Movin' out? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Movin' out?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Movin' out?

Postby Guru13 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:23 am

How old were you when you left your parents house? And how many of you ended up back there? :-b
I'm in college so moving out would be tough, but good god would it be worth it. Just seems kinda weird thinkin' about moving out now. :-? Anyhow... anybody else done this lately? How much debt did it throw you in? Any advice?
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Movin' out?

Postby Metroid » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:57 am

As soon as I graduated high school I was gone and never looked back. I did move home to care for my dad many years later but that doesn't really count, if I had it my way I would have moved him to Oregon to be with me.

Are you 18? If so get a job and get your arse out of the house. :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Guru13 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:11 am

Metroid wrote:As soon as I graduated high school I was gone and never looked back. I did move home to care for my dad many years later but that doesn't really count, if I had it my way I would have moved him to Oregon to be with me.

I am 18 and I do have a job. I'm also a full-time student which cuts down the opportunities for income, which is where I run into problems. I guess I could see if one of my friends wants to get out as bad as I do.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:15 am

i was 25 before i finally moved out, although my parents got divoreced when i was 14 and mom pretty much moved in with a boyfriend a few months later...so i pretty much had the house to myself until my brother moved back in when i was in my early 20's (cant recall exactly how long i had to share the house with him)

either way it wasnt like i was living under my parents rules/control and wasnt paying any rent (had to pay utilities, cable, etc) so i wasnt exactly in a rush to get a place of my own

P.S. i thought this thread might have been about the Billy Joel inspired musical, which even though i am a huge Billy Joel fan, sucked
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:29 am

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:
Metroid wrote:As soon as I graduated high school I was gone and never looked back. I did move home to care for my dad many years later but that doesn't really count, if I had it my way I would have moved him to Oregon to be with me.

I am 18 and I do have a job. I'm also a full-time student which cuts down the opportunities for income, which is where I run into problems. I guess I could see if one of my friends wants to get out as bad as I do.

full time student + part time job + living on your own = the American way :-)

Of course you'd get a roommate. Sounds like you'll still be living in the same town, that means you'd be doing laundry at home and probably even eating meals at home. Moving "out on your own" is the most liberating thing you will have done at this point in your life....till you finally come out of the closet. If you think you might be ready, you are. And I'd highly recommend it.

Good thing is, your parents won't let you starve or fail. Once they see how awesome it is to have your lazy arse out of the house they'll do everything they can to make sure you make it and don't wind up back at home....at least for the first few years. :-D
Metroid

Postby Guru13 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:41 am

Metroid wrote:
FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:

full time student + part time job + living on your own = the American way :-)

Of course you'd get a roommate. Sounds like you'll still be living in the same town, that means you'd be doing laundry at home and probably even eating meals at home. Moving "out on your own" is the most liberating thing you will have done at this point in your life....till you finally come out of the closet. If you think you might be ready, you are. And I'd highly recommend it.

Good thing is, your parents won't let you starve or fail. Once they see how awesome it is to have your lazy arse out of the house they'll do everything they can to make sure you make it and don't wind up back at home....at least for the first few years. :-D

Well a) ouch and b) I think my parents would rather see me fail. :-b
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Metroid » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:49 am

Well are they pushing you to move out?
Metroid

Postby knapplc » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:01 pm

I moved out on my 18th birthday, and I've never moved back. I live in a state with pretty cheap housing, though. It depends a LOT on which part of the country you live in. Housing costs are so prohibitive in some places that I've heard of people (in San Francisco/San Jose/Silicon Valley) living with their folks into their late 20s. When an apartment rents for upwards of $1,200 per month, and that's a pretty crummy apartment, it's pretty hard to move out when you're young. The apartment we rented when we moved out there was $1,900+ per month, and while it was decent, it wasn't ostentatious.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Guru13 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:11 pm

Metroid wrote:Well are they pushing you to move out?

I'm sure they don't actually despise me but god damn it seems like it. Two quick examples: I was removed from my room and put in the basement, so the grandson could have a room. My new "room" is about 25 square feet smaller than my former one, it's a glorified closet... It's also incredibly cold down there I might add. Second example: yes I know that all situations can't be treated the same way and whatnot but they just throw money at my sister like it's nothing, they forked over a few hundred bucks for new tires on her car the other day, not to mention they cover all of her other expenses, including insurance on her quite new car... which she only paid for about half of, if that. She has a full-time job and lives at home, she could've paid for those. I, on the other hand am a full-time student, that didn't get to work at all for almost an entire month last month because we got an absurd amount of rain, so when I asked for 11 dollars so I could put gas in my car just to get to class, it's held over my head forever. "When are you going to pay me back?" "where's my money" "you owe me 11 dollars", it's non-stop - but does sister get that? no no. Basically they're pissed at me for living here, but if I moved out they'd probably be pissed too. not to mention they'd probably stop paying the 50/mo insurance on my truck. :-°
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:06 pm

I moved away to live in the dorms after I graduated high school, and aside for the summers after my Freshman and Sophomore years, I've never lived back there again. I got an apartment in Albany after I graduated college, and then eventually moved into the condo I live in now. I'm 25. It can be really difficult and stressful, but if you really feel that it's worth it to you, then there's nothing better. Some of my friends still live with their moms, make more money than I do, and I never let them hear the end of it. Man up. Can't be taking women home to your race car bed.
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to General Talk