I finally figured it out . . . - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

I finally figured it out . . .

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: I finally figured it out . . .

Postby knapplc » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:24 am

Agreed. Rome is horrendous. From way back in 2007:

knapplc wrote:I don't watch sports shows on TV. They're all boring to me, with the possible exception of PTI, but that's only rarely.

On the radio Mike & Mike are the best, Rome is the worst. Rome's schtick wears thin really quickly, and he hasn't improved in the decade or so since I first heard him.

Here's my impression of a Rome show:

"OK, clones, clones, clones, don't suck clones, clones. Jim in Philly, go. Clones. Clones, clones clones. OK. Clones. What's you're take? Clones. OK, big smack there clones. Clones."

That's pretty much his whole show, with a heaping helping of melodrama on top. It's boring.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:06 pm

I would really like to listen to the Dan LeBetard show.

I started off hating him for his comments that Steve Nash didn't deserve the MVP and that racism was to blame for him getting it over Shaq but I have come around to become a LeBetard fan. I loved his reaction to Tim Hardaway announcing that he hates gay people, Dan went after him and didn't let it slide.

Dan concentrates on racism a little too much for my liking but he asks the uncomfortable questions and isn't a patsy. I like him now and wish that I could get his show in Toronto.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:35 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I would really like to listen to the Dan LeBetard show.

I started off hating him for his comments that Steve Nash didn't deserve the MVP and that racism was to blame for him getting it over Shaq but I have come around to become a LeBetard fan. I loved his reaction to Tim Hardaway announcing that he hates gay people, Dan went after him and didn't let it slide.

Dan concentrates on racism a little too much for my liking but he asks the uncomfortable questions and isn't a patsy. I like him now and wish that I could get his show in Toronto.

isnt he the guy that makes the same tired Detroit jokes every year
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby portisfan24 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:27 pm

I can't get around the long, dramatic pauses by Rome. I don't know why he thinks every second sentence of a sports radio show needs to have as much suspense as a dramatic movie, but it's infuriating.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby steelerfan513 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:01 pm

Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby houstonherdfan » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:44 pm

Rome is worse than Rush. I am a conservative but those 2 were made from the same mold. Love to hear themselves talk.
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby ampant » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:19 am

Word to the Caliendo clip. Nailed it.
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:13 pm

portisfan24 wrote:I can't get around the long, dramatic pauses by Rome. I don't know why he thinks every second sentence of a sports radio show needs to have as much suspense as a dramatic movie, but it's infuriating.

Those long, dramatic pauses are often him not talking as he listens to his producer tell him what to say next. He is one of the only talk show hosts I know of that actually has a team of writers, not just producers, who come up with much of his material. The pauses could be taken care of if he could talk and listen at the same time, which is a learnable skill, it just takes some work. He is probably the most successful talk show host (or person?) for his talent level in the country. Also, I hear from folks in the industry who know him and have worked with/for him that he is a colassal jerk.
Art Vandelay
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:59 pm

is it just me or are Rome and Food Networks Guy Fieri cut from the same cloth...presumably one that used to be a douchebag
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby urbanbreez » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:48 pm

houstonherdfan wrote:Rome is worse than Rush. I am a conservative but those 2 were made from the same mold. Love to hear themselves talk.

It would be odd to have a TALK show host that didn't love to hear him/herself talk. It kinda goes with the territory, as like a prerequisite skill/personality trait. What could be worse than a non-talkative talk show host?

Dan, DB "cloth" is actually some sort of plastic. I know this only because I Googled it. :-b
urbanbreez
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Eagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk