Week 9 Games Talk - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Week 9 Games Talk

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Week 9 Games Talk

Postby Metroid » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:59 pm

Free Bagel wrote:Oregon is putting on a clinic now.

I wonder if they could sneak back into the NC picture if Texas and Iowa were to lose. USC definitely could have, and Oregon plays a really similar schedule, but man can you imagine the uproar if Oregon were to go to the NC game with a loss to an undefeated Boise that probably won't even make any BCS bowl?

Bro I've been wondering the exact same thing myself...I was going to ask you. :-B
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:53 pm

Is Oregon for real? O:-)
Metroid

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:49 pm

Not entirely sure where to post this, but out of curiosity, why should Cincinnati's body of work be considered better than Boise St's? Both undefeated, and Cincy's biggest win is against South Florida, while Boise St. beat Oklahoma.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Metroid » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:00 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Not entirely sure where to post this, but out of curiosity, why should Cincinnati's body of work be considered better than Boise St's? Both undefeated, and Cincy's biggest win is against South Florida, while Boise St. beat Oklahoma.

You must be having flashbacks to their bowl win over the Sooners. :-B

Boise St. actually beat my Ducks....I wish I could get a mulligan for that one. :-[

Anyway personally I don't think Cincy's body of work is better than Boise State's.
Metroid

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:10 pm

Metroid wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Not entirely sure where to post this, but out of curiosity, why should Cincinnati's body of work be considered better than Boise St's? Both undefeated, and Cincy's biggest win is against South Florida, while Boise St. beat Oklahoma.

You must be having flashbacks to their bowl win over the Sooners. :-B

Boise St. actually beat my Ducks....I wish I could get a mulligan for that one. :-[

Anyway personally I don't think Cincy's body of work is better than Boise State's.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I think I was remembering Ok losing to a mid major (BYU). Anyway, winning over Oregon is a much better win than most teams have at this point.

A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:19 pm

And what about the other 7 games?

That's my whole point about the Boise's and TCU's of the world. With as much parity as there is among BCS teams nowadays, it's a sham to compare 7 games against BCS games to 7 games against Northern Idaho Community College.

As far as I'm concerned Boise is 1-0, not 8-0.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:22 pm

Free Bagel wrote:And what about the other 7 games?

That's my whole point about the Boise's and TCU's of the world. With as much parity as there is among BCS teams nowadays, it's a sham to compare 7 games against BCS games to 7 games against Northern Idaho Community College.

As far as I'm concerned Boise is 1-0, not 8-0.

I agree with you when comparing an SEC team and Boise St., but not necessarily when comparing Boise St and Cincy. Some of the other games Cincy plays are about as easy as the ones Boise St. plays.

A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:26 am

I knew Oregon would win this game. Had a gut feeling and bet on it in Tahoe. Gimmie me my money ;-D

Ugg...UCLA with another loss. Wish this gave us a better draft pick but unfortunately means that we won't get solid recruits.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:38 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:I agree with you when comparing an SEC team and Boise St., but not necessarily when comparing Boise St and Cincy. Some of the other games Cincy plays are about as easy as the ones Boise St. plays.

Believe me, I have no shortage of disdain for the awfulness of the Big East, but while Rutgers, Oregon State, Louisville, and South Florida aren't exactly notable competition it's still a lot better than UC Davis, San Jose State, Bowling Green, etc. Boise State's 2nd toughest game this year was a nailbiter against a team that lost 45-0 against a 3-loss BCS team.

That said, it doesn't matter all that much now because Cincy finishes up with UConn, WVU, Illinois, and Pitt. Again, not exactly running the gauntlet there but it almost seems like it compared to Louisiana Tech, Idaho, Utah State, Nevada, and New Mexico State. :-P
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:06 am

Free Bagel wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:I agree with you when comparing an SEC team and Boise St., but not necessarily when comparing Boise St and Cincy. Some of the other games Cincy plays are about as easy as the ones Boise St. plays.

Believe me, I have no shortage of disdain for the awfulness of the Big East, but while Rutgers, Oregon State, Louisville, and South Florida aren't exactly notable competition it's still a lot better than UC Davis, San Jose State, Bowling Green, etc. Boise State's 2nd toughest game this year was a nailbiter against a team that lost 45-0 against a 3-loss BCS team.

That said, it doesn't matter all that much now because Cincy finishes up with UConn, WVU, Illinois, and Pitt. Again, not exactly running the gauntlet there but it almost seems like it compared to Louisiana Tech, Idaho, Utah State, Nevada, and New Mexico State. :-P

True, but it doesn't apply as much as I believe you are saying it does. Even if Cincy, playing with a backup QB, doesn't play well, they will still probably win those games. Your argument is that they have to "bring it" each week while Boise St. doesn't, but that's not entirely true. Florida needs to do so to beat SEC teams, but Cincy can play a C- game and still win each week, just like Boise St. can.

A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to College Football