Start Jamaal Charles - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Start Jamaal Charles

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Start Jamaal Charles

Postby ampant » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:29 pm

moochman wrote:You were right, ampant. Cripes, anyone who works that hard to pat themselves on the back should be told when they're right.
What do you think Charles will do the rest of the way out? Love his Brownie match-up in the first playoff week, but most of his games look to be vs good run Ds, save Oakland.

Meh. I changed out of my grumpy-pants . . . all better now. I was really addressing those comments to the folks who kept saying "Kolby Smith won't take carries" or "what do you mean JAX is a tough matchup" and "I would start Charles over Addai, etc"

My problem has never really been with Jamaal Charles, but rather with the Chiefs. It's like they are committed to failure. The only reason I can guess as to why he doesn't get more touches is somebody on the team doesn't like him, or they are worried about his fumblitis. I snatched him up off waivers, and you have to think that they could do worse than at least giving him a shot at carrying the load, because lord knows what they are doing now isn't working. I don't think Charles is ever going to be a stud, and If I had to guess, I he won't be their feature back next year either. They have every reason to give him a shot, but never seem to trust him. I mean, fumbles aside, they guy IS averaging over 5ypc and is great catching passes out of the backfield. But this could be another case like Jerious Norwood a few years back when they kept starting Dunn instead.

The difference between JAC and OAK is that the Raiders don't have the offensive weapons that JAX does, so the Chiefs will likely keep it competetive and feel less compelled to abandon the run. (They only rushed 12 times last week). Assuming they can get to 20 or so rushes, Charles will likely get 8-12 touches. In my mind he's a much more viable flex start next week vs OAK, but we learned last week that the Chiefs aren't prepared to give anybody the bulk of the carries. Charles won't really be anything other than a desperation RB2 or marginal flex play RB2 at any point going forward until the Chiefs indicate they are going to start giving him more touches. I mean, LJ was barely startable when he was getting 20-25 touches a game.

I own him, and plan to hang on to him just in case the Chiefs wake up and realize they are heading down a dead end path, but I wouldn't have a problem dropping him and I am not counting on him having significant fantasy value this season.
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ampant » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:30 pm

edit* duplicate post
Last edited by ampant on Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby pmstick » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:20 pm

I think Charles is underrated right now in PPR leagues that count kick-return yardage, which mine does.

Once the smoke clears he should be getting the touches in KC. He put up ok numbers last week, his yards-per-carry were worthy of a starting RB. He is a pass threat and returns kicks which only adds to his appeal. Plus he's a great keeper candidate next year for guys like me that drafted him in the 14th round.

The amount of teams that go with a primary back that catches passes is few. Looks like things are leaning now towards RB1/RB1A where the action is split. Now we don't know if Charles'll be the primary back but if he does, and continues to get passing yardage and return yardage, he may be a valuable option by the end of the year and for seasons to come. Kind of reminds me of a Darren Sproles type with no LT in front of him and not much O-Line in front of him either.

I'm really hoping he pans out.
Standard Scoring, 8 Team PPR

QB- BREES, Romo
RB- MARTIN, RICE, Sproles, Murray, A.Morris
WR-D.THOMAS, BRYANT, Maclin, S.Smith
TE- GRAHAM, Hernandez
K- TUCKER
DEF- BENGALS, Giants

Mathews for my Ridley/Redman
Rice for my Mathews/Wallace
pmstick
Special Teams Staff