My hate of the Gators has deepened 100 fold.... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

My hate of the Gators has deepened 100 fold....

Moderator: Football Moderators

My hate of the Gators has deepened 100 fold....

Postby Munboy » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:29 pm

Bradon Spikes purposely stuck his fingers in Georgia's runningback's face mask in an attempt to gouge his eyes.

The University of Florida gave him a half game suspension...Yes, I said HALF game. 2 quarters against Vandy.

UN-FREAKIN-BELIEVABLE!

And the SEC signed off on it.... I am so unreasonably pissed. I hate the fact that Urban Meyer can get infront of a microphone and, with a straight face, say "We have suspended Brandon Spikes for the first half of the Vanderbilt game" And go on to support the little punk, and say "that's not how he plays the game" Apparently it freakin is! I'd be willing to bet that the SEC signed of on this "punishment" because the Gators are the darling of the conference. #1 team in the country. I hope that the NCAA steps in...If the Oregon duck player gets a year for coldcocking a kid, trying to blind another player should get more than 2 freaking quarters!!

UUUGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

-deep breath-

ridiculous

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKOw2UGs ... re=related
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: My hate of the Gators has deepened 100 fold....

Postby Metroid » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:44 pm

Yeah that was pretty bad, a half a game suspension is laughable.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:17 pm

I agree completely. It's absolutely absurd that he got a freaking half a game and it definitely angers me. I'm interested to see what some of our gator fans around here have to say about this.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:46 pm

Ridiculously stupid and thuggish move by Spikes, though I don't think anyone really doubted that many of the best college football players (especially on defense) are thugs. Meyer said this was way out of character for him, and he's never had any issues before this, and they did do it to him earlier in the game (no idea why that's not getting more pub, especially since there were no suspensions at all on Georgia's side), but good lord man, going after a dude's eye? I mean, I get that some nasty stuff goes on down at the bottom of the pile in football, but going after someone's eye is way out of bounds. That whole "an eye for an eye" saying is a metaphor, dude!

That said, I'm not really surprised at the minor suspension. For starters, he was unsuccessful in getting to the eye, Ealey got up fine and didn't even complain about it or anything, and we've seen a MILLION times before that for this type of thing to draw a real punishment it has to connect. Blount got suspended for what looks like will be half the year for connecting on that punch against Boise, but we've seen about a gajillion players swing and miss and not get a suspension of any kind.

Let's not forget that OSU championship run where they had a LB choking Jim Sorgi to the point where Sorgi actually had to come out of the game, and couldn't talk the next day, and absolutely no punishment came out of that whatsoever. Likewise in this game on UGA's side. They gouged Spikes' eye to the point where he actually had to come out of the game, and no suspensions on their end.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Munboy » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:10 pm

Free Bagel wrote:That said, I'm not really surprised at the minor suspension. For starters, he was unsuccessful in getting to the eye

Seriously? No really....Seriously?

Just because he wasn't successful in blinding a player, then a minor suspension should be expected?
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby urbanbreez » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:20 pm

Munboy wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:That said, I'm not really surprised at the minor suspension. For starters, he was unsuccessful in getting to the eye

Just because he wasn't successful in blinding a player, then a minor suspension should be expected?

You would get less of a jail term for attempted murder than murder murder. Although, I agree, a half game suspension is a joke. Either do nothing or make it a full game.
urbanbreez
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:11 pm

urbanbreez wrote:
Munboy wrote:

You would get less of a jail term for attempted murder than murder murder. Although, I agree, a half game suspension is a joke. Either do nothing or make it a full game.

totally, a half a game suspension is for something like breaking curfew, or missing practice. Intentionally trying to cause harm to another player should earn at least a game suspension.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:11 am

Free Bagel wrote:Let's not forget that OSU championship run where they had a LB choking Jim Sorgi to the point where Sorgi actually had to come out of the game, and couldn't talk the next day, and absolutely no punishment came out of that whatsoever. Likewise in this game on UGA's side. They gouged Spikes' eye to the point where he actually had to come out of the game, and no suspensions on their end.

The fact that OSU doesn't properly discipline their players doesn't mean Florida shouldn't either. It is Urban Meyer's job to prepare the student-athletes for life after they leave school. That is his main priority as a college coach. His 2nd job is to win football games. I haven't heard much about him being big on discipline or lacking in it, so I don't have a ton to go on about Meyer's past, but he needs to show his players that they can't just get away with things. This guy should be out several games, yet he's out a half a game.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Nfl Fan » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:39 am

Let's see... you slug a guy in the jaw when he's talking trash and you get 7 games.
You try to gouge a guys eye, possibly blinding him, and you get two quarters. :-t

Wow. Way to go, Florida. Way to step it up and show us all who you really are.
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:57 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:Let's not forget that OSU championship run where they had a LB choking Jim Sorgi to the point where Sorgi actually had to come out of the game, and couldn't talk the next day, and absolutely no punishment came out of that whatsoever. Likewise in this game on UGA's side. They gouged Spikes' eye to the point where he actually had to come out of the game, and no suspensions on their end.

The fact that OSU doesn't properly discipline their players doesn't mean Florida shouldn't either. It is Urban Meyer's job to prepare the student-athletes for life after they leave school. That is his main priority as a college coach. His 2nd job is to win football games. I haven't heard much about him being big on discipline or lacking in it, so I don't have a ton to go on about Meyer's past, but he needs to show his players that they can't just get away with things. This guy should be out several games, yet he's out a half a game.

do you really believe that? maybe at Podunk University, but cmon...these coaches are paid to win and bring in $$$ to the university...the term "student"-athlete is pretty much a joke...i bet 90% of these schools wouldnt take 90% of these kids if they couldnt play ball
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to College Football