Steve Slaton = 1 fumble per week - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Steve Slaton = 1 fumble per week

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Steve Slaton = 1 fumble per week

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:52 pm

I wouldn't be surprised to see Slaton lined up as a WR more than a RB this week.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby u_fig_eater » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:44 pm

Kensat30 wrote:I wouldn't be surprised to see Slaton lined up as a WR more than a RB this week.

ESPN is reporting that Kubiak will install a RBBC offense next game. All three of their running backs will share carries.

News: Texans coach Gary Kubiak gave Slaton another vote of confidence Friday.
Spin: "I got a lot of confidence in Steve, you all know that," Kubiak said of Slaton. "I'm trying to work him through this the right way. We're going to need him to win this week." Kubiak continues to insist that all three of his running backs -- Slaton, Ryan Moats and Chris Brown -- will get work this week.

I predict a 3:2:1 split in carries, respectively.
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby u_fig_eater » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:21 pm

News: Slaton's teammate Ryan Moats will get the start against the Colts on Sunday, Adam Schefter of ESPN.com reports.
Spin: Texans' head coach Gary Kubiak told ESPN on Saturday that Moats will start but will share carries with Slaton. Both Slaton and Moats are risky fantasy plays this week as it's not clear how the distribution of carries will work out.
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby tjdoren » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:03 pm

So now that Moats is the starter this week, who will score more fantasy points...Slaton or Moats?
12 Team Re-draft league
Start 1QB, 2 RB, 2 WR 1TE, K, D/ST
1/10 yds Rec/Rush or 20 yds pass; 3/pass TD; 6/rush-rec TD
tjdoren
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Shockers » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:43 pm

tjdoren wrote:So now that Moats is the starter this week, who will score more fantasy points...Slaton or Moats?

Great question. Moats is just the spark Houston needs right now. I have been using Hightower as my #2 rb this season but I am tempted to use Moats this week after hearing this news.
Anyone here collect football cards??? PM me for some great trading sites online.
Shockers
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby biju » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:32 pm

Just read through the thread and to be honest since I don't have Slaton on any of my teams this year (I had him projected to bust this year relative to his ADP) I wasn't aware of his stats. Given the amount of debate back and forth I just assumed that Slaton has been doing well enough to be a starter but had fumbling problems. I'm a little shocked after the "superstar in the making" comments that he's only averaging 3.1 YPC and has only 342 yards on the year.

Now, the stats don't always paint the full picture, or even a picture that resembles reality. Is there something outside of this that I'm not paying attention to? I guess his receiving stats look pretty good, but as a rusher these are pretty pathetic numbers. I mean, to put it in perspective, Julius Jones, Jamal Lewis and Larry Johnson all have more rushing yards than Slaton does, and only LJ has a worse YPC average.

Now he's killing it through his receiving yards, but I doubt Houston wants a RB like that. I've got to think that given Kubiak's pedigree he's going to roll with that is working in the role. Should Moats outperform Slaton this week in their split I think there's not going to be as much controversy regardless of which back "supposedly" has more talent.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby u_fig_eater » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:21 pm

The game just ended. Here's the results:

Moats: 16 carries, 38 yards ; 3 rec, 15 yards, 1 receiving TD
Slaton: 6 carries, 17 yards, 1 rushing TD; 3 rec, 12 yards
Brown: 0 carries

Although the box score does not show it, Yahoo is reporting Moats lost a fumble at the 1-yard line:

[Moats] continued the Texans' proud tradition of fumbling, however, coughing up the football at the 1-yard line at the end of a six-minute drive. The fumble was not called on the field, but the replay team determined that A) Moats lost the ball before he was down, B) the defender who recovered reestablished himself inbounds and C) the play resulted in a touchback.

http://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/blog/ro ... asy,200898
Last edited by u_fig_eater on Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Fade2White12 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:32 pm

What a heartbreaking loss. I'll be the first one to say, neither guy did that much. However, this time Moats is the one that loses the fumble. Instead of being on Indy's goalline, he fumbles into the endzone and Powers jumps backs in bounds and secures the ball for a touchback. If they would have scored there, or even kicked a FG, that was the difference in the game. Moats also had two carries from the 2 and from the 1, and flat out got stood up (although on the next play after the carry from the 2, he did catch his 1 yd TD). Instead, Slaton got the goalline carry and converted. Although I think Moats looked REALLY bad, sadly Slaton didn't get nearly enough touches to make me that confident. But Moats showed exactly what he can do against a better (although still bad) rush defense.

But I tell ya, if Kubiak stays with this arrangement, I'll be very worried about Slaton's value and the statements I've made in this thread - although, I'd think he reevaluates his stance after this game.
Fade2White12
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Football Talk