Windows: 7 vs. Vista vs. XP - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Windows: 7 vs. Vista vs. XP

Moderator: Football Moderators

Windows: 7 vs. Vista vs. XP

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:03 pm

Currently, I have Windows XP installed on my laptop. Due to what I heard about Vista, I never bothered to "upgrade" to it. Now, Windows 7 has come out; however, a buddy of mine told me that it's not worth getting. What do you guys think? Are there advantages to getting 7 or should I just stick with XP?

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Windows: 7 vs. Vista vs. XP

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:59 am

I have Vista Ultimate with the new laptop I bought last Christmas and probably don't plan on upgrading to Windows 7. I've tried it on a friend's computer and more or less, it's faster than Vista and you don't see much lag in responsiveness. It's still relatively slow if you're doing CPU-intensive things like running a few intensive apps, like say Windows Media Center and Photoshop together. The UI is more intuitive compared to Vista and in some respect, it's more Mac OS X-like, but there are still a few design flaws.

If you're a gamer, you should really look into upgrading to 7 because of the better graphics support compared to Vista and the new DirectX technology. Otherwise, 7 is less bloated from Vista and is worth an upgrade just for better usability and the step up in security alone.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby logan » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:49 pm

It all depends on what you would be upgrading for. I recently upgraded from xp to 7 and couldn't be happier but then I am an high end pc gamer so i had every reason to see the benefits In an upgrade. Plus I went in on the preoder which ran me $99 dollars so the option was well worth it from a monetary stand point. 7 is basically all the good things that were in xp and vista and it tossed out everything that sucked about vista.

Far as I know i believe that XP will still get updates and support for about another year or so,so for the time being unless you do highly intensive processor stuff or are a gamer then it may not be all that imperative to upgrade at this point unless you really want to.

This should also really only come down to 7vs XP as I really see no reason to even consider a move to Vista at this point.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby treat24 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:43 pm

I wasn't a fan of Vista at all... I stayed with XP Pro SP2 for a long time. When 7 came out I bought my new laptop on the first day. It's easily the best OS I've used at this point. It's been a month and a week (give or take) and I've had zero issues and couldn't be happier. Way better (faster, sleeker, new stuff, simpler, responsive, etc) than my XP Pro SP2 (which I loved). Once again, didn't really like Vista, but 7 is just great.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby Munboy » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:25 pm

Honestly, stick with XP. You're not missing much, and it took Windows YEARS to get XP stable and secure. Now it's one of the best OS's out there. Hold onto XP until 7 goes through at least one service pack and then think about upgrading. Stay away from Vista, especially on a laptop.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Madison » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:27 am

From what I hear:

The move from XP to Windows 7 is worth it.

Moving from XP to Vista doesn't really make much sense, too many possible problems (if it's not Vista Ultimate or if the machine is underpowered).

If someone's on Vista and has no problems or issues, the move to Windows 7 isn't really worth it (I fall into this category and I'll upgrade at some point, but there's no rush).

So in your case, I'd make the move to Windows 7.

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby treat24 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:53 am

Madison wrote:From what I hear:

The move from XP to Windows 7 is worth it.

Moving from XP to Vista doesn't really make much sense, too many possible problems (if it's not Vista Ultimate or if the machine is underpowered).

If someone's on Vista and has no problems or issues, the move to Windows 7 isn't really worth it (I fall into this category and I'll upgrade at some point, but there's no rush).

So in your case, I'd make the move to Windows 7.

This is dead on. My buddies have said the same. Waiting for a service pack for 7 really isn't needed because 7 is just Vista only simplified, debugged, and a some upgrades. If you have Vista with no problems and like it, 7 isn't really worth it right now. I went from XP Pro SP2 with no issues and loved it and the upgrade is substantial.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:38 am

Windows 7 was my idea. ;-7 :-b ;-)

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby WaCougMBS » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:32 am

flotsamnjetsam wrote:Windows 7 was my idea. ;-7 :-b ;-)

But, but, but...they told me it was MY idea?! !+) ;-) :-b
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to General Talk