Problem: Clean Install of Windows - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Problem: Clean Install of Windows

Moderator: Football Moderators

Problem: Clean Install of Windows

Postby sox 06 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:18 pm

My sister's laptop was running like junk (taking a really long time to startup/shut down, freezing, programs not running correctly, etc) so I did a clean install of Windows XP. After I did the initial install the computer restarted itself. I still had the Windows disc in the drive and when the computer rebooted, it read the disc first (I changed the Bios to do this). I realized that I should have ejected it so I exited from the second/accidental install and rebooted the computer without the disc. The computer runs great now and everything installed like it should have except for one minor thing. When the computer boots, before the Windows screen, it says choose which operating system to run. The options are both Windows XP and I press enter and all is good. Why does it ask me which OS to run after I wiped out the first XP and did a clean install of the second?
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Problem: Clean Install of Windows

Postby Dolfin99 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:41 am

1. Is your drive partitioned? If so, follow these procedures to remove one of the partitions.

*Start > Run > type "compmgmt.msc" then click ok
*Click on "Disk Management" and wait for your computer to scan your disks
*In the right hand pane you will see each physical disk within your computer on a separate row, and each disk is displayed with it broken up into its partitions.
*After confirming which partition you wish to remove, right click on it, and select "Delete Partition" and click yes when prompted.

Please note the following:

When you delete a partition, all the data within that partition will be lost.
The partition containing Windows XP cannot be deleted from within Windows.
Extended partitions cannot be deleted unless the partition is empty – you must delete all the logical drives within it first.

2. If there is only a single partition, then try this step and see if it works:

*Start > run > type "msconfig" and go to the boot.ini tab and click "Check all boot paths" and it should detect that only one version of XP exists and delete the other one for you.
Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig.
Dolfin99

EditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby sox 06 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:06 pm

Dolfin99 wrote:1. Is your drive partitioned? If so, follow these procedures to remove one of the partitions.

*Start > Run > type "compmgmt.msc" then click ok
*Click on "Disk Management" and wait for your computer to scan your disks
*In the right hand pane you will see each physical disk within your computer on a separate row, and each disk is displayed with it broken up into its partitions.
*After confirming which partition you wish to remove, right click on it, and select "Delete Partition" and click yes when prompted.

Please note the following:

When you delete a partition, all the data within that partition will be lost.
The partition containing Windows XP cannot be deleted from within Windows.
Extended partitions cannot be deleted unless the partition is empty – you must delete all the logical drives within it first.

2. If there is only a single partition, then try this step and see if it works:

*Start > run > type "msconfig" and go to the boot.ini tab and click "Check all boot paths" and it should detect that only one version of XP exists and delete the other one for you.

Thanks the second step worked ;-D
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby sox 06 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:16 pm

One more question. After the install it seems as though one of the fans is not running like it should. It keeps on coming on for about 30 seconds, then shutting off, then coming back on. I've never used this computer so I'm not sure if this is normal or not. There is a new Bios available on the driver website, might that fix this issue?
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby glackk » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:56 pm

sox 06 wrote:One more question. After the install it seems as though one of the fans is not running like it should. It keeps on coming on for about 30 seconds, then shutting off, then coming back on. I've never used this computer so I'm not sure if this is normal or not. There is a new Bios available on the driver website, might that fix this issue?

are you talking about the case fan or the cpu fan?
glackk
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Return to General Talk