BCS Rankings - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

BCS Rankings

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: BCS Rankings

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:54 pm

Metroid wrote:After what it took for them to sneak out a win yesterday I just can't see them at 4...in fact 4 is a funny number for Iowa, that's the number of points combined they beat Northern Iowa and Arkansas State by. :-b

I wasn't aware a close game counted for less in the wins column than a blow out. :-?

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:42 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
Metroid wrote:After what it took for them to sneak out a win yesterday I just can't see them at 4...in fact 4 is a funny number for Iowa, that's the number of points combined they beat Northern Iowa and Arkansas State by. :-b

I wasn't aware a close game counted for less in the wins column than a blow out. :-?

They don't, I guess what I'm saying is a team that struggles to beat Northern Iowa or Arkansas St. is not the #4 team in the country.

I know you wanna talk Iowa up, that's cool. 8-0 is impressive but mainly what I'm getting at is that I just don't think they did anything yesterday to validate jumping Cincy or even Boise St. Especially when both those teams won their games convincingly.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Nfl Fan » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:40 am

Metroid wrote:I like that Oregon has cracked the top 10. ;-D

Yep, me too! Take care of business at Autzen this Saturday night and we should move ahead of USC. Where the rankings would wind up, I don't know, but this game is HUGE for both teams.
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:50 pm

Metroid wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:

They don't, I guess what I'm saying is a team that struggles to beat Northern Iowa or Arkansas St. is not the #4 team in the country.

I know you wanna talk Iowa up, that's cool. 8-0 is impressive but mainly what I'm getting at is that I just don't think they did anything yesterday to validate jumping Cincy or even Boise St. Especially when both those teams won their games convincingly.

Trust me, I agree that nothing they did against State should make them jump those teams, but mainly my point is that an undefeated team is essentially always going to wind up ahead of an undefeated Big East or non-major conference team, so the fact that it happened this week instead of a week or two down the road doesn't make a difference. If Iowa goes undefeated, they end up ahead of Cincy and Boise St. anyway. If they lose, it's irrelevant. Also, two of the top three lose by the time BCS decisions come out, none of this really matters. If two of those three are undefeated, they'll play for the National Championship. Next, if Iowa wins the big 10 (regardless of if they're undefeated or not) they go to the Rose Bowl (almost certainly against the winner of the USC/Oregon game), and undefeated Cincy and Boise St. teams go to another BCS game.

Oh and side note: For what it's worth, Iowa is #1 in the computer rankings right now (yes, they are ahead of Florida, Alabama, and Texas).

A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:13 am

It's kind of funny that when Florida, Bama, or Texas even let a mediocre team close to them in the 4th quarter everyone goes up in arms about how maybe they're not all that good, etc. But when Iowa is trailing a mediocre team with 2 seconds left and wins it's considered a good win. These are all "top 5" teams we're talking about here, right?

Anyway, I digress, because the days of teams blowing out everyone by 60 points are over. And that's the problem I have with the Boise St and TCU's of the world. People say it's not fair to the small schools that a team can go undefeated and not play for the title. To the contrary, I say it would not be fair to the big schools if those small schools COULD play for the title.

Hear me out. The parity amongst BCS schools is so high nowadays. The BCS conference teams have to bring their 'A' game every single week, because if they play poorly against even one of the bad BCS teams, they're in for a fight. The small schools don't have this worry. They can bring their 'D' or 'F' game one week and all it means is that they only beat Northtown Idaho Mcneese Community College by 30 instead of 50.

I think BYU is a perfect example. Imagine if, after beating Oklahoma, they played Boise State's schedule the rest of the way. They would have cake-walked through it and everyone would have whined about them playing in the title game. But instead, they had a bad day against a bad BCS team (FSU), and got blown out by 30 points! If they had played like that against Southern Wyoming they would have just won by a couple scores and no one would have noticed.

Anyway, that's my rant for the day that's just been bothering me when listening to sports talk radio and whatnot when they focus on 1 or 2 games from these teams (the only 1 or 2 games they play all year, mind you), whereas everyone else in the country has to actually play 8-10 games without slipping up.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:13 am

Free Bagel wrote:It's kind of funny that when Florida, Bama, or Texas even let a mediocre team close to them in the 4th quarter everyone goes up in arms about how maybe they're not all that good, etc. But when Iowa is trailing a mediocre team with 2 seconds left and wins it's considered a good win. These are all "top 5" teams we're talking about here, right?

The difference is, Texas, Florida, and Bama are the 3 teams being considered for the National Championship right now. If people were saying an undefeated Iowa would have any chance in the world to get in over an undefeated Texas, then I could understand this argument. For a team considered to be where people put Iowa right now, any win over a pretty good team is a good win, because they are not considered to be on championship tier. They are considered to be significantly worse than the top 3, which is why there is a double standard. The fact that they're all top 5 teams doesn't really matter, given the separation in people's minds (justifiably) between #s 1-3 and #4.

A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Metroid » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:24 pm

Here is the latest BCS top 10...link

#1 Florida
#2 Texas
#3 Alabama
#4 Iowa
#5 Cincinnati
#6 TCU
#7 Boise St.
#8 Oregon
#9 LSU
#10 Georgia Tech

Oregon up only 2 spots to #8. :-?

SC drops to #12.
Metroid

Postby The Lung » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:08 pm

Oregon being ranked behind TCU & Boise St is a joke. :-t
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby Metroid » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:19 pm

The Lung wrote:Oregon being ranked behind TCU & Boise St is a joke. :-t

Totally agree. Oregon should be ahead of all three Boise, TCU, and Cincy....and probably even Iowa. I know Oregon would crush any of those 4 if they played right now.

Stupid Boise St. :-[
Metroid

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:25 pm

I don't get how USC's body of work up to last week was any more impressive than Oregon's is now. They both play a Pac 10 schedule, and USC played against Ohio St., whereas Oregon played against Boise St. I guess Notre Dame is a nice win, but I still take Oregon's work this week up to USC's prior to their loss Saturday.

A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to College Football