as a return TD (Fumble Return for a TD). It has not yet shown up on the stat tracker though. Under "my team", it shows him scoring 9.2 (3.2 for 32 yds, 6 for a td). On my stat tracker, it shows him only scoring 3.2 for the 32 yds.
Goody
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:58 pm

I need 4 more points to win and I haven't been given the TD yet. If it registers I win.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Azrael » Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:02 pm

This is different than the McCardell TD in that the ball never changed possession. I know that different sites scored the McCardell TD differently but there should be no question with this one.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby dgroundhog_ffc » Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:58 pm

McCardell never did get credit for the TD at http://www.myfantasyleague.com unless you used a particular rule in your scoring (most leagues do not). McCardell's TD was officially ruled as an 'offensive fumble recovery returned for TD'. Unless your league specifically used that scoring rule in it's scoring system, it fell thru the cracks.

I think the fantasy world needs to take a serious look at this, and stop the guessing game that accompanies it. Our league has addressed it and does not believe the teams ever 'switch' from offense to defense during a turnover, no matter how many times the ball changes possession. It isn't just the TD at issue, it is the scoring for the turnover as well. We use the standard 'offense remains offense for the duration of the play, defense remains defense' rule. It is the simplest, most sensible way to score it. Sometimes you have to correct the stat keeper, but everybody knows exactly how it will be scored, all the time.

Anytime I lose by a point or 2, I scour the box scores for incorrect fumble recoveries. The NFL is getting better, but it is still inconsistent scoring.
The meek ain't gonna inherit $#!%....'cuz I'll TAKE IT!
dgroundhog_ffc
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby emaja » Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:13 pm

It is currently showing on the "My Team" page of Yahoo as a "Return TD" and being counted, just like it should.

I do agree that your league may have different rules that might not allow individual credit for a fumble and that this should be addressed if that is the case.

Food for thought for next year.
emaja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Location: Wearing the PB with pride looking for my Bears crack pipe...

Postby zombiez » Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:05 pm

dgroundhog wrote:McCardell never did get credit for the TD at http://www.myfantasyleague.com unless you used a particular rule in your scoring (most leagues do not). McCardell's TD was officially ruled as an 'offensive fumble recovery returned for TD'. Unless your league specifically used that scoring rule in it's scoring system, it fell thru the cracks.

I think the fantasy world needs to take a serious look at this, and stop the guessing game that accompanies it. Our league has addressed it and does not believe the teams ever 'switch' from offense to defense during a turnover, no matter how many times the ball changes possession. It isn't just the TD at issue, it is the scoring for the turnover as well. We use the standard 'offense remains offense for the duration of the play, defense remains defense' rule. It is the simplest, most sensible way to score it. Sometimes you have to correct the stat keeper, but everybody knows exactly how it will be scored, all the time.

Anytime I lose by a point or 2, I scour the box scores for incorrect fumble recoveries. The NFL is getting better, but it is still inconsistent scoring.
.......not really sure how anyone can argue with the NFL stats :-°
zombiez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Azrael » Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:49 pm

Zombiez wrote:
dgroundhog wrote:McCardell never did get credit for the TD at http://www.myfantasyleague.com unless you used a particular rule in your scoring (most leagues do not). McCardell's TD was officially ruled as an 'offensive fumble recovery returned for TD'. Unless your league specifically used that scoring rule in it's scoring system, it fell thru the cracks.

.......not really sure how anyone can argue with the NFL stats :-°

I agree. The NFL scores statistics according to its rules. It is the fantasy football world that needs to figure out how real life football rules translate into fantasy football points.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby dgroundhog_ffc » Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:55 pm

I posted this in another thread, but this is the McCardell discussion at http://www.myfantasyleague.com:

Some leagues think that this should be considered a defensive touchdown, because they say that once a change of possession happens, the team that was once the offense is now the defense, and vice versa. Therefore, should this be considered a Tampa Bay defensive touchdown, not an offensive touchdown?
From the NFL Rulebook:

Rule 3, Section 35, Article 1 Whenever a team is in possession, it is the Offense and, at such time, its opponent is the Defense.
Rule 3, Section 35, Article 2 The team that puts the ball in play is Team A, and its oponent is Team B. For brevity, a player on Team A is referred to as A1 and his teammate as A2, A3, etc. Opponents are B1, B2, etc.

Note: A team becomes Team A when it has been designated to put ball in play, and it remains Team A until a down ends, even though there might be one or more changes of possession during the down. This is in contrast with the terms Offense and Defense. Team A is the offense when the down starts, but becomes the defense if and when B secures possession during the down, and vice versa for each change of possession.

However, clearly it's the intention in fantasy football to award things like interceptions and fumbles returned for a touchdown to the defensive team (because they are actually on the field at the time of the play), and not the offensive team. If fantasy football followed the letter of the NFL rules, there would be no such thing as a defensive touchdown, as all interception and fumble recovery touchdowns are scored by the the team with possession (i.e., the offensive team, if you follow the letter of the NFL rulebook).
The meek ain't gonna inherit $#!%....'cuz I'll TAKE IT!
dgroundhog_ffc
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Previous

Return to Football Talk