Transmission Problems: 3 Solutions - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Transmission Problems: 3 Solutions

Moderator: Football Moderators

Transmission Problems: 3 Solutions

Postby sox 06 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:21 am

Has anyone ever had the transmission in their car rebuilt? If so how much did it cost and about how long did it take? I know that those are going to vary depending on the problem and who the car is taken to, but I'm curious to see some ballpark estimates. The transmission in my 1998 Civic has acted up since the day I got it (about 14 months ago) and I've decided to finally get it fixed. Fixing a transmission is every car owners nightmare (especially when the owner is a 19 year old first year college student :-o ) but I think it will be worth it because I'm close to two hours away from my home and I drive an average of 160 miles every weekend. Just looking for any personal experiences ;-D
Last edited by sox 06 on Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Anyone Ever Do the Ultimate Repair?

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:34 am

What's the transmission doing to make you say 'acting up' ? How many miles on the car? Is it automatic or manual?

Make sure to get an idea of what the car is worth before you put a ton of money into it. Also, it's a good idea to have the drive train inspected. Most any place is going to try to sell you a rebuild, but you might get lucky and find an honest mechanic and luck into only needing an adjustment.

Any of these descriptions sound like what it's doing? http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Civic/1998/transmission/index.shtml

$3k sounds like a ballpark figure from comments on that site. Good luck.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby sox 06 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:39 am

scottaa1 wrote:What's the transmission doing to make you say 'acting up' ? How many miles on the car? Is it automatic or manual?

Make sure to get an idea of what the car is worth before you put a ton of money into it. Also, it's a good idea to have the drive train inspected. Most any place is going to try to sell you a rebuild, but you might get lucky and find an honest mechanic and luck into only needing an adjustment.

Any of these descriptions sound like what it's doing? http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Civic/1998/transmission/index.shtml

$3k sounds like a ballpark figure from comments on that site. Good luck.

It slips shifting from 2nd to 3rd (sometimes a jump of about 500RPMs). Once it gets into 3rd, whenever I give it gas I can hear this rather loud crackling/whirring/leaky kind of sound. When it starts making this sound the RPMs drop about 200-300 even though it has already shifted. My dad is real good buddies with his mechanic and he has a transmission guy that he uses. Its an automatic and it has a little over 166,000 miles on it. I could get a new car, but everything else with this one is fine. It gets 40MPG combined city and highway and I've done a bunch to it (got it repainted, installed an AEM intake, Flowmaster exhaust, after market tailights and a custom sound system in the trunk) so I don't really want to get rid of it.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:50 am

Definitely have someone take a look at it, but due to the age and mileage, you'll probably be better off seeing what you can get for trade in value. Take the sound system out and put it in your next car if you can.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Guru13 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:30 pm

Automatic transmission I assume?
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby sox 06 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:57 pm

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:Automatic transmission I assume?

Yes its an automatic.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Guru13 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:13 pm

sox 06 wrote:

Yes its an automatic.

Ah. Bummer, manuals are substantially easier to work on/replace.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby sox 06 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:37 pm

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:
sox 06 wrote:

Yes its an automatic.

Ah. Bummer, manuals are substantially easier to work on/replace.

That's what I've heard. I plan on having my next car be a stick shift. I'm hoping that if I get the transmission fixed now that it won't cost as much than if i wait. Right now, except for slipping between 2nd and 3rd and making a few noises, it runs fine. The 1st-2nd and 3rd-4th shifts are as smooth as can be. There is a TSB for my car that addresses the slipping and it says to simply change the fluid and replace the linear solenoid. I'm not sure how simple/expensive that would be and if there are other possible problems with it.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Guru13 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:12 pm

Well the fluid's pretty simple, or you can just take it up to a local oil change place and they'll change the fluid for like 50 bucks. I've never replaced that particular part, especially on a Honda, but a) it doesn't sound too difficult and b) it's a Honda, it can't be that hard. ;-D
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:13 pm

In my experience, having a new tranny put in your car will run you between $2000 - $2500.
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)

Next

Return to General Talk