Movin' out? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Movin' out?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Movin' out?

Postby scottaa1 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:33 pm

The compound I grew up on wouldn't allow males to stay past their 18th birthday unless we chose to undergo castration. Fortunately, on the day I turned 18, I became a guest of the state, and lived that way for 8 to 10 years.

actually, I graduated from high school when I was 17 and lived at home, then it became a situation like someone else mentioned, I was living alone but watching the house for the most part. Was still working on my ex-step dad's boat and going to school at night. Then I went to school full time up north, spent my first couple summers staying at my mom's when I had internships, and then lived with her for about a month after school until I found a job. Moved to Indy, got an little 700 square foot apartment for $600 a month. It was great. I was young, independent, not living under parent's rule or putting up with roommates. Sex all the time all over the place, debauchery, drugs, alcohol, sex. Good times ;-D

It's really nice to be the king of the castle.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:34 pm

scottaa1 wrote:The compound I grew up on wouldn't allow males to stay past their 18th birthday unless we chose to undergo castration. Fortunately, on the day I turned 18, I became a guest of the state, and lived that way for 8 to 10 years.

That would explain... so many things. :-D ;-)
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:16 pm

I moved out of the house a couple of weeks before I turned 19. I commuted to and from school in my Freshman year, but found it inconvenient. I had a couple of friends that were interested in co-renting a nice apartment off campus. My first two years in college were some of the most turbulent I ever had and I felt I needed a change of scenery. So, I wound up studying abroad in France the following year and it helped some when I came back to the States eventually. I think my parents were freaked out that their only child was not only out of the house, but living half a world away. Of course, I was homesick to an extent but I needed something different. In the end, the experience was worth it, although the experience still has me flirting with the idea of living abroad again.

I came back to my parents' home thereafter. I was somewhat of a prodigal son at the time, as I was on the verge of getting into the red and I couldn't stand roommates any longer. After the first couple of years of my working career, I saved a boatload of money, bought my first house, and since then, it has been relatively comfortable sailing. I'm 27, fully independent, living well within my means, and enjoying life for the most part. Sure, it has its stresses, but the last couple of years, I really feel like I'm in my element, which makes me really comfortable. The only thing I need is a gal beside me, but that can wait; I'm enjoying single life to the fullest. ;-D

For the record, my parents were fully supportive of me staying home, especially keeping in mind, as knapp said, renting an apartment (let alone buying a house) is mighty pricey in the Bay Area, L.A., Orange County, et. al. Without their support, I wouldn't have saved up the money to go for the homerun ball, so to speak. ;-D
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:43 pm

I moved out as soon as I graduated high school. I had a blast, but accumulated some debt and got myself into some trouble. If it's bearable, even only slightly so, I would stay home and save your money for when you graduate college. You'll be able to jump out into deeper water that way and not have yourself already in a hole.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:19 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote: but accumulated some debt and got myself into some trouble.

that pretty much defines my life from age 18 to 23. Some of it was 'awww christ, why did I do something that stupid trouble' and some if it was 'came a fraction away from killing myself, my best friend, and another friend' trouble. That was my first month of college, my first taste of truly having no boundaries and no limits other than what I set for myself. Don't go out on your own if you're not ready to be in charge of yourself.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby knapplc » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:09 pm

scottaa1 wrote:Some of it was 'awww christ, why did I do something that stupid trouble'

How well did you know Aww?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:24 pm

I am in college, so I still live there over the summer, but the plan is to move out once I graduate, which is what my sister's going to be doing after this year.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby portisfan24 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:10 am

knapplc wrote:
scottaa1 wrote:Some of it was 'awww christ, why did I do something that stupid trouble'

How well did you know Aww?

Haha I thought that was who wrote the original post before I noticed it was scottaa. Haven't seen that guy in a while.

Anyway, I graduate from college in December and am still living at home. Sure I could have gotten myself some student debt and moved out, but why? My parents don't bother me, and they put a roof over my head. I plan to be out of here within two months of graduating though.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:51 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:I am in college, so I still live there over the summer, but the plan is to move out once I graduate, which is what my sister's going to be doing after this year.

Pay close attention. Figure out what her struggles are, so you can learn from them when it's your time.
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guru13 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:06 pm

I just got offered a full time job. Kinda out of the blue, but it should atleast give me The financial stability I need to rent. Line work, get to work with the lovely underbelly of society but my cousin is the supervisor so it should be alright. I'm stoked. Wage sucks, but whatever the hours make up for it. ;-D I tend to go head first into things too quickly sometimes however so I'm trying to make a good decision on this one.

<<< that dude's pretty freakin excited.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk