Numbers game - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

Numbers game

Moderator: Football Moderators

Numbers game

Postby dream_017 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:55 pm

I've been thinking how bad the Lions are recently and trying to put it in some perspective. I like looking at numbers and stats(see my post last year about the players still in the NFL that were drafted by Millen). Well, here is some more:

My 1st son was born on 2-2-04.

The Lions have won 21 games in his lifetime.

The NE Patriots have lost 20 games during that same span. The other 3 major Detroit sports franchises have won 19 games.....in their respective leagues championship series 8-o 8-o 8-o (Tigers - 1 in 2006; Red Wings - 11 in 02/08/09; Pistons - 7 in 04/05) during that time(includes 3 Championships ;-D ;-D ).

!+) :*) :-{ :-P
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Numbers game

Postby moochman » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:42 pm

There is no perspective for this Lions team. The only numbers that are important are some current numbers and some old favorites.
Current numbers:
2-30 That would be their record over the last two seasons, with only victories over the Chiefs and the Skins.
31 and 32. That is the power ranking of the Lions and their foe this Sunday, the Browns. A win should be expected.
Old favs:
1, 2, 3, 4 the spot that this sad sack organization will be drafting from.
Season ticket prices. An number that never recedes to reflect the ineptitude, arrogance, and hatred of fan by Lord Ford.
Lucky Number. This represent the date that Lord Ford releases the team from his bumbling hold. As long as that idiot is in control this franchise is doomed to fail.

Geez Dream. I feel so bad for you. Do you still have fun going to the games? I hope so, but it seems so hard to enjoy the garbage they throw out there on gameday. Keep the faith, brother.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby dream_017 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:13 am

moochman wrote:Geez Dream. I feel so bad for you. Do you still have fun going to the games? I hope so, but it seems so hard to enjoy the garbage they throw out there on gameday. Keep the faith, brother.

To tell you the truth, it hasn't been all that bad. The sad thing is, that I think we are getting used to it. It was very hard near the end of the 3-13 season. It seemed like such a chore, the games were boring and I did not have fun at all. Sure the games since haven't been any good, but we have had some fun. They are starting to fall into the not fun category again, a loss on Sunday would really put a damper on the rest of the season and having to go to 3 more games.

Some day it will be worth it, right? :-B RIGHT :-{
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:19 pm

Not to continue to be so dark, but another number to consider is 80. Lord Ford is 80. So eat well, take care of your loved ones, because sooner rather than later he will step down or die. Then just maybe...

See, Dream, my problem is with the hiring of Lewand and Mayhew. Ford went outside the Lions family when he hired Millen. I think he kept Millen around as long as he did to rub it in Jr's face for forcing him to hire Millen. So he reverts to form and hires Lewand, a company man all the way, and some clown that Millen taught in Mayhew. Really, Martin Mayhew is almost as unqualified for his job as Millen was.

Please, Mayhew, prove me wrong.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:31 am

Mayhew is not going to prove you wrong. Although after Millen left things have gotten better. The first major thing was the Roy E trade. That was straight up Godly. That was good and its starting to look like last years draft was good. I mean last week was freaking awesome, and i hope you were there for that one at least. That NFL films thing where they had Stafford with a mic on was awesome to hear. Im thinking we got it right with Stafford, i really really do. I know it was against a garbage team, but he wanted that win. Not a lot of folks that would have went out there and done that.

If they can just turn around the drafts things will get better. Last weeks game proved alot to me. Last year or any other year really, would have been a 42-10 loss. Going down early like they did and coming back, then losing the lead again, then winning??

People here wouldnt know what to do if the Lions turned it around and were a respected NFL team. The Pistons, Tigers and Wings would all take a back seat instantly.
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby moochman » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:28 pm

Understand, Spree, I want nothing more than to be wrong. Was this draft better than Millen's? Sure, but I don't know who was picking the last couple years. It sure looked like a lot of NimRod's type players. Which leads to my next point.
This team isn't losing by the gross scores becuase they have better coaching on both sides of the ball. The D is better coached, mind you I don't even like Gunther but he is a much better DC than NimFraud was. We have a much much better OC. Colleto was a joke as an OC. And we have a better HC. So far no digging holes to nowhere with outstanding will and piss-poor effort. This team still sucks, but they aren't so out of place that they make it too easy. That slows the scoring.
I like that I see rookies making plays, would love it if I saw rookies making more meaningful plays, but just hearing their names called on game day is an improvement over NimFraud's talk of hard practice and great meetings.
Lastly, last week was against a vastly inferior coach. Mangina is an absolute train wreck, and the Brownies a team with little talent and no plan.
Next year's draft and FA signings should help greatly to tell us whether Mayhew is any good or just another inbred Ford slappy. Despite what beat writers say, it doesn't take long to turn a team around in the NFL, especially when you define around as winning as much as you lose. A real good draft and FA period next season and we should expect 6-8 wins. Less than that, barring catastophic injuries, should be looked on as an indictment on Mayhew.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dream_017 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:11 am

I think we are in the right direction and have the right guys in place. It all starts in the draft. As unhappy as I was that we had to take a QB, then took a TE, it has actually worked out fairly well. We were not going to turn the train wreck that Millen left us around in 1 year. It was going to take at least 2 drafts. This first draft we have a number of starters, which I think is more that Millen choose in his 8 years ;-7 Another 4-5 starter draft and we get back to the Fontes era of 8-8. We also have a ice young team that can gel and hopefully take us to the.......playoffs?!?!!?!??!?!!?
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

Postby moochman » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:29 am

dream_017 wrote:I think we are in the right direction and have the right guys in place. It all starts in the draft. As unhappy as I was that we had to take a QB, then took a TE, it has actually worked out fairly well. We were not going to turn the train wreck that Millen left us around in 1 year. It was going to take at least 2 drafts. This first draft we have a number of starters, which I think is more that Millen choose in his 8 years ;-7 Another 4-5 starter draft and we get back to the Fontes era of 8-8. We also have a ice young team that can gel and hopefully take us to the.......playoffs?!?!!?!??!?!!?

After this season is over, I ask that we stop blaming any thing on Millen. In fact, I blame most of last year's sorry draft on NimFraud and Lord Ford. 5-0 and carrying 11 DL, including flop White, I blame solely on the influence of Marinelli. Staton was a Ford pick, methinks. So next season lets stop scapegoating and just focus on the team we have and what we are doing with that team.

I would be a lot happier with the direction this team was heading if we had Oher, Maleuga or Laurenitis on out team instead of Pettigrew and Delmas.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:48 pm

I would be a lot happier with the direction this team was heading if we had Oher, Maleuga or Laurenitis on out team instead of Pettigrew and Delmas.

Yeah having Oher would be better than having Pettigrew probably, especially after the injury. But I think id rather have Delmas over the other two. Assuming he continues to get better and whatnot. But i liked what i saw out of him this year.

One thing i cant stand about him is him jumping around celebrating after he made a hit 30 yards down field, and the team is down 17 points. I mean come on man, the other team just gained 30 yards and you are cheering.....

The Pettigrew pick bothered me cause on a team that needed everything they picked something that you can win without. Is it nice to have? Sure but its an extra, like a sunroof. People picked after Pettigrew in the first round i would rather have on the team right now. Harvin, Oher, Matthews, Nicks, Britt, Wells.

Why cant the Lions hit absolute Gold on someone like J Charles? That would NEVER happen to the Lions lol.
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby moochman » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:10 pm

I view both Pettigrew and Delmas as complimentary players due to their positions. Both TE and S are not areas of acute need for teams as weak as the Lions. Delmas seems like a decent pick, and his making plays down field most of the time may be due to the fact that other players, DLmen or LBers aren't making plays close to the line. So while he is a good player, he wasn't a needed player. Pettigrew's value is much the same. Not a good enough blocker or pass receiver to make the impact that Oher, Harvin, or the afore mentioned LBers could have. In the case of mistake pick Pettigrew one can use the Lions own logic against them. They say they passed on D help because of the depth in this years draft, but there are better TEs in this years draft too. So where does that leave us? Needy as always. In so many positions.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Detroit Lions