Have a airport/airline story? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Have a airport/airline story?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Have a airport/airline story?

Postby Munboy » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:33 pm

I have two...

Normally, we don't have any issues flying beyond a few minutes delay. But the last two times I've traveled, we have.

This past august, we traveled back home to visit my dad because he had a terminal illness. We wanted the kids to spend some time with him. We were sitting in the airport and the departure time came and went. So there we sat in the terminal with an 8 yr old and a 2 yr old. Delays happen, right? The bad part was they ("they" being frontier airlines) didn't bother to send anybody to the counter. So it was impossible to get any kind of information at all! I tried checking online, but there was no information on there. And i couldn't find a danged reader board! Anyways, some people finally show up about the time the plane shows up... an hour and half after we were supposed to depart. We barely made our connecting flight.

So, after my dad passed away, I came home to spend some time with my mom, but I'm alone this time....which i am HIGHLY thankful for. Delta people board the flight and once everybody was on, they decided then was the time to tell us they were having a problem with a cooling fan and it would take 30 minutes to get to it to try and reset the fan. So there we sit on a cramped plane (I was sitting beside a large woman...not making fun of size, just that she took up the arm rests with her elbow protruding into my seat space...uncomfortable? yes....also, she started cough heavily...I thought to myself..."Just great...") and some time later, they get on the PA to announce that the crew noticed a dirty filter "Kind of like your furnace filter" on the way back to the fan....And it was highly clogged and the fan probably stopped running because of it working too hard.... Seriously? Is this information we need? Did they seriously just tell us that they don't perform regular maintenance? Anyways, an hour later, they get on and tell us they couldn't get the fan started and a new one has to come in from a flight from atlanta at 3 that afternoon (this is at 10am). So they let everyone off while they try to figure out what to do with us. Luckily, they had a plane coming in that was going to sit overnight at the airport. So, an hour after that (2 hours late), the load us onto the new plane. Problem is, the arrival time is 4:18, my connecting flight is at 3:12...see a problem there? And they can't help me before the take off, they'll be "working on it in the air". So, there I fly to Atlanta, not sure if I'm going to be spending the night there or what. When we get there, I find out that I do have a seat on a flight.... in 4 hours. So, I spent 4 hours at the Atlanta airport waiting for a 45 minute flight to my final destination. So, instead of getting here at 4:19pm, I got in at almost 10pm....6 hours later. So my day that was started at 6am finally ended at 10pm, and the bad part is, I was in the Eastern time zone, with my biological clock on mountain time...so I was up for awhile after getting here anyways.

Anyways, this post turned out longer than usual. But oh well.....The only good that came of it was the plane we got was a large plane, so I ended up with an isle between me and large woman with hacking cough. ;-D
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Have a airport/airline story?

Postby FearandLoathinginATL » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:07 am

Sucks you got delayed but I think there's a lot worse airports you could have been stuck in than Hartsfield-Jackson.

When I was 16, I went to Europe with some of my family. We went to London, then Paris, then some village in Southern France, and then back to Paris. London was cool but we had several events in France that soured the trip, including a 250 euro pick-pocketing of my uncle in a Metro station. Needless to say we were ready to leave the country. We were waiting in DeGaulle for our connecting flight to London, and smoke starts billowing through the lobby. This is summer 2002 so 9/11 was still on our minds, and whether everyone else is thinking about it or not, they start freaking out and the airport is evacuated. But its cool, it was only an electrical fire. So when we get back in the terminal, all of the computer systems have been reset and everyone's got to check back in. Of course our airline is the last counter to get electricity. So we wait for 2 hours to check back in, all the while there are guards with automatic weapons and large German Shepherds patrolling. But since it took so long, our plane is gone and we wait another 3 hours for another one. We finally get out of France and on our next plane in London. We sit in our seats and, as I'm sure everyone does, wait to see if a hot chick is going to sit down next to us. No hot chick this time, just some fat, mid 40s, smelly ass Pakistani dude. So, I have 7-8 hours to go of his foul odor. 1 hour into the flight the movie screen on the seat in front of me goes out, and having planned to just watch a movie or 2 on the way back, have nothing to do for the remaining 6 hours or so of the remaining flight. I can't really sleep on planes either so it was a loooong trip back.

That's really the only bad experience I've had flying. I fly 5 or 6 times a year and the worst part is usually waiting on the tarmac to deplane. I hate how everyone stands up as soon as the no seatbelt light goes on, whether they're in first class or the last row of the plane. Some unfortunate looking woman always ends up with her ass in my face.
FearandLoathinginATL
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:37 am

worst experience i had i was on business in Louisville...mostly i would drive down since it was usually open ended and i didnt know exactly when i could leave so it was easier just to drive rather than be at the mercy of the airlines if i needed to change my ticket

anyway, i could have went home Thursday afternoon if i'd have driven, but no, i had to wait for my Friday AM flight to get back to Detroit for my buddys bachelor party. so i board my 9AM flight or whatever it is, get out on the runway, engines fire up, and then...shut down. they drove over, had it checked, first i was supposed to be a short delay, then they said new plane needed, 6 hours or more delay. no other flights so i ended wasting about an hour in line trying to get a different flight back ASAP (i was only like 4th in line yet it took that long). no luck so finally i applied for a refund and took a rental car one way back to Detroit (6 hours) and made it back just in time
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:39 am

We were in Miami International, had just landed after returning from the Bahamas, heading back home. Had about an hour to kill. It completely escaped us that we were taking a different airline home so we needed to get our bags and transfer them over ourselves. We finally realized this 10 minutes before the plane boarded...and the terminal was on the other side of the airport. I literally sprinted with 2 large suitcases on my shoulders...hoping my wife was keeping up behind me. We made it, just barely.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:39 pm

FearandLoathinginATL wrote:London was cool but we had several events in France that soured the trip, including a 250 euro pick-pocketing of my uncle in a Metro station. Needless to say we were ready to leave the country.

As a rule of thumb, I keep my wallet in a safer place than a trouser pocket, if I'm visiting France/Italy/Portugal/Spain because of a higher count of pickpockets there. Something like a pocket embedded in your jacket or a hidden money belt (but that's so nerdy). Unless you carry yourself like a local, then you're likely a target for a pickpocket or a scammer. Luckily for me, I don't have such problems because said countries are a second home to me. B-) Oh, and France is an awesome country.

For all the times I've traveled, I've had some rather uneventful flights and I haven't had any trouble at the airports. Aside from that one time being scared ****less landing during a severe thunderstorm, I remember this one Virgin Atlantic flight when I was 19 on a red eye heading to London. I had an aisle seat in economy and while Virgin has above-average service, their spacing and legroom at the time was just average (in fact even United at the time was better). I tend to be pretty good about keeping to just my personal space, but every now and then, my left hand would just drift off the armrest and in the airspace of the aisle. It just so happened each time my left hand drifted, it touched the arse of the very same Virgin stewardess that came by (this happened like 5-6 times). She didn't say anything the whole time, but while I got dinner service, I didn't get breakfast. In fact she ignored our row altogether. My father, who was in the next seat, was going to file a complaint with customer service once we hit the ground, but I told him it's probably not a wise idea, for fear of getting a sexual harassment charge. :-b He just laughed and we feasted at one of our favorite Indian restaurants in London for breakfast/lunch (it was afternoon), which was much better than a skimpy breakfast. ;-D
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby portisfan24 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:15 am

Our plane was grounded I think in Denver because of snow, so we had to sit in the Vancouver airport for I think it was 9 or 10 hours. Then our plane lands and starts rolling towards our gate when lo and behold, a bunch of firetrucks start screaming out towards it! They had sucked up some sort of bird on descent, delaying us another hour or so. The plane smelled like cooked poultry and the whole plane got to make the same "I bet they're serving chicken!" joke about 38473 times.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to General Talk