A Commissioners Thoughts on Vetoing Trades - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

A Commissioners Thoughts on Vetoing Trades

Moderator: Football Moderators

A Commissioners Thoughts on Vetoing Trades

Postby mayoski » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:54 pm

This trade came across my approval screen yesterday before the Thursday night Miami - Carolina game.
Team #1, record 5 and 5, offered Marion Barber and Robert Meachem to Team #2, record 4 and 6 for Ricky Williams and Greg Jennings.

I knew immediately that it was one-sided but after talking to both owners I determined that they both knew what they were doing (translation - Team #1 always offers one-sided trades and Team #2, the owner with Williams knew that Ronnie Brown was out for the year, has always liked Barber and was fed up with Jennings under performing). These same two owners traded Williams for Barber five weeks ago as part of a six player swap when Barber had his leg injury. As commissioner I have sole trade approval rights. I know both of these guys very well and determined that there was no collusion (not that I could prove it even if I thought there was). Collusion is the only justification for vetoing a trade as far as I am concerned.

Even before Williams' performance last night (30 points in our league), I knew that other league owners, possibly all the other owners, would not be happy with Team #1 getting Williams back especially since he already has MJD and Peyton Manning. But there was no way I could justify vetoing the trade (I am also an owner in the league, record 4 and 6).

Any thoughts?

Team #1 roster[/b]
Hasselbeck, Matt SEA QB
Manning, Peyton IND QB
Jones-Drew, Maurice JAC RB
Maroney, Laurence NEP RB
Scott, Bernard CIN RB (R)
Barber, Marion DAL RB
Meachem, Robert NOS WR
Knox, Johnny CHI WR (R)
Walter, Kevin HOU WR
White, Roddy ATL WR
Havner, Spencer GBP TE
Shiancoe, Visanthe MIN TE
Hauschka, Steven FA PK
Reed, Jeff PIT PK

Team #2 roster[/b]
Favre, Brett MIN QB
Ryan, Matt ATL QB
Williams, Ricky MIA RB
McCoy, LeSean PHI RB (R)
Peterson, Adrian MIN RB
Sproles, Darren SDC RB
Harvin, Percy MIN WR (R)
Henderson, Devery NOS WR
Manningham, Mario NYG WR
Jennings, Greg GB WR
Daniels, Owen HOU TE
Miller, Heath PIT TE
Brown, Kris HOU PK
Scobee, Josh JAC PK
mayoski
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: A Commissioners Thoughts on Vetoing Trades

Postby Indibuck » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:12 pm

Collusion is the only justification for vetoing a trade as far as I am concerned.

I agree with this for the most part. If one team ends up significantly weaker because of a trade, I would maybe put the kibosh on it. But I would also speak to both parties, like you did, to see what justification each party gives before arriving at a decision.

If an owner continually makes stupid trades, don't invite him or her back the following year.

FWIW I think you have handled it the right way. It's tough to be "commissioner" and "popular" at the same time.

Also, I think one party got the better end of the deal, but I don't think it was that uneven of a trade either.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 157)

Postby TheWarlock187 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:00 pm

Might I suggest adding a rule to your league...The league I am in has a rule where if a team trades away a player he can not be traded back to his original owner unless a third team has had said player. This rule eliminates the possibility of someone stashing a player temporarily then reacquiring him at a later time.
Dynasty Team- QB,2RB,2WR,TE,K,Def
QB - P Rivers J Cuter M Cassel
RB - D McFadden J Best S Green D Thomas D Murray J Ringer
WR - C Johnson L Fitzgerald S Holmes E Sanders D Thomas
TE - F Davis O Daniels
K - M Bryant R Lindell
D - Chargers 49ers
TheWarlock187
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby mayoski » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:13 pm

TheWarlock187 wrote:Might I suggest adding a rule to your league...The league I am in has a rule where if a team trades away a player he can not be traded back to his original owner unless a third team has had said player. This rule eliminates the possibility of someone stashing a player temporarily then reacquiring him at a later time.

Good idea.

Thanks to all who have replied.
mayoski
Monday Morning Quarterback

Return to Commissioner's Corner