Giants RB outlook: Gartrell Johnson - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Giants RB outlook: Gartrell Johnson

Moderator: Football Moderators

Giants RB outlook: Gartrell Johnson

Postby biju » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:43 pm

This week has had Ahmad Bradshaw getting opinions on the cracked bone in his foot. Combine this with the relatively bad year Brandon Jacobs is having and I'm starting to wonder if the sneaky play for folks with an extra roster spot is to grab Gartrell Johnson. With Andre Brown out on IR the Giants grabbed Johnson off the Chargers via waivers and I'm thinking he might be a good short and long term play here.

So because I'm not as familiar with the situation as I'd like to be, I was hoping to get a couple of thoughts on the issue:

1. Does anyone else think Gartrell Johnson might end up with value, or is this too much of a stretch for 2009?
2. Does he have value beyond this year, or does Andre Brown come back in 2010 and take that 3rd string role?
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Giants RB outlook: Gartrell Johnson

Postby SameSongNDance » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:18 pm

You beat me to this. It's apparently only a matter of time before the bone in Bradshaw's foot fully cracks. It's actually a given. Coupled with the fact that he has yet another foot injury (ankle I believe), and it's only a matter of time before he out of commission for the year. I don't know much about Gartrell Johnson but knowing how the Giants backfield works, I think he will definitely have some value this season. There is absolutely no way Jacobs gets 20+ carries a game once Bradshaw goes down. It's only a question of when. As for his skill set...

He's 5-11, 225 lbs. He's a totally different player than Bradshaw. He's an in between the tackles type runner and is much, much slower (4.7 40-yard dash :-b) and is much less elusive. He has however shown great balance and reminds me of a miniature Sjax (he can catch out of the backfield and has dreads :-b). The fact that he doesn't have much game breaking ability is a huge problem for the type of roll he'd serve in the NYG backfield. Best case scenario for Gartrell is that Bradshaw goes down and he usurps the full chance of pace workload (10-12 carries a game). I'm positive that this rookie cannot do nearly as much with those carries as Bradshaw has/can. Time will tell though. At this time, I'd much rather have Jamaal Charles, Justin Fargas and Darren Mcfadden (popular WW rb's) crowding my roster. I would probably group Gartrell in the same category as Justin Forsett and Jason Snelling (if the opportunity ever arises, these backs could produce).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bJHBLkbfp0 <--- Draftguys video...
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Free Bagel » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:37 pm

Wouldn't Danny Ware be the next to step in if Bradshaw were to go down, not Johnson?
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby biju » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:45 pm

Free Bagel wrote:Wouldn't Danny Ware be the next to step in if Bradshaw were to go down, not Johnson?

I was wondering about this too and just about to post it when I saw your post. I had forgotten about Ware (I think he had elbow problems earlier?) but he might be the guy going forward as well.

I'm thinking it will come down to pass protection. Anyone know who is the better blocker?
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby SameSongNDance » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:54 pm

I totally forgot about Ware. He dislocated his elbow in the season opener but is near 100% now. I'd probably say due to his experience and similar skill set to Bradshaw's gives him better odds at change of pace duty. I don't know about pass blocking though. I think we'll get a hint towards who the Giants expect to pick up Bradshaw's slack against PHI this week.
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby bungle613 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:10 am

I looked it up quickly but could not find why San Diego cut Gartrell in the first place. I liked him alot coming out of college and thought he had a chance to be the next RB in San Diego, then he got cut.

Anyone know the reason?
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby ivesaidway2much » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:38 pm

Johnson is inactive today. He has no fantasy value unless Bradshaw or Jacobs gets hurt, and even then his value may be extremely limited.
ivesaidway2much
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby biju » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:47 pm

bungle613 wrote:I looked it up quickly but could not find why San Diego cut Gartrell in the first place. I liked him alot coming out of college and thought he had a chance to be the next RB in San Diego, then he got cut.

Anyone know the reason?

I'm pretty sure they thought they were going to slide him onto their practice squad and he was claimed on waivers by NYG.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby iamgregg » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:02 pm

biju wrote:
bungle613 wrote:I looked it up quickly but could not find why San Diego cut Gartrell in the first place. I liked him alot coming out of college and thought he had a chance to be the next RB in San Diego, then he got cut.

Anyone know the reason?

I'm pretty sure they thought they were going to slide him onto their practice squad and he was claimed on waivers by NYG.

Inuries on the lines meant San Diego needed depth at those positions and Johnson was a roster casualty.
iamgregg
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Return to Football Talk