HELP! This could be my last year. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

HELP! This could be my last year.

Moderator: Football Moderators

HELP! This could be my last year.

Postby Nfl Fan » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:52 pm

I've played FF for 11 years and am thinking about not playing at all next year. :-o Currently in three leagues, I'm just not having the fun with it that I've had in the past. I miss football the way it was BEFORE this game. Yeah, this game is fun, but I miss pure football. I miss watching last night's game for the purity of the game rather than if LT will score for me in one league and Marshall in the other.

Anybody else go through this? Or do I just need an intervention? O:-)
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: HELP! This could be my last year.

Postby dream_017 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:59 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:I've played FF for 11 years and am thinking about not playing at all next year. :-o Currently in three leagues, I'm just not having the fun with it that I've had in the past. I miss football the way it was BEFORE this game. Yeah, this game is fun, but I miss pure football. I miss watching last night's game for the purity of the game rather than if LT will score for me in one league and Marshall in the other.

Anybody else go through this? Or do I just need an intervention? O:-)

For the record I have never thought about quitting. I just like the game too much, but I have changed the way I go about watching on Sundays/Mondays. I too used to wait for the tickers or try to find the latest scoring update, without actually watching the game that was on. I now just watch the games and once my line-up is set, I don't worry about it until Tuesday morning. Sure I check out the fantasy scores late Sunday night to see where I am, but I don't sit and wait around for my players to score. I think it helped by be being in so many leagues, it was just too confusing to root for someone to score, but not too much that I lose another game. I have my league that mean more than others and really want them to win, but I play more for the enjoyment, which lets me watch the actual games in a better light
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby Metroid » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:36 pm

Yup that's exactly why I don't play anymore. Well to be fair I did quit mostly due to moving back to Cali, but I didn't start back up because I realized I had actually been watching and enjoying the real game of football more. I'll probably join another friendly fun league again at some point, but I have a hard time not doing exactly what dream is able to avoid...staring at the ticker, or hovering over my computer waiting for stat updates.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby dream_017 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:49 pm

Metroid wrote:Yup that's exactly why I don't play anymore. Well to be fair I did quit mostly due to moving back to Cali, but I didn't start back up because I realized I had actually been watching and enjoying the real game of football more. I'll probably join another friendly fun league again at some point, but I have a hard time not doing exactly what dream is able to avoid...staring at the ticker, or hovering over my computer waiting for stat updates.

I think part of why I'm able to avoid it is due to the fact of my season tickets. I'm gone for the 1:00 games 1/2 the season and not able to stat check or sit in front of a computer, so the other weekends it doesn't bother me to not do it either. I also don't home until well into the 4:00 games on those weekends. I put my time in during the week to set my best line-up (as best I can in some leagues :-{ ) On Sundays, there is nothing more I can do, sure I get excited when I see a highlight where my player scores but I don't go nuts trying to get that info.

I did for a couple seasons just root for my players and didn't enjoy the games as much. Then when I expanded into more leagues here at the Cafe, I realized I can't root for players to get within a range of points so I win both, which sent me back to watching the actual games. I have since cut back on FF teams and still been able to enjoy the NFL games.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:03 pm

I can relate. I stopped playing fantasy football a few years back for the same reasons. I was glued to the Stat Tracker, long before CBS made their games more fantasy football-friendly to watch. Watching games with fantasy implications first and foremost in mind, as well as my top teams' inability to win a stinking playoff game, just led me to be burned out. Lo and behold, I cared less and less each year about draft preparation. I'm still coaxed into joining one or two fantasy football leagues, but I'm pretty much carefree with the way I manage those teams. It feels good to watch the NFL without having a vested interest in things (don't even have a favorite NFL team, you know !+)).

On a different note, this was the first year in a long while that I didn't enjoy fantasy baseball. Maybe it's because of the variety of leagues I was in and/or the fact I had been through so much this year, but I've even thought about passing up on baseball altogether next year. Hopefully, the next few months of not thinking about fantasy baseball (until about Jan-Feb) will help a good deal.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby steelerfan513 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:21 pm

You don't need an intervention. I only have 2 leagues now after having many more than that in the past, and if I had to drop it completely I definitely could without missing it. Most of the fun I have with it is managing the only Cafe team I have because it's a very complicated league (salary cap, contracts, full lineup of IDPs); I'm caring less and less about whether my teams actually win during the season. I'm caring less and less about football in general, to be honest, although I still make an effort to watch the Steelers. They're not on TV too often in Columbia, MO though. :,-(
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Nfl Fan » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:19 pm

Metroid wrote:Yup that's exactly why I don't play anymore. Well to be fair I did quit mostly due to moving back to Cali, but I didn't start back up because I realized I had actually been watching and enjoying the real game of football more. I'll probably join another friendly fun league again at some point, but I have a hard time not doing exactly what dream is able to avoid...staring at the ticker, or hovering over my computer waiting for stat updates.

Huh. That comment strengthens the side that says,
"Give it a rest for a year and see what you think." :-?

One problem, my 11 year league is full of guys who are now my good friends. I just know what it'd be like... "C'mon, Nfl Fan, don't quit..." etc.

they don't really call me Nfl Fan, but you get the picture. :-b
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Metroid » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:38 pm

Yeah I dunno man, maybe you could find someone who's willing to "fill in" for a year while you take the year off. Then you'll know for sure if you really want to walk away. Maybe you just need a break. :-?

The one thing I do like about FFB still is doing mocks. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:39 pm

Yeah, I'm not playing at all this year mainly because I wouldn't have the time, but to be honest, I really don't miss it that much. It was fun to play and I could see myself playing again at some point, but watching football just to watch football really is kind of nice.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:33 pm

There is no way I could quit. I just enjoy the action too much. To me its the same high I get when in Vegas.

There are some things I hate about it like why does the other guy always have some no namer go off on me. And when my guys suck. But for the most part I really get enjoyment out of it.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Next

Return to General Talk