Transmission Problems: 3 Solutions - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Transmission Problems: 3 Solutions

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Anyone Ever Do the Ultimate Repair?

Postby Metroid » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:52 am

bigh0rt wrote:In my experience, having a new tranny put in your car will run you between $2000 - $2500.

Yup. What you can do with most automotive work when trying to gauge the cost is find out the price of the part then double that for the labor. That will be your ballpark figure for what you'll pay.

At $2000 to $2500 to replace a tranny on a 98 with close to 200k miles...I'd seriously look into trading it in. You could be on your way to building a money pit, where you keep putting money into it and have to much invested to cut ties. You may be able to take it to a tranny shop and have the tranny "tightened up" so to speak so it runs a little smoother before you trade it in. I just don't know if the car is worth the price tag of replacing the tranny. A 98 Civic in really good condition is only worth $3100 to $4100, Kelly Bluebook says $4200 to $6000 but I'm pretty sure that's for manuals in really good shape. If you have the money to replace the tranny I'd save it, trade your current car in, and use the cash as a down payment. I'm not trying to sound like a jerk just giving my honest opinion. At least something to think about and look into. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:11 am

Metroid wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:In my experience, having a new tranny put in your car will run you between $2000 - $2500.

Yup. What you can do with most automotive work when trying to gauge the cost is find out the price of the part then double that for the labor. That will be your ballpark figure for what you'll pay.

At $2000 to $2500 to replace a tranny on a 98 with close to 200k miles...I'd seriously look into trading it in. You could be on your way to building a money pit, where you keep putting money into it and have to much invested to cut ties. You may be able to take it to a tranny shop and have the tranny "tightened up" so to speak so it runs a little smoother before you trade it in. I just don't know if the car is worth the price tag of replacing the tranny. A 98 Civic in really good condition is only worth $3100 to $4100, Kelly Bluebook says $4200 to $6000 but I'm pretty sure that's for manuals in really good shape. If you have the money to replace the tranny I'd save it, trade your current car in, and use the cash as a down payment. I'm not trying to sound like a jerk just giving my honest opinion. At least something to think about and look into. ;-D

Met is our resident expert on tranny's, so he should know about getting them "tightened up" when needed (although i'm not sure why it would be a problem for him) }:-)
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:15 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Metroid wrote:

Met is our resident expert on tranny's, so he should know about getting them "tightened up" when needed (although i'm not sure why it would be a problem for him) }:-)

well played sir...well played. :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Guru13 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:03 pm

Sell it. Buy a Toyota. :-D
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby sox 06 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:13 pm

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:Sell it. Buy a Toyota. :-D

NEVER :-D

I'm going to take it to a tranny place and see what they say. $4000+ for a new car or $2000 to fix the one I have. Thanks for the advice ;-D
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Guru13 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:22 am

sox 06 wrote:

I'm going to take it to a tranny place and see what they say. $4000+ for a new car or $2000 to fix the one I have. Thanks for the advice ;-D

The problem you run into there is are you paying 4000 for a new one and 2000 to keep yours or are you paying 4000 for a new one and 2000 + other problems certain to arise to keep your current car.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Munboy » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:55 am

I'm pretty sure he doesn't want any trannies in his car.... %-6

Anyways, I've only had to replace one when I was around 20ish. It was an older care...ummm...84 Mustang, and it cost just under $2000. But, they new the car, the more expensive it can get. Upwards to $3500.

At the moment, my truck is not running (Leaks break fluid, and have absolutely no time to tear off the tire and see whats going on). So, we've been running around my wive's SUV, and I'm dead scared the Tran's about to go out. It shifts kind of hard sometimes. A couple months ago, it shifted hard and we lost a couple gears. Took it in, expecting thousands of dollars in work, but it turned out, a computer component broke in the hard shift, so it only cost $700. But that didn't fix this shifting problem. It hasn't done the hard shift since...hopefully it won't. We don't have the money anymore.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby sox 06 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:11 am

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:
sox 06 wrote:

The problem you run into there is are you paying 4000 for a new one and 2000 to keep yours or are you paying 4000 for a new one and 2000 + other problems certain to arise to keep your current car.

Thats true but the way I look at it is theres a good chance that the "new" car I get could have problems too. We had my car looked over by our mechanic before we bought it and he told us it was a good car to buy. He rejected the two previous cars that we brought to him. Buying another car for around $4000 (which is as high as our budget would be) would just be buying someone else's problems. At least we know the problems with this car. We've (my parents and I) already fixed a couple of things in this car ($632 exhaust manifold and $454 rear wheel bushings) so mine as well get the transmission fixed.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Guru13 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:34 am

sox 06 wrote:
sox 06 wrote:NEVER :-D

Thats true but the way I look at it is theres a good chance that the "new" car I get could have problems too. We had my car looked over by our mechanic before we bought it and he told us it was a good car to buy. He rejected the two previous cars that we brought to him. Buying another car for around $4000 (which is as high as our budget would be) would just be buying someone else's problems. At least we know the problems with this car. We've (my parents and I) already fixed a couple of things in this car ($632 exhaust manifold and $454 rear wheel bushings) so mine as well get the transmission fixed.

Ok, just don't come cryin' when you blow a head gasket. :-b I'm just messin' with ya, dude. Sounds like it's probably the right move to fix it.

... I'm just sayin' though. Toyota Tercel, the epitome of not stylish, but I swear that damn car will run forever. And get about 40 mpg to boot. :-B
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby sox 06 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:41 am

sox 06 wrote:
FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:The problem you run into there is are you paying 4000 for a new one and 2000 to keep yours or are you paying 4000 for a new one and 2000 + other problems certain to arise to keep your current car.

Ok, just don't come cryin' when you blow a head gasket. :-b I'm just messin' with ya, dude. Sounds like it's probably the right move to fix it.

... I'm just sayin' though. Toyota Tercel, the epitome of not stylish, but I swear that damn car will run forever. And get about 40 mpg to boot. :-B

Toyota Tercel :-b

My Honda is stylish AND gets 40MPG combined city/highway B-)
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk