NFL MVP Mid-Season Discussion/Poll- Rnd 1, Prt 1 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

NFL MVP Mid-Season Discussion/Poll- Rnd 1, Prt 1

Moderator: Football Moderators

Who is your mid-season NFL MVP?

Poll ended at Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:12 pm

Ben Roethlisberger
4%
Cedric Benson
7%
Darren Sharper
No votes
Ray Rice
7%
Brett Favre
15%
Adrian Peterson
7%
Peyton Manning
56%
Write-in (post to say who/why)
4%

Total votes : 27

Re: NFL MVP Mid-Season Discussion/Poll- Rnd 1, Prt 1

Postby Kareighuis » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:49 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:IMO, it has to be Peyton Manning at this point. Even by his standards, he's playing at an absurd level right now. No one else even comes close at this point. The Colts are 30th in the league in rushing, yet they're still scoring the 6th most points per game. That's absurd, and it's mostly because Manning is playing so efficiently right now.

Adrian Peterson doesn't stand a chance because he's on the same team as Brett Favre. I'm not buying Cedric Benson because while he's the reason their offense is even functional right now, Cincinnati's improved defense is why they have such a good record. Ray Rice is out because Joe Flacco is a much bigger reason for their offense's emergence. In general, running backs aren't going to win unless they put up an absurd number of rushing yards, and none of the running backs in this poll even lead the league in rushing let alone have an absurd number to this point.

Favre and Ben Roethlisberger fall into the unfortunate category of not as good as Peyton Manning despite both playing incredibly so far.

I don't think Sharper will remain a viable candidate for several reasons. For one, there's little to no chance he'll keep up these absurd INT and INT for TD paces. Also, New Orleans' defensive turnaround can be attributed mostly to Gregg Williams. And finally, he's on the same team as Drew Brees. If anyone from the Saints wins it, it'll likely be Brees.

One player that definitely should be in this poll is Aaron Rodgers. He's the league leader in passer rating, 2nd in yards per attempt, 6th in yards, and has a 14-2 TD:INT ratio, all despite being sacked an absurd 31 times already this season. I'd put him second behind Manning right now.

And I'll always favor Manning in anything close because the Colts have gone at least 12-4 for the last 6 years with him at the helm, and Manning often has had to shoulder most of the load. You take away Favre and I think the Vikings are doing much better than if you take away Manning from the Colts. Manning, in my eyes, is clearly the Most Valuable Player in the NFL...really on a yearly basis to be honest and especially this year with the huge numbers he's putting up despite not having anything resembling a consistent running game. I mean he just had a "terrible" game for his standards and he still had 347 yards passing without a turnover.

Excellent post. Disagree with some of it, but only by a razor's edge here and there.

Thought about putting in Jairus Byrd, but his team's performance knocked him from the list.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Montana168 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:04 pm

no real clear-cut winner. i voted for peterson because he is simply the best player in the NFL right now and brett favre wouldn't be having the success he is having with out AD. i can definitely see a case for peyton or big ben as well. both players are putting their teams on their backs and carrying them, but im giving AD my vote.
Montana168
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Frump » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:08 am

BRIAN CUSHING!
Frump
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby WaCougMBS » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:07 am

Voted ;-D
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kareighuis » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:18 am

Cedric Benson and Ray Rice tied for that last spot for next round's voting!
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Previous

Return to Football Talk