It's time for Kevin Walter to earn his money... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

It's time for Kevin Walter to earn his money...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: It's time for Kevin Walter to earn his money...

Postby SameSongNDance » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:12 pm

Texans beat writer John McClain expects Kevin Walter to "benefit most" statistically from Owen Daniels' season-ending injury.
Walter has been mostly blocking while taking a backseat to Daniels to this point, but offers similar possession-type, over-the-middle skills, runs well after the catch, and can be effective in the red zone. We agree with McClain and recommend grabbing Walter if he's been dropped in shallow leagues. Nov. 2 - 6:49 pm et

Texans coach Gary Kubiak remained noncommittal about his starting running back on Monday, saying "all three backs will play."
Kubiak figures to ride the hot hand, and Ryan Moats has it now. Steve Slaton should remain involved in some capacity because he's the club's best bet for big plays, but his workload threatens to diminish significantly after losing five fumbles in the first eight games. "I told him to keep his chin up," Kubiak said of Slaton. "We're going to need him." Still, take a wait-and-see approach with this backfield in Week 9 against Indianapolis. Nov. 2 - 4:53 pm et
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mattb47 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:39 pm

moochman wrote:
mattb47 wrote:Fewer options = high probability that the established options get more looks = Walter's value can only get better from this injury

Using that logic, wouldn't Walter have gotten more play with the decrease in production from Slaton?

I don't know that I can trust starting Walter until he shows he can be a productive member of the team.

I don't know that a decrease in production from a player necessarily means more production for another player of another position...but when you remove a guy like Daniels who has been so productive in the SAME part of the offense as Walter, then naturally you'd have to think that Walter would be one of the main beneficiaries.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby ampant » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:29 am

I am taking a flyer on Jacoby Jones, partially because I want to get a handcuff for AJ, and Walter was already owned. But Walters could start running the routes across the middle and Jones could move into the outside WR2 slot.

I honestly have no clue how this is gonna pan out. I don't think whoever the backup TE is becomes Daniels lite.
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby logan » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:49 am

my issue with Walter is the guy is just to inconsistent week to week. Last year he had 9 games with 50 yards or fewer and of those 9 he only added a TD to the total once. Of those 9 7 were under 40 yard performances and they were spaced almost on an every other week basis till the final 3 week of the season. He is potentially worth picking up in a deep league if he is available for some added depth but he isn't a guy I would care to rely on as a week to week starter.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby Kareighuis » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:45 pm

ampant wrote:But Walters could start running the routes across the middle and Jones could move into the outside WR2 slot. I don't think whoever the backup TE is becomes Daniels lite.

I think that's a good set of expectations considering their talents- Walter takes the dump-off, across the middle passes, Jones is the speedy sideline threat, and the backup TE maintains his value.

logan wrote:my issue with Walter is the guy is just to inconsistent week to week. Last year he had 9 games with 50 yards or fewer and of those 9 he only added a TD to the total once. Of those 9 7 were under 40 yard performances and they were spaced almost on an every other week basis till the final 3 week of the season. He is potentially worth picking up in a deep league if he is available for some added depth but he isn't a guy I would care to rely on as a week to week starter.

Good points. Made me want to look at the stats in-depth. His best year's by far were 08 and 07-
08- 899y, 8TDs
07- 800y, 4TDs

Problems- In 08, only one game over 100y, and 4 of 8 TDs in 2 games. In 07, only one game over 100 yards. That every-other-game thing logan pointed out hurts. Another thing- a 146y, TD game in week one of the 08 fantasy playoffs may have encouraged owners to play him the rest of the way. A combined 25 yards receiving week 15 and 16 would have killed teams who did that.

Walter is a WR3 platoon-mate.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Guru13 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Kareighuis wrote:Walter is a WR3 platoon-mate.

What does that make Jacoby Jones?
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby SameSongNDance » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:11 pm

Yeah, he's definitely more inconsistent than I had originally thought. It's interesting that he didn't start until 07. The solid WR3, possibly WR2 hype this year would have to be based on him improving only slightly on his catches/yards and maintaining or improving on his TD total from last year. If it weren't for the injury, it's not too far fetched to think he would've caught 70-75 balls for 1,000 yards and 8 TDs. I think his injury helped the Texans get a real good look at O.Daniels in the first couple weeks. They realized what they saw and rolled with him understandably. Now, ironically, I think O. Daniels injury will do that exact same thing for Walter.
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:05 pm

I think the loss of Owen Daniels hurts the entire offense. That guy is a Jason Witten/Tony Gonzalez esque talent out there. Take that away and drives start to stall, more coverage is rolled to Andre Johnson, and Schaub starts to get frustrated. They are down to their 3rd string RB in Houston right now. That is an offense that to me is trending down or will trend down very soon. Any increase in productivity individually will be outweight by the decrease in overall production. I sell high on all Houston players right now if I can get fair value.

IE Andre Johnson for Randy Moss. Matt Schaub for Carson Palmer. That kinda deal.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby SameSongNDance » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:17 pm

Kensat30 wrote:I think the loss of Owen Daniels hurts the entire offense. That guy is a Jason Witten/Tony Gonzalez esque talent out there. Take that away and drives start to stall, more coverage is rolled to Andre Johnson, and Schaub starts to get frustrated. They are down to their 3rd string RB in Houston right now. That is an offense that to me is trending down or will trend down very soon. Any increase in productivity individually will be outweight by the decrease in overall production. I sell high on all Houston players right now if I can get fair value.

IE Andre Johnson for Randy Moss. Matt Schaub for Carson Palmer. That kinda deal.

Granted he didn't have his bye yet, but you are saying to trade the #1 QB in passes completed, passing yards and passing touchdowns for someone who has and will struggle to reach 300 yards all year due to a balanced offense. He's been somewhat solid, but aside from a 5 TD game, nothing special. Plus, his second half schedule is equally as tough. Although I agree now is the time to trade Schaub, I would advise asking for a little more than Palmer. I would try to trade for Romo, Rivers or Big Ben in a package deal. Make it seem as if you are giving them a slight upgrade at QB and simultaneously upgrade at another position (WR,RB).
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Previous

Return to Football Talk