Jeff Fisher's Job Security - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jeff Fisher's Job Security

Moderator: Football Moderators

Jeff Fisher's Job Security

Postby Kareighuis » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:45 am

Just heard ESPN's Chris Mortensen talk about Owner Bud Adams and Jeff Fisher and the coach's job security. This NFP article is the only internet source I could find referring to this. This article doesn't refer to his job security directly, but a meeting he had with the owner after the loss to the Patriots. Combine this with the coach's preference for Kerry Collins and the owner's preference for Vince Young, and you can see another seed for conflict.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Jeff Fisher's Job Security

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:44 am

i thought i saw something on ESPN or NFL that said Adams wouldnt make a change mid-season because "you dont know what your going to get" or something like that. i cant see a guy like Fisher getting fired mid-season, but i wouldnt be surprised to see him get the ax after the season and then get a lucrative contract somewhere else
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SameSongNDance » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:37 am

-kffl

Titans | Fisher apologizes for wearing Colts jersey at charity function

Wed, 21 Oct 2009 06:41:54 -0700

ESPN.com reports Tennessee Titans head coach Jeff Fisher apologized during his weekly radio show for wearing a jersey of Indianapolis Colts QB Peyton Manning at a charity function. Fisher wore the jersey while appearing at a charity event at Lipscomb University in Nashville with former Colts head coach Tony Dungy, among others, Tuesday, Oct. 20. When he introduced Dungy, Fisher took off his jacket and shirt, revealing a Manning Colts jersey underneath, saying "I just wanted to feel like a winner." Although Fisher apologized, he made it clear he did not do anything wrong. "It was for a very, very worthwhile cause, charity," Fisher said. "I was introducing Tony, just having fun with it and I really apologize if I offended anybody, but if you're offended over the nature of that type of thing, then I think you need to rethink things."
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Metroid » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:40 am

I agree, I don't think a mid season firing will do any good here, but he probably should get the ax after the season. I do not like his stubbornness with wanting to stick with Collins after such an awful start.

SameSongNDance wrote:-kffl

Titans | Fisher apologizes for wearing Colts jersey at charity function

Wed, 21 Oct 2009 06:41:54 -0700

ESPN.com reports Tennessee Titans head coach Jeff Fisher apologized during his weekly radio show for wearing a jersey of Indianapolis Colts QB Peyton Manning at a charity function. Fisher wore the jersey while appearing at a charity event at Lipscomb University in Nashville with former Colts head coach Tony Dungy, among others, Tuesday, Oct. 20. When he introduced Dungy, Fisher took off his jacket and shirt, revealing a Manning Colts jersey underneath, saying "I just wanted to feel like a winner." Although Fisher apologized, he made it clear he did not do anything wrong. "It was for a very, very worthwhile cause, charity," Fisher said. "I was introducing Tony, just having fun with it and I really apologize if I offended anybody, but if you're offended over the nature of that type of thing, then I think you need to rethink things."

Stay class Jeff Fisher. Now he should be fired.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby biju » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:45 am

I'll tell you what I hate about this: I think the coach here is kinda getting screwed. Here's a Titans team that was built purely to dominate the running game on both sides of the ball. Of course, when Haynesworth left in FA it meant the team was extremely mismatched as it was going to get behind in games quickly and then have to use its weakness (passing the ball) to try to win games.

Personally I would blame the GM and who ever pushed to draft Vince Young much more than I would Fisher, who was the guy who realized that Vince Young isn't in a mental state to lead a team and made a very unpopular switch last year. Then he basically had to stick with him with the pressure of performing at the same level this year although clearly missing a key element on defense.

The only point that could be made is Fisher needs to go back to Young now because the team needs to make a big decision on him this offseason and he needs to be thrown into the fire as a test, or rather as a scapegoat so management can point to something when they cut him this offseason.

I kinda feel the same way with Zorn because Dan Snyder is quickly becoming Al Davis East and it's easier on Snyder's ego to think this was Zorn's fault.

On the opposite end are the coaches who decided to throw out their OC weeks before the season began. I can understand Chan Gailey because Haley can do the job just fine. But the Bucs and Bills made huge mistakes and those coaches are going to pay the price at the end of the season.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Slayer Rules » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:00 pm

If Fisher seriously wants to stay with Collins than it is he who needs to "rethink things". There's no point in doing that at this juncture, and if he insists in doing so he qualifies as being delusional and may as well leave now.
Slayer Rules
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Mello » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:34 pm

Slayer Rules wrote:If Fisher seriously wants to stay with Collins than it is he who needs to "rethink things". There's no point in doing that at this juncture, and if he insists in doing so he qualifies as being delusional and may as well leave now.

It's stupid to just make a change just because. I know coaches usually do because they want a scapegoat, but if he really thinks VY is worse, why put him in? I think we all saw enough of him to know he isn't the answer. I'm guessing there's been no improvement in practice. It looks obvious to me that QB isn't the main problem here.
Mello
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby 49ersavior » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:56 pm

If Fisher gets fired, there will be teams lining up to hire him after all the disappointments this year. I highly doubt that he's the problem, or that Collins is the problem. Imo, Denver and Tennesse switched places not on offense, but defense. Point it at Chuck Cecil and his defense.
49ersavior
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mattb47 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:14 pm

I think Jeff Fischer is a great coach...just too many things going wrong this year for the Titans that he really just didn't have much of a chance. Kerry Collins was never going to be a QB you could rely on to win games for you...he never had to last year and it's clear this year that when he has to, he just can't. This team was built to shut people down on defense so that they can run all game long with their 1-2 punch at RB.

Losing Haynesworth and Schwartz on defense has killed them along all the injuries in the secondary. Just a lost season.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby thejusman1 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:24 pm

If I were a Titans fan, I'd be furious right now. You don't wear an opposing team's jersey as the head coach, especially if your team is 0-6 and you got obliterated by that specific player in a recent game. Maybe I wouldn't call for his head just yet, considering he is coming off a 13-3 season, but this would definitely add some fuel to that fire.
thejusman1
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Football Talk