It's time for Kevin Walter to earn his money... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

It's time for Kevin Walter to earn his money...

Moderator: Football Moderators

It's time for Kevin Walter to earn his money...

Postby SameSongNDance » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:52 pm

I'm one of the many owners who lost Owen Daniels this past weekend :~(. All thought it's a huge loss for fantasy owners and the Texans, how does the cafe think this will effect Kevin Walters value. I have a weird feeling that we're going to be seeing less of the 4 catch for 30 yard Walter that we've been seeing lately and more of the dude who played in week 3, catching 7 balls for 96 yards and a TD coming off his injury. We all know Matt Schaub can sling it, and I think Walter will be next in line to Andre with Daniels out and Slaton relegated to a timeshare with Moats. Glaring WR2? Wucha guys think?
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Re: It's time for Kevin Walter to earn his money...

Postby Fade2White12 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:03 pm

I think he receives a slight boost in value, but I doubt all that much. Looking at last year, they basically had the exact same offensive weapons as they do now, and he was able to produce. Why can't he now? I think he's still affected by that injury. I watched yesterday's game, and he just doesn't get open.

What I think really happens here is that Slaton's value increases. That obviously sounds ludicrous based on yesterdays game, but the Texans cannot afford to bench him for a journeyman RB who had a career game. One game does not a player make. Plus, it's not like Slaton's problem is not one easily corrected - two hands on the ball, and learn when to go down. Instead, Slaton is going to have to be a huge part of the passing game, since they are now in the playoff picture. Two of their next three are against Indy, so they need all the help they can get.
Fade2White12
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SameSongNDance » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:19 pm

I haven't gotten a chance to watch any HOU games closely, I can see Walter not being able to get any seperation due to the injury but I have to think it's got to be getting better. As for Slaton...

Slaton
Texans coach Gary Kubiak was noncommittal when asked if Steve Slaton had lost his starting job to Ryan Moats after Sunday's performance.
"Ryan took advantage of the situation," Kubiak said. "We'll see." Moats averaged 5.5 YPC on 23 carries, though it's worth noting that Buffalo's league-worst run defense is allowing a 5.2 per carry on the season. Still, it was easily the Texans' best ground attack of the season, and Slaton is more suited to a passing-down role. Expect a backfield by committee going forward, with short-yardage back Chris Brown also involved. Nov. 2 - 9:47 am et

I can definitely see a timeshare, regardless if Slaton see's more targets/catches from here on out. His value definitely deflated after that game. Did you notice HOU was finally able to close this time around with a solid ground attack. This is the thing HOU has been missing and I can see Moats being used like Bell in NO. Look what that did to Pierre's value and he is a much better pure runner than Slaton. Just my 2 cents.
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Fade2White12 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:46 pm

SameSongNDance wrote:I can definitely see a timeshare, regardless if Slaton see's more targets/catches from here on out. His value definitely deflated after that game. Did you notice HOU was finally able to close this time around with a solid ground attack. This is the thing HOU has been missing and I can see Moats being used like Bell in NO. Look what that did to Pierre's value and he is a much better pure runner than Slaton. Just my 2 cents.

I think it's definitely possible that Moats gets more work from here on out, but I just don't see him taking away much from Slaton. Your comparison of Bell/Thomas is indeed interesting, but Slaton is not the same type of back Thomas is. Most of Slaton's damage this year has come via the passing game, and that really won't change. Moats has 9 career receptions - Slaton has 79.

But about Walter, I can see him as a speculative add, but he's done very little with the targets he's been given, except for one week. Until he actually shows something, I just wouldn't expect much.
Fade2White12
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Kareighuis » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:05 pm

The offense is different from last year-
1) Daniels was getting flexed out wide, possibly due solely to Walter's injury;
2) Slaton was getting most of his work of the backfield/slot, not running.

Given these facts, looking at last year's numbers isn't necessarily the best judge of how the offense will perform this year from here on out.

I wish I could pick up Walter- He is in a strong position to pick up the slack with Daniels out.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Fade2White12 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:24 pm

Daniels lined up wide plenty last season. When he was a Badger, he did it all the time, and has been used in a variety schemes since he's been drafted. Not sure where you got that from.

Second, Slaton is being used in mostly the same sets as he was last year. He's on pace for roughly the same amount of receptions. The reason why he is on pace for more yards was them utilizing bubble screens this year, which GK hadn't incorporated all that much in previous years. Also, coming into this game, he was on pace for about 250 carries - less than a 1 carry per game difference from last year. So he's running the same amount, catching the same amount, and being used mostly in the same sets as in the past.

Also, I never said to look only at last year, as I also said he's still showing signs of injury. Other than Daniels' injury, I don't really see how he's in a "strong position" at all. Obviously offenses have subtle changes from year to year, but this Texans O definitely isn't much different.
Fade2White12
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby mattb47 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:41 pm

Fewer options = high probability that the established options get more looks = Walter's value can only get better from this injury
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby SameSongNDance » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:59 pm

mattb47 wrote:Fewer options = high probability that the established options get more looks = Walter's value can only get better from this injury

I <3 Logic
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby moochman » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:44 pm

mattb47 wrote:Fewer options = high probability that the established options get more looks = Walter's value can only get better from this injury

Using that logic, wouldn't Walter have gotten more play with the decrease in production from Slaton?

I don't know that I can trust starting Walter until he shows he can be a productive member of the team.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby SameSongNDance » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:05 pm

moochman wrote:

Using that logic, wouldn't Walter have gotten more play with the decrease in production from Slaton?

I don't know that I can trust starting Walter until he shows he can be a productive member of the team.

Well Slaton's increase in screens and check downs would decrease Walter's targets, which was happening. The combination of Andre, Daniels and Slaton left little to no targets for Walter. Now, without Daniels and with Slaton in an imminent timeshare with Moats(Moats obviously doesn't have the same receiving skills as Slaton), I would expect at least a small increase in targets for Walter. Also, I would not advise starting him unless you were desperate for a flex. I'm saying if he's on your WW he is definitely worth a flier. I'm also saying, if you can give up next to nothing, it's worth taking the risk trading for him.
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Next

Return to Football Talk