Yahoo Divisional League- Seeding Question - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Yahoo Divisional League- Seeding Question

Moderator: Football Moderators

Yahoo Divisional League- Seeding Question

Postby HBNYC » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:17 pm

I am the commissioner of a 12 team Yahoo league, with 4 divisions of 3 teams each. We play a schedule where you play your divisional opponents twice per year, and the other 9 teams one time per year, over the course of a 13 week regular season. The best two divisional winners receive a first round playoff bye, while the other two divisional winners play the two wildcard teams in the first round.

In the beginning of the season (after the first 2 games or so) it appeared the teams were seeded WITHIN the division first by record (obviously), then by DIVISIONAL record, and then by POINTS. For instance, After week one, I believe there were two 1-0 teams, but the team with less points was actually leading since he had beat a division opponent.

However, now it seems to have changed- we currently have two teams within the same division, seeded #9 and #11 with equal 2-4 records, but the #9 team has more points and is 0-2 in division play, and the #11 team has less points but is 1-1 in divisional play.

So what is the seeding policy for a league like mine? Do divisional records count for anything? I'd like it to, and I realize I can just adjust team points to affect seeding, but I'd rather it didn't come to that. I've searched through the Help section on Yahoo, but could not find any answeres.

Bonus Question- Does head to head have any effect on seeding? If two teams from different divisions finish with the same record tied for the final playoff spot, does head to head record apply?
HBNYC
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Yahoo Divisional League- Seeding Question

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:11 pm

HBNYC wrote:I am the commissioner of a 12 team Yahoo league, with 4 divisions of 3 teams each. We play a schedule where you play your divisional opponents twice per year, and the other 9 teams one time per year, over the course of a 13 week regular season. The best two divisional winners receive a first round playoff bye, while the other two divisional winners play the two wildcard teams in the first round.

In the beginning of the season (after the first 2 games or so) it appeared the teams were seeded WITHIN the division first by record (obviously), then by DIVISIONAL record, and then by POINTS. For instance, After week one, I believe there were two 1-0 teams, but the team with less points was actually leading since he had beat a division opponent.

However, now it seems to have changed- we currently have two teams within the same division, seeded #9 and #11 with equal 2-4 records, but the #9 team has more points and is 0-2 in division play, and the #11 team has less points but is 1-1 in divisional play.

So what is the seeding policy for a league like mine? Do divisional records count for anything? I'd like it to, and I realize I can just adjust team points to affect seeding, but I'd rather it didn't come to that. I've searched through the Help section on Yahoo, but could not find any answeres.

Bonus Question- Does head to head have any effect on seeding? If two teams from different divisions finish with the same record tied for the final playoff spot, does head to head record apply?

Everything should be listed in your tiebreakers section. I have no idea why it seemed to change the way tiebreakers are figured out. Did you find anything in the help section? I clicked on 'scoring & playoffs' & found the 'playoffs & tiebreakers' section, which had a lot of information. I don't see anything about division record though. I'd email customer support if you couldn't find answers in the help section. Good luck! ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)

Re: Yahoo Divisional League- Seeding Question

Postby HBNYC » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:29 am

flotsamnjetsam wrote:
HBNYC wrote:I am the commissioner of a 12 team Yahoo league, with 4 divisions of 3 teams each. We play a schedule where you play your divisional opponents twice per year, and the other 9 teams one time per year, over the course of a 13 week regular season. The best two divisional winners receive a first round playoff bye, while the other two divisional winners play the two wildcard teams in the first round.

Everything should be listed in your tiebreakers section. I have no idea why it seemed to change the way tiebreakers are figured out. Did you find anything in the help section? I clicked on 'scoring & playoffs' & found the 'playoffs & tiebreakers' section, which had a lot of information. I don't see anything about division record though. I'd email customer support if you couldn't find answers in the help section. Good luck! ;-D

Ok, I think I found it. I don't know why but I think part of the issue is Yahoo needs to update all of their Help pages to reflect division play. Some of it is outdated.

Anyway, what I found is basically this- Divisional records ONLY break ties for the division lead, and does not affect seeding between non-first place teams. Which makes sense, since wildcards can come from any division, and division record should not affect those races.

Thanks!
HBNYC
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Commissioner's Corner