Transmission Problems: 3 Solutions - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Transmission Problems: 3 Solutions

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Anyone Ever Do the Ultimate Repair?

Postby Guru13 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:14 am

Metroid wrote:
FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Looks like Lloyd's car from Entourage :-b If Toyota would bring back the Supra or some sort of sporty equivalent, I think they'd be in real good shape to dominate the car market, if they aren't already.

Man. The Supra just eats. I've never been in a car as fast as one of my friends Supras, god it was a monster.

Then you've never been in a real car. :-/

Nah, it was done right, twin turboed and that MFer would almost give you whiplash throwin' you back in the seat. A buddy of mine has this 79 (I think) Malibu that he put a swap in, that's probably faster, not sure how fast he's ran it to, but it'll spin tires at 40 mph, it's a beast.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Anyone Ever Do the Ultimate Repair?

Postby Metroid » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:19 am

Metroid wrote:
FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:Man. The Supra just eats. I've never been in a car as fast as one of my friends Supras, god it was a monster.

Then you've never been in a real car. :-/

Nah, it was done right, twin turboed and that MFer would almost give you whiplash throwin' you back in the seat. A buddy of mine has this 79 (I think) Malibu that he put a swap in, that's probably faster, not sure how fast he's ran it to, but it'll spin tires at 40 mph, it's a beast.

A 79 Malibu would be closer to a real car. I'm sure the Supra was fast, probably faster than a lot of cars on the road, but those aren't real cars. They're like go carts on steroids. :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Re: Anyone Ever Do the Ultimate Repair? UPDATE

Postby sox 06 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:50 pm

I'm dropping it off at a transmission place on Sunday and they're going to drive/test it on Monday. Hopefully I can post a diagnosis on Monday night :-o
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:39 am

sox 06 wrote:I'm dropping it off at a transmission place on Sunday and they're going to drive/test it on Monday. Hopefully I can post a diagnosis on Monday night :-o

Meanwhile, you'll be stumped all weekend long with your Java project. :-B

I'm really late to this thread, but yes, I've done an overhaul on a car. Well, actually, I didn't, but 13 years ago, my father refurbished the '78 Chevy Nova we had. With a bit of help, he put the same big block V-8 powerplant you can find in a 1970 Chevelle SS454. We got a new transmission for the car (it was overdue, really), but to our chagrin, we couldn't swap out the automatic with a manual one. It's possible to do so, but it's mighty expensive to do so and rather tricky. You'll have to change the driveshafts, bell housing, as well as the clutch and the linkages. Not really quite worth it. I still raced it nonetheless anyway. B-)

...and a Supra has nothing on a bonafide Nissan Skyline GT-R. Just a better handling car overall, IMO, and can be modified to ridiculous specs as well.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Guru13 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:10 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
sox 06 wrote:I'm dropping it off at a transmission place on Sunday and they're going to drive/test it on Monday. Hopefully I can post a diagnosis on Monday night :-o

Meanwhile, you'll be stumped all weekend long with your Java project. :-B

I'm really late to this thread, but yes, I've done an overhaul on a car. Well, actually, I didn't, but 13 years ago, my father refurbished the '78 Chevy Nova we had. With a bit of help, he put the same big block V-8 powerplant you can find in a 1970 Chevelle SS454. We got a new transmission for the car (it was overdue, really), but to our chagrin, we couldn't swap out the automatic with a manual one. It's possible to do so, but it's mighty expensive to do so and rather tricky. You'll have to change the driveshafts, bell housing, as well as the clutch and the linkages. Not really quite worth it. I still raced it nonetheless anyway. B-)

...and a Supra has nothing on a bonafide Nissan Skyline GT-R. Just a better handling car overall, IMO, and can be modified to ridiculous specs as well.

Well ya, but tell me the last skyline you've seen roaming the streets in America. :-?
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:31 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:...and a Supra has nothing on a bonafide Nissan Skyline GT-R. Just a better handling car overall, IMO, and can be modified to ridiculous specs as well.

Well ya, but tell me the last skyline you've seen roaming the streets in America. :-?

There's a company called Motorex in my neck of the woods that imports US street legal Skyline GT-Rs. It takes about 10-plus weeks to import one, as it has to go through strict emission tests and a delimiter is needed to keep from modifying the car to crazy specs, as I said. Say if you were buying a GT-R34, it would cost you $25-30k at the least on top of the $85k you fork up for a base model (just a 280hp inline 6). Naturally, expect to pay more for the V-Spec and special models like say, the Nurburgring edition or the Z-Tune.

I've seen exactly two GT-R34's driven on the road and they're bloody sweet. I remember seeing another Skyline with a crazy paintjob on an auto truck, but who knows if that's towed. :-b My ex-girlfriend's brother in France had a Skyline GT-R34 Nur and that was an incredible car I've had the great pleasure to drive. He also had a Dodge Viper GTS, FWIW, and he preferred that as his daily driver. I love both cars, but that Skyline AWD came in handy for the wintry weather. ;-D

Oh, and BTW, you don't have to go through the hassle of importing a previous generation Skyline when you can buy a brand spanking new street-legal GT-R at home. Still mighty pricey, but totally worth it, especially when you're getting superior power performance from a base GT-R35 than you would for a stock R34 or R33.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby sox 06 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:12 pm

Well the tranmission place was too busy to check my car out today. They said they would do it first thing tomorrow morning. Another day of being stressed out :-o X-I
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Re: Anyone Ever Do the Ultimate Repair? UPDATE #2

Postby sox 06 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:25 am

Well, what I feared the most was confirmed this morning. The transmission place said that everything with Honda transmissions is internal so the best thing to do is a full rebuild. The rebuild would come with a 3 year/75,000 mile warranty which is part of why the price (on the "lower end" of $2300-2700) is what it is. I know people have said to get rid of it and buy another car, but here is how I'm looking at it.

-The "fair" KBB value of my car is around $2500, I wouldn't get nearly that much if I sold it as is right now.
-My budget for a new car would be $4000 (which neither my parents or myself could afford right now) and that car is just as likely to have some problems with it
-We know the following are new in my car: exhaust system, snow tires (regular tires are in good shape as well), rear wheel bushings, body is in good shape and the engine is good because its a Honda.
-I'm in college and I work on the weekends (about 160 mile drive each weekend) so I need a car
-If I can squeeze three more years out of this one, then that's all I can ask for

My Dad wants to take it to his mechanic and have him look the whole car over and see if its free of any major problems. If he says it should pass inspection for the next three years, then I might just go ahead and rebuild it.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby sox 06 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:37 pm

Estimate from transmission place #2: $2500 +/- $200 :-o :-/
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:35 pm

sox 06 wrote:Estimate from transmission place #2: $2500 +/- $200 :-o :-/

Psh. I gave you got for free weeks ago. ;-)
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk