BCS Rankings - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

BCS Rankings

Moderator: Football Moderators

BCS Rankings

Postby Metroid » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:17 pm

The rankings are out...

THE BCS: A CLOSER LOOK

Here is the BCS top 12, with the school, its spot in the coaches' poll, its spot in the Harris poll and its BCS computer average. A bonus: We've included NCAA strength of schedule (SOS), which is not part of the BCS formula..

Team Harris Coaches Comp. SOS
1. Florida 1st 1st 1st 8th
2. Alabama 2nd 2nd 2nd 43rd
3. Texas 3rd 3rd 6th T-33rd
4. Boise St 5th 5th 5th T-59th
5. Cincinnati 6th 6th 4th T-67th
6. Iowa 7th 8th 3rd 9th
7. USC 4th 4th 11th T-67th
8. TCU 8th 7th 8th 39th
9. LSU 9th 10th 7th 38th
10. Miami 10th 9th 13th T-22nd
11. Oregon 12th 14th 9th T-18th
12. Ga. Tech 13th 13th 10th T-29th

Thoughts? My first thought is Boise St. is way to high obviously. My second thought is how is USC's SOS 67 when Oregon's is 18? I mean, other than non conference, we play all the same teams. And USC's non conference schedule has to be comparable to the Ducks. Oregon played at #14 Boise St., then Purdue and #18 Utah at home. USC played at #8 Ohio St., San Jose State, then at #25 Notre Dame. Why is there such a big difference? :-?
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Re: BCS Rankings

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:14 pm

I'm glad to see Iowa up there. It's about freaking time they got some love. I hate how Ohio St. was so much higher than them the whole year prior to the loss against Purdue for absolutely no reason.

Disclaimer: Metroid has given me permission to start talking about Iowa.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Metroid » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:24 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Disclaimer: Metroid has given me permission to start talking about Iowa.

:-b ;-D
Metroid

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:35 pm

Metroid wrote:Thoughts? My first thought is Boise St. is way to high obviously. My second thought is how is USC's SOS 67 when Oregon's is 18? I mean, other than non conference, we play all the same teams. And USC's non conference schedule has to be comparable to the Ducks. Oregon played at #14 Boise St., then Purdue and #18 Utah at home. USC played at #8 Ohio St., San Jose State, then at #25 Notre Dame. Why is there such a big difference? :-?

Because the BCS counts what matters, which is the team's rank/record NOW, not when they played (which is irrelevant :-b)

The BCS sees Boise as #4, not #14. Ohio State is #19, not #8, and ND is unranked.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Metroid » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:48 pm

Free Bagel wrote:
Metroid wrote:Thoughts? My first thought is Boise St. is way to high obviously. My second thought is how is USC's SOS 67 when Oregon's is 18? I mean, other than non conference, we play all the same teams. And USC's non conference schedule has to be comparable to the Ducks. Oregon played at #14 Boise St., then Purdue and #18 Utah at home. USC played at #8 Ohio St., San Jose State, then at #25 Notre Dame. Why is there such a big difference? :-?

Because the BCS counts what matters, which is the team's rank/record NOW, not when they played (which is irrelevant :-b)

The BCS sees Boise as #4, not #14. Ohio State is #19, not #8, and ND is unranked.

Ahh I see, I read in the intro that the BCS doesn't take into account the SOS...wait that's what it does say. Anyway I just figured this SOS was one that was established at the beginning of the season. Either way, whether the BCS uses it or not, it makes sense that the SOS would be adjusted throughout the year. :-?
Metroid

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:47 pm

Metroid wrote:Ahh I see, I read in the intro that the BCS doesn't take into account the SOS...wait that's what it does say. Anyway I just figured this SOS was one that was established at the beginning of the season. Either way, whether the BCS uses it or not, it makes sense that the SOS would be adjusted throughout the year. :-?

The BCS doesn't have a separate modifier for SoS anymore, but the computer polls still use SoS.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Metroid » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:56 pm

Free Bagel wrote:
Metroid wrote:Ahh I see, I read in the intro that the BCS doesn't take into account the SOS...wait that's what it does say. Anyway I just figured this SOS was one that was established at the beginning of the season. Either way, whether the BCS uses it or not, it makes sense that the SOS would be adjusted throughout the year. :-?

The BCS doesn't have a separate modifier for SoS anymore, but the computer polls still use SoS.

Right, I knew that the computer polls still used it. I guess I just assumed that SOS was a standard that was set and was not constantly evolving. It makes sense to me now though that it would be adjusted throughout the season. Thanks. ;-D
Metroid

Postby Metroid » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:36 pm

The new top 10

#1 Florida
#2 Alabama
#3 Texas
#4 Iowa
#5 USC
#6 TCU
#7 Boise St.
#8 Cincinnati
#9 LSU
#10 Oregon

What the hell? Iowa jumps all the way to #4? :-?

I like that Oregon has cracked the top 10. ;-D
Metroid

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:37 pm

Metroid wrote:The new top 10

#1 Florida
#2 Alabama
#3 Texas
#4 Iowa
#5 USC
#6 TCU
#7 Boise St.
#8 Cincinnati
#9 LSU
#10 Oregon

What the hell? Iowa jumps all the way to #4? :-?

I like that Oregon has cracked the top 10. ;-D

As much as it's weird that Iowa jumped two spots this week, it was bound to happen anyway. An undefeated Big 10 team is going to get in over a Big East or Mountain West team anyhow, so the fact that it happened this time around instead of a week or two from now makes no huge difference. Either Iowa goes undefeated and hopes for a miracle loss from one of the top three, or Iowa loses to OSU (or maybe someone else) and it's irrelevant. I don't think many people ever really thought Cincy would get in over them if they both went undefeated though.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Metroid » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:48 pm

After what it took for them to sneak out a win yesterday I just can't see them at 4...in fact 4 is a funny number for Iowa, that's the number of points combined they beat Northern Iowa and Arkansas State by. :-b
Metroid

Next

Return to College Football