Alternative format to deal with RBBC headaches??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Alternative format to deal with RBBC headaches???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Alternative format to deal with RBBC headaches???

Postby tjdoren » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:18 pm

I've been thinking alot about the headaches involved with the increasing use of RBBC's (running back by commitee). I think it has taken some of the fun out of fantasy football. More teams are seeing the value of the RBBC, so in a few years, I'm thinking there won't be a single NFL team with one RB taking over 70% of the snaps.

So anyway...I was pondering an alternative format to avoid this problem. What if you drafted a team RB, instead of an individual RB? So I could draft the Panthers RB's as a single unit, rather than choosing between Deangelo or J-Stew. That way, instead of griping about the "other guy" getting too many carries, I could just be happy or sad if the team has success running the ball. As a side benefit, you don't get nailed so hard by injuries.

You could extend this concept to all positions (team WR, team QB, team TE, etc.). We already do this with the team defenses, so it shouldn't be that strange of a concept. In my opinion, this format would result in more success for the knowledgable owners who do their homework. Luck would play less of a factor in determining the winners.

I want your feedback:
What do you think? Are there any leagues out there which already do this? Is this a good idea? Do any websites support this format?
12 Team Re-draft league
Start 1QB, 2 RB, 2 WR 1TE, K, D/ST
1/10 yds Rec/Rush or 20 yds pass; 3/pass TD; 6/rush-rec TD
tjdoren
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Alternative format to deal with RBBC headaches???

Postby u_fig_eater » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:37 pm

It's a novel idea, but I wouldn't like it. I anticipated the RBBC problem and adjusted my draft strategy accordingly...namely, I reached for big-time WRs instead of grabbing mid-tier RBs in committees.

What this trend means is that running backs will have less value...and therefore other positions will be drafted higher.
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dawinner127 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:21 pm

It is not a bad idea, but I would oppose to it. Then people are going to want to come out with drafting a WR corps or something along the lines of that.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Postby SameSongNDance » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:58 pm

Firstly, ESPN does this with the QB position and the QB position only. I agree with this, becuase the position is one dimensional to begin with. Aside from that though, making each position so one dimensional would bore the #@$! out of me. Part of the fun of an RBBC is guessing the correct start. It makes fantasy football more complex and that's just the way I like it. With RBBC's, the person who does the most research comes out on top. I mean, If we were to draft "team WR", "team RB" and etc., on a simplified level we might as well just be drafting "Giants", "Eagles", "Chargers" as a whole, which is obviously boring. I actually want to make the game more complex. Let's take punters for example, how cool would it be if we got points for the punt being downed within the 5, 10 and 20 yards lines ;-D.
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:10 am

In a 12-team league where teams start 2 RBs, there wouldn't be enough Team RBs to go around, so that's one major pitfall.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:19 am

not to be a total buzzkill, but i dont like the idea at all...as some said, for a 12 team league you couldnt even draft viable backups

just to note: MFL offers the following Team Positions

Defense
Offense
Special Teams
Team
DB
DL
LB
Kicker
Punter
QB
TE
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:40 am

Nah, sounds like a bad idea to me.
Maybe try a live draft with a rule that when you draft a RB you have the opportunity to take his back-up within X number of rounds or if someone else wants to draft him. You would have to forfeit that rounds pick, however.
Say you draft DeAngelo Williams in rnd one. Maybe you have 6rnds to select his backup, J Stew. Say that someone else wants to take him in rnd three, you have the option to take him with your third rnd pick and that dude has to make a different selection.
Then you would have to try and think of a way to restructure your scoring system to allow RB or WR teammate tandem to both score. Maybe a power position, your #1 WR or RB who you can designate in that manner. I dunno, that's all I got off the top of my head.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby tjdoren » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:05 am

steelerfan513 wrote:In a 12-team league where teams start 2 RBs, there wouldn't be enough Team RBs to go around, so that's one major pitfall.

I think this would only work with small leagues (6-8 teams). It would be interesting to experiment with, but if none of the websites support the scoring, it would be difficult to trial. You'd almost have to score it by hand...the old school way.

Personally, I still like the concept...but I doubt if I could ever get it off the ground. Too hard to find enough owners willing to try it out. Unless we did it as a side-game for free with our regular format league. Maybe we could all chip in a few bucks extra for a winner-takes-all prize. But again...the problem is finding a website to support the scoring.
12 Team Re-draft league
Start 1QB, 2 RB, 2 WR 1TE, K, D/ST
1/10 yds Rec/Rush or 20 yds pass; 3/pass TD; 6/rush-rec TD
tjdoren
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby spodog » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:18 am

don't like this. Hate the team QB deal, and this is worse.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk