SEC suspends Florida-Arkansas crew - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

SEC suspends Florida-Arkansas crew

Moderator: Football Moderators

SEC suspends Florida-Arkansas crew

Postby Metroid » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:40 pm

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP)—The Southeastern Conference has suspended officials from last weekend’s Arkansas-Florida game after the crew was involved in its second controversial call of the year.

Referee Marc Curles’ crew called a personal foul on Arkansas defensive lineman Malcolm Sheppard in the fourth quarter as the Gators were rallying for a 23-20 victory. The league said there was no video evidence to support the call.

The same group of officials called the LSU-Georgia game earlier this month, which included a late unsportsmanlike conduct penalty the league said shouldn’t have been called.

Linkage

Remember that call Bagel? :-b

Free Bagel wrote:Haha, sheppard just got flagged 15 yards for being too strong.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Re: SEC suspends Florida-Arkansas crew

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:48 am

I agree with the fact that they were suspended, but I don't think that it should have been made public. The refs should be held accountable, but that doesn't mean to call them out in front of the entire sports rooting world.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Metroid » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:54 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:I agree with the fact that they were suspended, but I don't think that it should have been made public. The refs should be held accountable, but that doesn't mean to call them out in front of the entire sports rooting world.

I totally disagree, their job is in the public eye. When they good calls they are hailed, when they make bad calls they are booed. And when they make REALLY bad calls I want to know something is being done about it. Otherwise we would never know, they only way fans know for sure that refs are held accountable is if they are done so publicly. They can take the heat, they're grown men.
Metroid

Postby Free Bagel » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:36 pm

I think this mainly had to do with the LSU/UGA game leaving them on a short leash. It wasn't like the UF/Ark call was on a scoring play or even an automatic first down. It happened on a play where they had just picked up a 1st down anyway, so they had 1st and 10 from the 9 instead of 1st and 10 from the 18.

It wasn't to the magnitude of say, the Baltimore/NE game where the bad calls came on plays where scoring drives (including the game winning drive) would have been over were it not for the call.

But yeesh, as for the actual calls themselves, pretty crazy how bad they were. It's pretty absurd to have, even discounting game situation, 3 of the most inexplicable calls out there.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:03 am

Metroid wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:I agree with the fact that they were suspended, but I don't think that it should have been made public. The refs should be held accountable, but that doesn't mean to call them out in front of the entire sports rooting world.

I totally disagree, their job is in the public eye. When they good calls they are hailed, when they make bad calls they are booed. And when they make REALLY bad calls I want to know something is being done about it. Otherwise we would never know, they only way fans know for sure that refs are held accountable is if they are done so publicly. They can take the heat, they're grown men.

You're right, the job is in the public eye. That being said, people are watching the game and they know the screwed up. The fans don't need to be encouraged by the SEC to berate these refs. The refs know the messed up as well. The party I don't agree with is you're 2nd sentence. When's the last time you saw any official in any sport hailed for making a good call? The only time a ref is EVER talked about is when they make a mistake.

A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Metroid » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:44 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
Metroid wrote:

You're right, the job is in the public eye. That being said, people are watching the game and they know the screwed up. The fans don't need to be encouraged by the SEC to berate these refs. The refs know the messed up as well. The party I don't agree with is you're 2nd sentence. When's the last time you saw any official in any sport hailed for making a good call? The only time a ref is EVER talked about is when they make a mistake.

Well I hear commentators and reporters do it all the time, I guess the everyday fan doesn't.....but how are they supposed to? Run down to the field and give em a pat on the back? Wait till after the game and all 40K+ shake their hand and tell em "good job?" :-?

Obviously they are booed more than they are hailed, that's just the nature of their job. It's like any profession where you are an authority figure, you tend to take heat more than praise. It's not really fair but that's just how it is, I think refs understand that and are comfortable with it. If they weren't they would get out of the business, or wouldn't have gotten into it to begin with. It's not like the suspension of refs is anything new for making bad calls. And it's not like notifying the public is anything new.

Also back to the "When's the last time you saw any official in any sport hailed for making a good call?" question. Refs are hailed for the calls they make by where and when they get to ref games. They have stat sheets just like the players do, and are graded just like the players are. If they do well during the season they are rewarded by where they get ref in the post season.

The risk of public scrutiny is the check that balances the calls they make as much as the suspension is. As fans we deserve to know what the punishment is for the officials that may cost our team a big game or even the season. At the very least we deserve to know that they are being punished. How would Oklahoma fans have felt after the onside kick debacle against my Ducks a few years ago not knowing what happened to the crew that blew that call? At least they could have some comfort in knowing that the men that made that awful error were held accountable and were suspended.

There is also the business side of sports. College football, or any sport really, generates millions for their schools, franchises, and their local communities. Bad or missed calls can cost the school/franchise millions in revenue should the team lose out on a high paying bowl game or playoff game, home field advantage, or whatever. And the local community that supports that school/franchise can lose out on millions as well for the same reason. Again it's all about accountability, refs are paid to make calls and make the right calls, they have to be held responsible when they screw up.
Metroid

Postby Free Bagel » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:11 pm

Metroid wrote:How would Oklahoma fans have felt after the onside kick debacle against my Ducks a few years ago not knowing what happened to the crew that blew that call?

Ahem, calls. Plural :-b
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Metroid » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:19 pm

Free Bagel wrote:
Metroid wrote:How would Oklahoma fans have felt after the onside kick debacle against my Ducks a few years ago not knowing what happened to the crew that blew that call?

Oh totally, being a Ducks fan I was OK with it but that was just bad. :-B
Metroid

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:02 pm

Metroid wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:

Oh totally, being a Ducks fan I was OK with it but that was just bad. :-B

At the end of the day, a loss is a loss. I'm not sure OK fans felt any better after hearing that the crew blew the call. They cared about winning the game, not really much else at that point.

A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Metroid » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:36 pm

If you want refs to have complete anonymity that's fine, I for one am glad they don't.
Metroid

Next

Return to College Football