HELP! This could be my last year. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

HELP! This could be my last year.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: HELP! This could be my last year.

Postby portisfan24 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:36 am

When I first started playing I thought like that, but after 6 or 7 years it doesn't really bother me. One thing I never do is look at my opponents teams for the week. That way when I watch Brady light it up, I don't feel a little sad knowing that he's going to drop 50 points on me. Besides that if I'm watching a game between two neutral teams I can casually cheer for my players, but I don't let it take over my experience.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:09 am

Yep, it hit me too, a couple years ago. I was in a few leagues and simply stopped paying attention. Then I won one of the leagues I paid little attention to (until the playoffs) and I won the championship. That shouldn't happen and that turned me off to FF pretty good. I have a buddy league that I'm still in that we've had going for 9 or so years now and I help a coworker in his competitive league (oh, hey, here's a link to a question I have too O:-) :-b ), but that's it. Doesn't seem as competitive as it used to be and too many things seem to be out of a good manager's control. I do enjoy my buddy league, because these are guys from high school and we've been playing for years and it's just silly fun, but I might be done with competitive leagues from here on out.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:21 am

You can't quit fantasy football. I won't let you.

Wait until May or June to make your decision, when you haven't had your football crack in a while, and see if you feel the same way.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Metroid » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:25 am

scottaa1 wrote:You can't quit fantasy football. I won't let you.

Wait until May or June to make your decision, when you haven't had your football crack in a while, and see if you feel the same way.

That's a good call, that's about the only time of the year I have the "itch." :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Nfl Fan » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:55 pm

scottaa1 wrote:You can't quit fantasy football. I won't let you.

LOL... that's a good idea. :-D
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:06 am

dream_017 wrote:
Nfl Fan wrote:I've played FF for 11 years and am thinking about not playing at all next year. :-o Currently in three leagues, I'm just not having the fun with it that I've had in the past. I miss football the way it was BEFORE this game. Yeah, this game is fun, but I miss pure football. I miss watching last night's game for the purity of the game rather than if LT will score for me in one league and Marshall in the other.

Anybody else go through this? Or do I just need an intervention? O:-)

For the record I have never thought about quitting. I just like the game too much, but I have changed the way I go about watching on Sundays/Mondays. I too used to wait for the tickers or try to find the latest scoring update, without actually watching the game that was on. I now just watch the games and once my line-up is set, I don't worry about it until Tuesday morning. Sure I check out the fantasy scores late Sunday night to see where I am, but I don't sit and wait around for my players to score. I think it helped by be being in so many leagues, it was just too confusing to root for someone to score, but not too much that I lose another game. I have my league that mean more than others and really want them to win, but I play more for the enjoyment, which lets me watch the actual games in a better light

What this wise man said...to a tee. ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby joejlitz » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:27 pm

GREAT THREAD, simply because I know exactly where you are coming from. When the Eagles are on, I can pretty much tune out my need for a fantasy fix, but not always. More often than not, I am always looking in the upper right hand corner to see if another team scored and then to figure out if it was one of my players or not. It's terrible. I do not enjoy the games or my Sundays as much as I used to. I wish I did. But at the same time, I am in a league with childhood friends as well and don't wanna quit. Plus, in 6 years, I have 3 runners ups and no championships. So, it would feel like quitting. :-t

But - you are totally right. My Sundays are less enjoyable. I can't concentrate on the Eagles as much as I used to. I wish I went to the games every other Sunday like Dream - that would help. And I like someone else's idea about not looking at my opponent's players. I might try that. ;-D
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby ayebatter » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:16 am

I don't watch football, and I have little to no knowledge of the teams or players, and I don't look at the scoring in my leagues 'till Sunday night, but I do like playing FFB against all of you who do have the knowledge. Its just a numbers game for me, something to do 'till FBB starts back up. I think you should play your FFB and quit watching the games. Come over to the darkside. ;-D
I remember Yale Larry
ayebatter Beginner
Water Boy
Water Boy

Baseball Mod
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Manja » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:20 am

Yeah.. This year has been different not playing in a single league. I find myself enjoying the games much more.I still read Rotoworld religiously and come here often, but that's just more for what's happening in the NFL, as I like to keep myself informed. I get the itch a little bit, especially when some friends ask for advice, but overall, it's nice to just cheer for huge plays and not worry about how my opponent had Tom Brady and Ray Rice last week.

Then again, I still feel the disappointment when certain teams lose because I still partake in a football pool every week. But the money's sweet.
Manja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby joejlitz » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:46 am

ayebatter wrote:I don't watch football, and I have little to no knowledge of the teams or players, and I don't look at the scoring in my leagues 'till Sunday night, but I do like playing FFB against all of you who do have the knowledge. Its just a numbers game for me, something to do 'till FBB starts back up. I think you should play your FFB and quit watching the games. Come over to the darkside. ;-D

Welcome to the right side, Max! Kick off your shoes and stay awhile! ;-D
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk