Four Raiders Suspended - Steroid Abuse - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Four Raiders Suspended - Steroid Abuse

Moderator: Football Moderators

Four Raiders Suspended - Steroid Abuse

Postby nichelle » Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:12 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1663014

Suspensions are pending an appeal

CBS' "The NFL Today" and SportsLine.com reported that defensive tackle Dana Stubblefield, center Barret Robbins, linebacker Bill Romanowski and defensive tackle Chris Cooper were notified in letters from the NFL this past week that they tested positive for THG, or tetrahydrogestrinone.

Couldn't they have been suspended starting with today's game? (Nevermind, it wouldn't have helped my Vikes)

Still interesting, though..
nichelle Beginner
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Zuptonut » Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:14 pm

Inside info says there will be TONS of players getting wacked this week.
Zuptonut

Friendliness: %

Postby mikey » Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:17 pm

Robbins and Romanowski I get (maybe it helps explain their respective beahvior).

But Stubblefield? I would have believed it if they said his blood contained an unacceptable amount of "cake icing", but steroids?
mikey
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby BrutallyHuge » Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:17 pm

This is BS.

First of all, THG is crap. It's a terrible, terrible 'steriod.' Victor Conte is a media master.

There are so many better legal compounds out there. I don't understand the big hype about THG. The media baffles me sometimes with their ignorance.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby KingGhidra » Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:27 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:This is BS.

First of all, THG is crap. It's a terrible, terrible 'steriod.' Victor Conte is a media master.

There are so many better legal compounds out there. I don't understand the big hype about THG. The media baffles me sometimes with their ignorance.

Care to ummm.... explain for those of us who don't take steroids?
:)
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BrutallyHuge » Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:39 pm

KingGhidra wrote:Care to ummm.... explain for those of us who don't take steroids?

Sure. First, there's tons of borderline-legal pro-steroids and prohormones out there. You've probably heard of andro and all that. Well, the compound androstenedione is crap (what McGwire was said to have taken). Very little anabolic activity (which is what athletes want) and very affinitive to estrogen receptors (very bad, causes weight gain...no good effects).

THG is not very anabolic at all and very androgenic. There are much better compounds out there including 4-AD, 1-test, 1,4 andro, etc. These compounds are legal and most can be obtained at a GNC or equivalent. I'm not sure why the media chose to pick on THG. Even 'real' steroids can be taken effectively without detection (if you know the compounds' half-lives and you play it safe). I could go on.

Most people don't know how deep everything goes. The percentages of people that take stuff is very high. The big problem is that everyone wants to just turn the other cheek and assume everyone is clean. Another problem is that people think that steroids will turn a regular person into Arnold or a world-class sprinter overnight. BS. To sprint competitively at an olympic level, you have to have amazing genetics, amazing training, amazing diet/nutrition, and something to give you that boost.

It's a sad state, but I firmly believe that there is NO way to eliminate doping. At some point, everyone is going to have to accept it. To do otherwise would be ignorant. Do you know how much the top athletes make? There's always going to be a scientist putting out the latest undetectible performance enhancer. The sports supplements market is huge too and growing extremely fast. The opportunity for profit is immense.

I'm rambling. Stop me.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby KingGhidra » Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:50 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:
KingGhidra wrote:Care to ummm.... explain for those of us who don't take steroids?

Sure. First, there's tons of borderline-legal pro-steroids and prohormones out there. You've probably heard of andro and all that. Well, the compound androstenedione is crap (what McGwire was said to have taken). Very little anabolic activity (which is what athletes want) and very affinitive to estrogen receptors (very bad, causes weight gain...no good effects).

mmmm bitch tits

Most people don't know how deep everything goes. The percentages of people that take stuff is very high. The big problem is that everyone wants to just turn the other cheek and assume everyone is clean. Another problem is that people think that steroids will turn a regular person into Arnold or a world-class sprinter overnight. BS. To sprint competitively at an olympic level, you have to have amazing genetics, amazing training, amazing diet/nutrition, and something to give you that boost.

I agree 100%. I was listening to the remarks of an ex football player. He said he had taken them and made the point that steroids can't teach you to shoot a basketball or catch a football.

It's a sad state, but I firmly believe that there is NO way to eliminate doping. At some point, everyone is going to have to accept it. To do otherwise would be ignorant. Do you know how much the top athletes make? There's always going to be a scientist putting out the latest undetectible performance enhancer. The sports supplements market is huge too and growing extremely fast. The opportunity for profit is immense.

I'm rambling. Stop me.

I've always been under the impression that almost every pro football player takes some sort of steroid. I've flirted with the idea of taking them, but I don't like the idea of sticking myself in the ass with a needle.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby nichelle » Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:56 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:

.....I'm rambling. Stop me.

I'd try but you're Brutally Huge. :-o

Thanks for the explanation, though. I'm like the average person who knows next to nothing about steroids.
nichelle Beginner
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:15 pm

I think everyone will start caring about steriods when the average life span of someone in the nfl is barely over 60. Bottom line is that they aren't good for you in the long term, and if used excessively, can really screw with someone's state of mind.

Friendliness: %

Postby BrutallyHuge » Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:20 pm

Anonymous wrote:I think everyone will start caring about steriods when the average life span of someone in the nfl is barely over 60. Bottom line is that they aren't good for you in the long term, and if used excessively, can really screw with someone's state of mind.

I have to disagree with the state of mind thing. There were a few double-blind, placebo-controlled, university-tested studies that showed steroids have no effect on mood or 'roid rage' as people call it.

However, I don't want to sound like I'm recommending the use of steroids. Far from it. On the other hand, the media makes them out to be killers. They aren't.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Football Talk