8 Mile - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

8 Mile

Moderator: Football Moderators

8 Mile

Postby DraftDodger » Tue Nov 19, 2002 5:45 pm

I was dragged kicking and screaming to see this movie. I detest rap music, and "angry white boy, who hates his mom, makes good in the ghetto" just wasn't my idea of a good movie.

I was wrong.

8 Mile is one of the best movies made this year, perhaps because the character only succeeds through change. Time and again he turns away from the "easy out" and overcomes his own character weaknesses and flaws.

Kim Basinger is all too believable as Rabbit's (Eminem's character) alcoholic trailer trash mother, and all of the characters are shown warts and all.

The climax of the movie is one of the most satisfying I've seen in a long time, as Rabbit faces his fears and lack of self esteem head on.

If you dismiss this movie as "another rap flick", or avoid it because you don't like Eminem's lyrics, you'll do yourself a big disservice. Go see this film, and tell your friends about it.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby slowkidz » Tue Nov 19, 2002 9:58 pm

I have to agree...I was a lil skeptical about this movie to start, but it is very, very good!!! Even my wife liked it, and it wasn't even a sappy romance/comedy. Eminem does a very good job portraying Rabbit. It was great to watch him grow up throughout the movie and end up being the man that he thought he was...I give it 2 thumbs up and a big toe!!

And Kim Bassinger still looked hot!!! Even as a trailer trash mom!!!
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby fntsyrookie » Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:17 pm

I don't like rap much either but I thought that this movie was fantastic. I really don't know if I like Eminem's lyrics/views and all that sort of thing, but for being a rapper, with no acting experience I have to give him props. Very good job. I recommend this movie to everyone. Draft said it perfect.
fntsyrookie
General Manager
General Manager

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby chaindog35 » Wed Nov 20, 2002 7:30 pm

I like rap music.

I like eminem

But I didn't like this movie at all. Where was the plot? It's easier to find a good Qb in Cincy than to find the plot of this one. The whole thing seemed slow and underdeveloped. and what was with Brittany Murphy's character sleeping with everyone who had a pulse. There were good parts like the freestyle rap and the sweet home alabama scene. But really it was decent at best.
chaindog35
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1)

8 Mile

Postby DraftDodger » Thu Nov 21, 2002 2:24 am

Most plots are pretty simple ... in fact some should-be-dead-by-now hack writer has been mailorder selling "The Basic 36 Story Plots" since I was kid, and many writing courses teach that there are only a handful of true plots. The plot in this case is known as The Little Tailor, which involves a character facing his weaknesses and overcoming them to make good.

In 8 Mile, we see Rabbit take that first step to success by facing his fears and weaknesses. It's not the usual slick Hollywood production like Arthur where Dudley Moore stumbles around drunk for two hours, discovers himself, and inherits millions. You never see Rabbit make it big ... you don't even see him cut his demo. But in the climactic "duel", you see him face his fears and overcome his weaknesses.

It's a great story, and it's a great movie. For once, you have someone saying you don't have to become Michael Jordan or Eminem to escape the ghetto. You can avoid the violence, and you can be true to your friends without letting them dictate what kind of person you will become. You can put your nose to the grindstone and get out the old fashioned way, by earning it. There's a lesson there ...
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby Arlo » Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:15 pm

I finally got to see this one yesterday (now that's a sure sign of working too hard...), and I have to say I really enjoyed it. My main man Slow can rhyme better, though. Yo! :-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slowkidz » Thu Feb 06, 2003 7:39 pm

hehehe...no diggity, no doubt!!!
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Homeless » Thu Feb 06, 2003 9:02 pm

Arlo wrote:I finally got to see this one yesterday (now that's a sure sign of working too hard...), and I have to say I really enjoyed it. My main man Slow can rhyme better, though. Yo! :-D

The amazing thing here is, that YOU Arlo, remembered that there was a thread on this dating back to Nov and came and found it ! haha :-o

:-)
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Return to General Talk