Four Raiders Suspended - Steroid Abuse - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Four Raiders Suspended - Steroid Abuse

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby KingGhidra » Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:21 pm

Studies have shown that some steroids can have a beneficial healing effect on the body. When you overuse and abuse them (like any other drug), is when things like rage and what not come into play.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

hmmm...

Postby matmat » Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:24 pm

Doesn't the fact that these guys are getting suspended mean that they have previously been caught using some stuff? (i.e. the first violation lands you in rehab and nothing leaks to the media, right?)
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: hmmm...

Postby BrutallyHuge » Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:26 pm

matmat wrote:Doesn't the fact that these guys are getting suspended mean that they have previously been caught using some stuff? (i.e. the first violation lands you in rehab and nothing leaks to the media, right?)

I'm unfamiliar with the NFL substance abuse policy. I know the new MLB steroid policy is very lenient though.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cake » Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:35 pm

The scary thing about steriods is that there are so many different varieties out there and there is no way to check for them all.

In sports such as cycling, EPO was all the rage. For those of you that dont know what EPO is, it is a naturally occuring hormone in the body that increases red blood cell count, allowing your body to carry more oxygen. The affect it has is to boost stamina.

The only way to check this is to measure every athletes red blood cell count emmediatly before or after a game, the problem with this is that during a game your RBC count will go up on its own becuase of the increased need for oxygen.

There are other ways of boosting one red blood cell count too, such as sleeping in a nitrogen enriched tent, a female canadian cyclist recently got kicked out for doing this.

Science has no bounds and as we learn more and more about how the human body works, the more steriods or preformance enhancing drugs will be created/discovered.
Cake
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby KingGhidra » Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:38 pm

Cake wrote:There are other ways of boosting one red blood cell count too, such as sleeping in a nitrogen enriched tent, a female canadian cyclist recently got kicked out for doing this.

That's interesting. How'd they catch her?
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Re: hmmm...

Postby nichelle » Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:43 pm

matmat wrote:Doesn't the fact that these guys are getting suspended mean that they have previously been caught using some stuff? (i.e. the first violation lands you in rehab and nothing leaks to the media, right?)

The policy for steroids and other substances (including diet supplements), etc is a 4 game suspension on first offense. After that it's a 6 game suspension and then a year suspension.

Interestingly enough, the first offense/one game suspension that includes rehab and no media leaks applies to substances such as marijuana and cocaine.

Please send all questions of 'why' directly to the NFL, care of....
nichelle Beginner
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Cake » Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:15 am

In cycling there is a limit to what your hematocrit can be.

A hematocrit is a measure of what proportion of your blood is RBC's. Basically they centrifuge a blood sample and measure the part that settles to the bottom and compare it to the size of the sample.

The canadian was not taking EPO, she was sleeping in a nitrogen enriched tent. The way this works is by lowering the concentration of oxygen in the air, forcing her body to produce more RBC's in order to get enough oxygen to tissues that need it.

When she does anything that requires alot of muscle activity(ie. cycling) her body is able to continue with aerobic(need oxygen) metabolism instead of anorobic(no oxygen) metabolism. Anorobic metabolism results in the production of lactic acid(why we get cramps).
Cake
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:30 pm

Is creatine(spelling?) a legal drug to use in the NFL? Because I used it when I used to workout(ok, it was for like a month), and it seemed to really help my endurance and after only a month, I noticed a significant change.

Friendliness: %

Postby BrutallyHuge » Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:59 pm

Anonymous wrote:Is creatine(spelling?) a legal drug to use in the NFL? Because I used it when I used to workout(ok, it was for like a month), and it seemed to really help my endurance and after only a month, I noticed a significant change.

It's legal. If you eat ridiculous amounts of certain types of meat, you can achieve what creatine powder will give you. Creatine is naturally occurring in many red meats.

I think creatine is great. MANY studies prove that is has no negative side effects, its very cheap (1kilo for like $16-20), and very effective.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Redskins Win » Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:15 pm

Cake wrote:There are other ways of boosting one red blood cell count too, such as sleeping in a nitrogen enriched tent, a female canadian cyclist recently got kicked out for doing this.

She probably considers herself lucky to have been kicked out of canada. ;-D
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk