Do NFL players give me permission to use them? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to General Talk

Do NFL players give me permission to use them?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Do NFL players give me permission to use them?

Postby tgfootball » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:49 pm

Someone asked me today if NFL players and other pro athletes and teams actually have deals with Fantasy Football or get paid for their names to be used. Does anyone know how this actually works?

Thanks,
newbie :-?
tgfootball
Monday Morning Quarterback


Posts: 3
Joined: 9 Nov 2009
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Do NFL players give me permission to use them?

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:34 am

tgfootball wrote:Someone asked me today if NFL players and other pro athletes and teams actually have deals with Fantasy Football or get paid for their names to be used. Does anyone know how this actually works?

Thanks,
newbie :-?



Welcome to the Cafe! ;-D

The players & teams do not get paid for their names to be used. This has been battled in court for a while now, but the fantasy sports providers have always won (so far! :-o ). Here are a few links:

http://www.goarticles.com/cgi-bin/showa.cgi?C=1649012

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10256918-93.html

http://www.allbusiness.com/services/leg ... 090-1.html

;-D
Image

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 17169
(Past Year: 80)
Joined: 12 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: New York State Of Mind: 18-1

Re: Do NFL players give me permission to use them?

Postby SniperShot » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:56 pm

I remember 6 or 7 years ago LaVar Arrington having some big deal with the use of his name and I guess he won or something because in my leagues on Sportsline he was listed as "Redskins Linbacker #56" or something.

It was so random but funny.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 7511
(Past Year: 14)
Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Fairfax, VA

Re: Do NFL players give me permission to use them?

Postby Madison » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:29 pm

SniperShot wrote:I remember 6 or 7 years ago LaVar Arrington having some big deal with the use of his name and I guess he won or something because in my leagues on Sportsline he was listed as "Redskins Linbacker #56" or something.

It was so random but funny.


There was something similar in baseball with Barry Bonds because he wasn't part of the player's union. :-b
Image

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

User avatar
ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5979
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Re: Do NFL players give me permission to use them?

Postby joejlitz » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:11 pm

Madison wrote:
SniperShot wrote:I remember 6 or 7 years ago LaVar Arrington having some big deal with the use of his name and I guess he won or something because in my leagues on Sportsline he was listed as "Redskins Linbacker #56" or something.

It was so random but funny.


There was something similar in baseball with Barry Bonds because he wasn't part of the player's union. :-b

Matt Weiters had something similar going on with Yahoo, as well. I never did find him in the free agent pool :-t
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... 979241826e

:-b
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
Image
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 7050
(Past Year: 37)
Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Football
Location: G-14 Classified

Re: Do NFL players give me permission to use them?

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:42 am

joejlitz wrote:Matt Weiters had something similar going on with Yahoo, as well. I never did find him in the free agent pool :-t
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... 979241826e

:-b[/b]

That thread was full of so much win.
Image
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 874
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Jumping The Snap

Re: Do NFL players give me permission to use them?

Postby Madison » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:20 am

bigh0rt wrote:
joejlitz wrote:Matt Weiters had something similar going on with Yahoo, as well. I never did find him in the free agent pool :-t
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... 979241826e

:-b[/b]

That thread was full of so much win.


Who?

Is he any good?






:-b
Image

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

User avatar
ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5979
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...


Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 4:38 hours
(and 42 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact