Sleeping Dogs- Tennessee Titans - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Sleeping Dogs- Tennessee Titans

Moderator: Football Moderators

Sleeping Dogs- Tennessee Titans

Postby Kareighuis » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:06 am

I know this is a few weeks late, but I gotta say it.

That was one heck of a beat-down on Tennessee that Brady and company uncorked. One of my chief rivals in a particular league got 30 from NE's defense and 56 from Brady- thank God I wasn't playing him that week.

Tennessee isn't StL, TB or Detroit. They're a talented, veteran, professional, prideful team. They went 13-3 last year and were considered contenders last year and this. Defections (Schwartz and Haynesworth, in that order) and injuries to the secondary have hurt this team, but the offense isn't the cause of the 0-6 record and brought back last year's starters. A change in defensive scheme appears to be the root cause.

So NE hosts this veteran, prideful team that went 13-3 last year and is struggling to win a game. And the Patriots whoop them. Tennessee then has a week off with the bye to stew. Now Jacksonville is not a true test of whether they fixed their pass-defense issues, but catch this- they played week 4 and J'ville racked up 323 yards in the air. The Jaguars thought they could beat them again with the pass in week 8 and completely ignored MJD till he got his first touch with 5:50 left in the second quarter. Garrard managed only 139 yards passing.

Now Chris Johnson is talking of running off a 10-game winning streak- "We really believe like we can, like we started off 10-0 last year, before we played Jacksonville, we sat down and was like we really feel like we can go 10-0 in these last ten games". With the offense largely intact (new QB and former Pro Bowler Vince Young) and the pass defense potentially fixed, it wouldn't be a complete surprise.

Which brings me back to that NE game. How bad a decision was that? I think the Patriots should have walked away with a 17-3 win, something unassuming. Now, you've run roughshod over them and woken a sleeping giant. Nevermind this year- if Tenn could pull off a 10-game streak, they'd likely squeak in as a wild card and could theoretically face NE in the playoffs. The Titans would not forget that week 6 shellacking.

But let's pretend they only get 6 wins this year. A 6-4 record after the bye, with Vince Young as starter, could guarantee quite a few things-
1) Jeff Fisher remains as coach, should he choose to do so;
2) Vince Young is retained as the team's 2010 starter.

With a veteran team keeping a top-flight coach like Fisher going into 2010, the Titans could come into the season with a vengeance. This year's struggles could well drive them deep into the playoffs- potentially knocking NE out of Super Bowl contention in the process.

The moral of the story- when a veteran, proven team is struggling as bad as the Titans have been this year, kill them softly.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Sleeping Dogs- Tennessee Titans

Postby Slayer Rules » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:23 am

I'd just say that TEN is violating the adage of "taking one game at a time". I've also heard similar comments by Lendale about running the table.

That's the exact opposite mindset you're supposed to have in this situation - in order to win 3 in a row you need to win two, in order to winn 4 in a row you need to win 3 - etc.

I don't think they're going to get the job done thinking they have to win 10 games - poor mental approach IMO.
Slayer Rules
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DraftDodger » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 am

A. New England is always going to try to rack up points on anyone they face. They're not a team that looks at a 10-point lead and thinks, "This is in the bag."

B. The Titans aren't in the AFC East so no one in the organization is likely to be concerned over what they do next year or the year after. Yes, 20 years from now, Tennessee will rack up points on a Patriots team that has none of the players or coaches with the team now, and they'll celebrate like it's 2009. Good for them. The "revenge" will be in name only.

If the beat-down motivates the Titans to play better, great. Send thank you cards and boxes of (diet) chocolates to Bill Belichick. Go out and buy Kraft cheese for the Sunday games. Just don't think that being a "good" team puts the Titans in the same stratosphere as the Patriots, who are a dynasty team.

I have Britt on my fantasy team; I'd love to see the Titans light things up every week so I could confidently start him ;)
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby Munboy » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:10 pm

Tennessee should do fine from here on out...Because of Young? you might ask. No.... Better O-line play? Nope... Defensive players coming back from injuries? Not at all......No, the reason they won their first game and will do ok the rest of the year is because the curse has been lifted.

What curse? Glad you asked. The curse of disrespecting the terrible towel. That curse. In the past, when players have bad mouthed the TT, their teams hasn't performed well. In recent years, it's escalated to physical disrespect. Remember TJ Whosurmamma? Later that year, the Bungles were bounced out of the playoffs (and Palmer hurt). The Steelers (and pretty much ever other team) have had domination over them up until this year.

Then comes last year and Keith Bullock and Lendale White. What happened? The Titans went on to loss, ending their unbeaten season, and were handlily removed from the playoffs by a team that was later beaten by the Steelers (on their way to the SuperBowl). Then the Titans start their season off 0-7. Realizing their mistake, and wanting to avoid the TT curse for several years (see Bungles above), Bullock and White sign a TT and send it to be auctioned off to charity (ALL proceeds of the every TT go to charity) along with a nice little note.....The TT curse was appeased and the Titans won. Morale? If you somehow manage to beat the Steelers (an unlikely prospect) feel lucky, and don't disrespect the TT.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mattb47 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:56 pm

Munboy wrote:Tennessee should do fine from here on out...Because of Young? you might ask. No.... Better O-line play? Nope... Defensive players coming back from injuries? Not at all......No, the reason they won their first game and will do ok the rest of the year is because the curse has been lifted.

What curse? Glad you asked. The curse of disrespecting the terrible towel. That curse. In the past, when players have bad mouthed the TT, their teams hasn't performed well. In recent years, it's escalated to physical disrespect. Remember TJ Whosurmamma? Later that year, the Bungles were bounced out of the playoffs (and Palmer hurt). The Steelers (and pretty much ever other team) have had domination over them up until this year.

Then comes last year and Keith Bullock and Lendale White. What happened? The Titans went on to loss, ending their unbeaten season, and were handlily removed from the playoffs by a team that was later beaten by the Steelers (on their way to the SuperBowl). Then the Titans start their season off 0-7. Realizing their mistake, and wanting to avoid the TT curse for several years (see Bungles above), Bullock and White sign a TT and send it to be auctioned off to charity (ALL proceeds of the every TT go to charity) along with a nice little note.....The TT curse was appeased and the Titans won. Morale? If you somehow manage to beat the Steelers (an unlikely prospect) feel lucky, and don't disrespect the TT.

Not only that...I was at the Steelers/Lions game in Detroit and while the Lions were on their final drive to try to catch up and they show the mascot ripping apart and stomping on the terrible towel. Next 3 plays? 3 straight sacks...incomplete pass, game over. Too much to be a coincidence...haha
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby SameSongNDance » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:25 pm

Yeah, I've been stepping on the TT every day for the past year and I hit the lottery twice. In all seriousness, I don't believe in superstitious nonsense like that, it's all just a matter of coincidence. Just like the Madden Curse, people get injured in football, it happens. Teams sometimes suck in football, it happens. You think the STL owner had been blowing his nose with the TT ever since they started that losing streak and finally apologized before winning the DET game. You see how silly that sounds. :-b. IMO TEN's success will come because they finally got healthy in the secondary, the gave the starting QB job to a dude who will make more plays with his feet than Collin's could have done throwing the ball this whole season. Seriously, did you see Kerry Collin's face in the last several games? He looked like he was back to hardcore boozing again. Also, with a healthier defense, maybe TEN can finally go back to what they do best. Run the rock. I'm expecting a much bigger, more consistent second half out of CJ424. I predict they finish 7-9, 8-8.
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Return to Football Talk