NFL MVP Mid-Season Discussion/Poll- Rnd 1, Prt 1 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

NFL MVP Mid-Season Discussion/Poll- Rnd 1, Prt 1

Moderator: Football Moderators

Who is your mid-season NFL MVP?

Poll ended at Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:12 pm

Ben Roethlisberger
4%
Cedric Benson
7%
Darren Sharper
No votes
Ray Rice
7%
Brett Favre
15%
Adrian Peterson
7%
Peyton Manning
56%
Write-in (post to say who/why)
4%

Total votes : 27

NFL MVP Mid-Season Discussion/Poll- Rnd 1, Prt 1

Postby Kareighuis » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:12 pm

Who deserves your vote for NFL MVP at the halfway point of the season? Not fantasy MVP, but actual MVP. Feel free to provide the reasoning behind your decision. Most of the players listed here were suggested in a previous Preliminary MVP Discussion.

Don't see the guy you want?- Write-ins are accepted. Just post to say who and why you nominate that person.

The top three vote-getters in this poll will move on to round 2.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: NFL MVP Mid-Season Discussion/Poll- Rnd 1, Prt 1

Postby Dawinner127 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:33 pm

I have to vote for Peyton. IMO, I think he is on a completely different level right now. My runnerup would have to be Darrenn Sharper. 6 interceptions in 6 games with 3 being returned for TDs. There is absolutely no chance that he will in as long as Brees is at the helm.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Postby SameSongNDance » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:50 pm

What about Jairus Byrd. Forget Rookie of the Year, the dude has 7 picks on the year now.
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby mattb47 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:52 pm

And would the Bills be possibly doing any worse without him??
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kareighuis » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:58 pm

Went with Favre- he's taken a borderline playoff team and turned them into a top-3 team.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby SameSongNDance » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:10 pm

mattb47 wrote:And would the Bills be possibly doing any worse without him??

Possibly, yeah, but I see your point. Based on who has helped their team the most, I'd have to say Favre is tops on that list, followed by Ray Rice, Sharper. It's too tough for me to decide atm though.

FYI, this is Roto's midway MVP candidates..

QB: Rodgers, Schaub, Peyton, Big Ben, Brees

RB: MJD, AP, CJ424, Benson, Rice

WR: Wayne, Vjax, Colston, 85, Ward, Andre the Giant

TE: Davis, Daniels, Clark, Miller, Gates
Last edited by SameSongNDance on Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:13 pm

between Manning and Favre for me...i always look at MVP as "how would that team do without that player"...we've pretty much seen what Minnesota is without Favre, but we've never really gotten a good look at how Indy would be without Manning.

i think i'd give the edge to Manning for now
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:26 pm

IMO, it has to be Peyton Manning at this point. Even by his standards, he's playing at an absurd level right now. No one else even comes close at this point. The Colts are 30th in the league in rushing, yet they're still scoring the 6th most points per game. That's absurd, and it's mostly because Manning is playing so efficiently right now.

Adrian Peterson doesn't stand a chance because he's on the same team as Brett Favre. I'm not buying Cedric Benson because while he's the reason their offense is even functional right now, Cincinnati's improved defense is why they have such a good record. Ray Rice is out because Joe Flacco is a much bigger reason for their offense's emergence. In general, running backs aren't going to win unless they put up an absurd number of rushing yards, and none of the running backs in this poll even lead the league in rushing let alone have an absurd number to this point.

Favre and Ben Roethlisberger fall into the unfortunate category of not as good as Peyton Manning despite both playing incredibly so far.

I don't think Sharper will remain a viable candidate for several reasons. For one, there's little to no chance he'll keep up these absurd INT and INT for TD paces. Also, New Orleans' defensive turnaround can be attributed mostly to Gregg Williams. And finally, he's on the same team as Drew Brees. If anyone from the Saints wins it, it'll likely be Brees.

One player that definitely should be in this poll is Aaron Rodgers. He's the league leader in passer rating, 2nd in yards per attempt, 6th in yards, and has a 14-2 TD:INT ratio, all despite being sacked an absurd 31 times already this season. I'd put him second behind Manning right now.

And I'll always favor Manning in anything close because the Colts have gone at least 12-4 for the last 6 years with him at the helm, and Manning often has had to shoulder most of the load.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby jfg » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:09 pm

Toss up between Manning and Favre but I went Favre.
jfg
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mattb47 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:17 pm

You take away Favre and I think the Vikings are doing much better than if you take away Manning from the Colts. Manning, in my eyes, is clearly the Most Valuable Player in the NFL...really on a yearly basis to be honest and especially this year with the huge numbers he's putting up despite not having anything resembling a consistent running game. I mean he just had a "terrible" game for his standards and he still had 347 yards passing without a turnover.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk