Steve Slaton = 1 fumble per week - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Steve Slaton = 1 fumble per week

Moderator: Football Moderators

Steve Slaton = 1 fumble per week

Postby deanpapelbon » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:42 pm

Will this lead to a benching? If so who is the likely beneficiary?
deanpapelbon
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Steve Slaton = 1 fumble per week

Postby BLT4ME » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:07 pm

nice call, moats in now.
BLT4ME
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bazzy_51 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:48 pm

Ryan Moats, and in a big way. 25 total touches thus far for 151 yards and 3 TDs. More importantly with Moats in, Chris Brown is pretty much nothing more then a 2nd thought now. 2 of Moats TDs have been Goal Line touches, 1 plunge from 3 yards and another from the 1 yard line. Moats is a great back IMO, just been stuck behind people. I've added him in all my leagues (all but 1 are 14-18 Teams, but I would take the chance if you have some one you don't use week to week).

A big thanks to deluxe_247 for the sweet sig!
bazzy_51
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby deanpapelbon » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:49 pm

no kidding! pickup of the week so far.
deanpapelbon
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby thejusman1 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:12 pm

Holy Moats. That sound you hear is the collective moaning of Slaton owners everywhere.
thejusman1
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Fade2White12 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:49 pm

With Daniels now out for the year, I think it would be a horrible idea for Slaton's touches to decrease. After watching this game, Moats was not bad, but he has to thank his o-line and the Bills for that production. Every one of his big plays there were huge holes - and most of the time he went untouched. Plus, we can't forget who Moats actually is - a journeyman with 4 career TDs coming into this game. There is a reason why this is his third team.

But we see this all of the time. Player gets injured or benched during a game and his backup - especially one that is as obscure as Moats - produces. This is probably because most defenses don't even watch tape on players like Moats. If Slaton had been hurt to start the week and the Bills had a week to gameplan, I'm sure he wouldn't have done nearly as well.

What I think happens is that Slaton still gets the majority of carries, but this is a RBBC for the short term - maybe 70/30 Slaton.
Fade2White12
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby mattb47 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:13 pm

Moats doesn't fumble...that's a HUGE plus for a team whose defense really isn't good enough to continually shut people down off of turnovers. Those kinds of things stick in a coach's mind a ton even with a weapon as potentially dangerous as Slaton...if Moats can perform solidly without the risk of turning it over, then I don't see them going back to a huge amount of touches for Slaton this year. Moats has already proven in the past that when given the opportunity he can perform...so I think he can do a good enough job to continue to eat into Slaton's touches a decent amount.

Daniels injury doesn't erase the fumbles from Slaton.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Fade2White12 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:27 pm

mattb47 wrote:Daniels injury doesn't erase the fumbles from Slaton.

Of course it doesn't. But it also doesn't change my point. The loss of Daniels as well as a mediocre defense highlights the need for the Texans to have all hands on deck. Fumbling problems are easily corrected, and no one can really argue that Slaton is nothing but Moats' superior in ever facet of their games.

Remember, they're in the playoff picture now. Moats in a lead role in no way makes the Texans a better offense. If anything, it actually makes their only strength weaker, IMO.
Fade2White12
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby mattb47 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:48 pm

You're still ignoring the fact that Slaton has had trouble holding onto the ball and that coaches DO NOT forget that kind of stuff. If they don't feel they can trust someone with the ball they aren't going to give them MORE touches because a guy at another position got hurt...it doesn't change how they feel about Slaton himself.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kareighuis » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:01 pm

Slaton has game-breaking talent, but there is a very strong correlation between turnovers (and winning the turnover battle) and winning the game. Each time you get Slaton the ball, you risk severely reducing your chances of winning that game.

No, the passing game (Johnson, Schaub, and the former Daniels) is the strength of this team.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Next

Return to Football Talk