Keeper League Strategy? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Keeper League Strategy?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Keeper League Strategy?

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:27 pm

Lets just say that you are not going to make the playoffs and your league keeps 2

say your team has
kitna bulger
portis faulk
driver smith mccariens

i was wondering that since you are not going to make the playoffs why not trade faulk driver smith and bulger and try to get someone like holmes

then you will have holmes and portis next year?

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby 9er Fan » Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:59 pm

In my keeper league, you probably wouldn't do it for the following reasons:

1. Last place team has to throw a keg party for the league
2. Draft position for the following year has a somewhat complicated formula, but the team that finishes last during the playoffs gets something like the 5th overall pick.

Basically there are incentives in place to do as well as possible. If your league has no such incentives, then go for it. I wouldn't be surprised to see it get challenged/overturned though.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:25 pm

In my keeper league I decided that if I start stinking I would do this. In fact my commish suggested it to a guy while his team was tanking. As long as there is no collusion I don't think there is a problem with it. If your league is like his (above) that is a different story.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby VHawk15 » Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:16 pm

Yeah, that's actually a pretty good and often used strategy in keeper leagues. Of course, I would never go for Priest in a keeper league. He's over 30.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby The Guru » Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:40 pm

I packaged McNair, Taylor, C. Johnson for Stephen Davis since I'm done for this year and I upgraded my 3 keepers.

My 3 keepers: (12 team league)
Ricky Williams
Stephen Davis
Hines Ward

That trade almost got vetoed by the league, it had 5 votes against it, but my league needs 6 votes for a vetoe.
The Guru
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KingNothing31685 » Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:23 am

c johnson looks like he is gonna be good in the future....hope you dont regret that later with stephen davis' age and injury concerns...whatever though ...good luck wiht it all
KingNothing31685
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby wild_eyed_lunatic » Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:31 am

I'm gettin in a keeper league next year... from the looks of this thread I'm buyin stock in Excedrin.
TY FFBALL CAFE!!! #1 SEED!!!!!
wild_eyed_lunatic Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Location: thumbing the yellow pages for a statitistics major with nice knockers

Postby tjhksig » Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:14 am

I don't know if I'd say stay away from Priest; he has plenty of good years left (look at Faulk in his 30's), and is good for a keeper for at least another 2 years. I would only consider maybe taking Lewis instead of him, depending on the deal.
tjhksig
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Guru » Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:26 am

KingNothing31685 wrote:c johnson looks like he is gonna be good in the future....hope you dont regret that later with stephen davis' age and injury concerns...whatever though ...good luck wiht it all

With the emergence of Peter Warric,k C. Johnson's numbers and most importantly td's have been down the last couple of weeks. I would be crazy to keep him over Hines Ward. So I figured why not package my good players who I'm not gunna keep anyway and upgrade at RB.
The Guru
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby stormriders » Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:41 am

I agree that Holmes has good years left, he didn't have as many carries early in his career that most backs have so he might be productive longer. As for Faulk, hard to say he still has two good years left, too many injuries. I think LT would be perfect in a keeper league...most talented back out of them all. He just needs a better defence so he can get his carries, and i can see San Diego improving next year.
stormriders
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk