Jeff Fisher's Job Security - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jeff Fisher's Job Security

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Jeff Fisher's Job Security

Postby moochman » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:03 pm

I don't care who was the guest of honor or what the charity was, you don't rock another team's jersey and talk about wanting to feel like a winner. I don't think for a minute that Fisher is that dumb, so where does that leave us? Methinks there is a certain rat that wants to jump ship. But being the head coach means he has to go down with the ship unless someone throws him off.
Fisher is tired of the medling from the GM, made worse by the horrid start making starting dinosaur Collins over future (bleak as it may appear) Young nonsensical. I think he wants to be fired. As we've seen over the last few seasons, there are lots of HC jobs the open up every off season. Fisher will be hoping to land one of them.

(Didn't Fisher make some embarrassing comment about Young a couple seasons ago? Memory not so good)

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Slayer Rules » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:36 pm

Mello wrote:It's stupid to just make a change just because. I know coaches usually do because they want a scapegoat, but if he really thinks VY is worse, why put him in? I think we all saw enough of him to know he isn't the answer. I'm guessing there's been no improvement in practice. It looks obvious to me that QB isn't the main problem here.

Are you serious?

What is the purpose of continuing to play a 37-year old QB when you're 0-6? They need to evaluate Young - it's one of the few reasons left to play out the string. Their season is over. Collins has a 62.0 QB rating. He was 2-12 for -7 last week.
Slayer Rules
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby justinj312 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:59 pm

I think Fisher is a great coach, maybe top 5. I don't blame him for starting Collins. I have a feeling once VYoung gets to start, he will do even worse. You cant blame Fisher for TEN's QB situation.

TEN must rebuild, and Fisher is the one to do it.
thx

-justinj312
justinj312
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Slayer Rules » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:08 am

justinj312 wrote:I think Fisher is a great coach, maybe top 5. I don't blame him for starting Collins. I have a feeling once VYoung gets to start, he will do even worse. You cant blame Fisher for TEN's QB situation.

1. Bolded = not possible.
2. You don't rebuild with a 37-year-old QB, regardless of who the coach is.

Really bizarre that so many posters here think Kerry Collins needs to continue to start. Bizarre.
Slayer Rules
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Munboy » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:19 am

Slayer Rules wrote:
justinj312 wrote:I think Fisher is a great coach, maybe top 5. I don't blame him for starting Collins. I have a feeling once VYoung gets to start, he will do even worse. You cant blame Fisher for TEN's QB situation.

1. Bolded = not possible.
2. You don't rebuild with a 37-year-old QB, regardless of who the coach is.

Really bizarre that so many posters here think Kerry Collins needs to continue to start. Bizarre.

Tennessee's problem is the loss of haynesworth and injuries and subpar play in the secondary. They're a team built to control the ball and dominate on D. If they can't stop the other team from scoring, then they get into a shootout, which their O is just not built for. Their running game is struggling as well, so more blame can be placed on the Oline. Collins is not the problem and replacing him won't magically let them start winning games. People cry, "See what you have in Young!" Yea, well...they've seen what they have in Young. An erratic passer who can't read defenses and has the hardest time completing the simplest throws. "Oh, but he won rookie of the year!" ....Yea? So? He didn't win it with his arm. His defense carried him, and he made a few plays with his legs.

My prediction? Collins will start 1 or 2 more games and if they continue to loss, Fisher will put in Young...and they will continue to loss. In the off season, they will cut Young and keep Collins for one more year as a place holder for the QB they pick up in next year's draft. ;-D

Oh and for people who think Fisher crossed some kind of line, lighten up! He was just making a little joke and poking fun at himself. If that is the kind of thing that upsets you to the point that you have to post your anger on message boards, or call in sports talk shows yelling, you need to rearrange the priorities in your life. ;-D
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Slayer Rules » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:54 am

Munboy-

1. I agree the jersey thing is a nonissue - couldn't care less and that's why I haven't been mentioning it.
2. I don't doubt that the Titans will continue to lose with VY in - whether they win or lose at this point is pretty irrelevant since their season is already over. I'm not suggesting they put in VY to "turn their season around" - too late for that. There's simply no point in having Collins continue to play.
3. VY has played 2 whole seasons as a starter. I think it's pretty ridiculous to give up on him after that short a time in the league. I'm not convinced that he's a complete washout yet - the only way to completely convince me one way or the other is to see him play the remainder of this season before I as an owner decide whether to re-sign him.
Slayer Rules
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Kareighuis » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:04 pm

Slayer Rules wrote:VY has played 2 whole seasons as a starter. I think it's pretty ridiculous to give up on him after that short a time in the league. I'm not convinced that he's a complete washout yet - the only way to completely convince me one way or the other is to see him play the remainder of this season before I as an owner decide whether to re-sign him.

Young is signed into the 2011 season. This year, he's making 2.6 mil. Next year, he's slated to get nearly 12 million, though 4.25 is a voidable roster bonus.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 3)

Postby biju » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:11 pm

Kareighuis wrote:
Slayer Rules wrote:VY has played 2 whole seasons as a starter. I think it's pretty ridiculous to give up on him after that short a time in the league. I'm not convinced that he's a complete washout yet - the only way to completely convince me one way or the other is to see him play the remainder of this season before I as an owner decide whether to re-sign him.

Young is signed into the 2011 season. This year, he's making 2.6 mil. Next year, he's slated to get nearly 12 million, though 4.25 is a voidable roster bonus.

Correct. The pressure right now is to get him in there to see whether they want to pay him for 2010 or cut him and save the money. I'm not sure how that affects their cap, but with a cap-free season looming the owner might simply want to save some cash and take the hit when it doesn't cost the team anything.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:13 pm

Fisher is trying to get fired and I don't blame him one bit.

The guy has been one of the best coaches in the league for a long time. Fisher has twice built that team up from one of the worst in the league to one of the best. Yet how do they reward the guy? The front office puts the team on the field and Fisher has to pick out players from that mess who can win. It doesn't always work that way. Those drafts in Tennessee have been horrible in recent years. And ownership in Tennessee is pretty bad overall IMO, we will see that when they try to replace Fisher. The front office got them seriously screwed in a salary cap mess several years back.

The team doesn't listen to Fisher regarding personnel decisions even though Fisher is the guy responsible for putting the best team on the field each week. And when you've got the front office hamstringing the coach, it almost never works out. Fisher didn't want Vince Young. Now he is the guy on the hot seat because we are witnessing a washed up Kerry Collins trying to lead a team that no longer has the best defense in the league. Derrick Mason was washed up 3 years ago, but wait a minute that guy is still the #1 WR in Baltimore. Let's go into a season with Justin Gage and FA career #3 WR Nate Washington and see how that works. And how did they let Haynesworth go in the franchise tag era anyways? Might as well have let Peyton Manning walk on offense if you are gonna let go of Haynesworth on defense. Why did they bring in Vince Young over Fisher's objections? Who calls the shots there? Might as well pull a Synder and bring in "another set of eyes". Or better yet, do the guy a favor and pull an AL Davis and fire the guy for "cause" so he can move on to a better franchise.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Munboy » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:32 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Fisher is trying to get fired and I don't blame him one bit.

The guy has been one of the best coaches in the league for a long time. Fisher has twice built that team up from one of the worst in the league to one of the best. Yet how do they reward the guy? The front office puts the team on the field and Fisher has to pick out players from that mess who can win. It doesn't always work that way. Those drafts in Tennessee have been horrible in recent years. And ownership in Tennessee is pretty bad overall IMO, we will see that when they try to replace Fisher. The front office got them seriously screwed in a salary cap mess several years back.

The team doesn't listen to Fisher regarding personnel decisions even though Fisher is the guy responsible for putting the best team on the field each week. And when you've got the front office hamstringing the coach, it almost never works out. Fisher didn't want Vince Young. Now he is the guy on the hot seat because we are witnessing a washed up Kerry Collins trying to lead a team that no longer has the best defense in the league. Derrick Mason was washed up 3 years ago, but wait a minute that guy is still the #1 WR in Baltimore. Let's go into a season with Justin Gage and FA career #3 WR Nate Washington and see how that works. And how did they let Haynesworth go in the franchise tag era anyways? Might as well have let Peyton Manning walk on offense if you are gonna let go of Haynesworth on defense. Why did they bring in Vince Young over Fisher's objections? Who calls the shots there? Might as well pull a Synder and bring in "another set of eyes". Or better yet, do the guy a favor and pull an AL Davis and fire the guy for "cause" so he can move on to a better franchise.

If I remember right, Fisher was completely against drafting Young, and was overruled. It's no wonder he's not in a hurry to rush Young back onto the field. With a $14 million cap hit coming next year and the fact that they haven't tried to restruction Young's contract tells me he won't be on the team next season, which is why he's not on the field yet.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk