Next year's draft (TD only league) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Next year's draft (TD only league)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Next year's draft (TD only league)

Postby stormriders » Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:20 pm

I know its early, but just wanted a little input. What would your top 10 look like if you had to draft for next year right now in a basic scoring league.
stormriders
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby dgroundhog_ffc » Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:22 am

Still early, but I'll take a shot. My money league gives minor yardage points (QB 4 pt/TD pass 1 pt @ 150 yards pass, 1 pt per 50 yds after, WR/TE/RB 6 pts/TD 1 pt @ 50 yds, 1 pt at 100 yds, 2 pts per 50 after) I tend to use that format to rank. I'm also a 'tier' guy - spaces at tier breaks.

Priest

Ahman

LT
Ricky
Portis
Alexander
Duece
Lewis
S Davis

Moss
Holt
Harrison
Owens

After these players, I think it gets a little vague. Former stars like Faulk, Edge are options, gamble on Freddy, go with new guy like D Davis, grab a top QB like Manning, C-Pepp, McNair, Bulger (normally I'd avoid QB's early...next year I'm not so sure - looks like they might be the safest pick in the 2nd or 3rd round) S Moss and Ward might not last too long either.

I've played for many years, maybe I'm getting old, but it seems like the change-over in player rankings the last few years has really increased. Better info, more web sites, increased popularity, young players contributing earlier, etc. have wreaked havoc on year to year player rankings. Next year again I'd prefer to draft in the middle to end of the round to grab 2 of what I think is about 12 safe, solid top picks. 2 of my top 9 RB's or 1 RB and a top 4 WR would be a nice start.

Poring over many ranking sheets and draft strategy articles, participating in some 'mock drafts', drafting my cheesy internet leagues before my money league was a huge help to me this year. If you are better prepared than your opponents, you can use that to gain an early advantage during the draft. I'll do at least 4 internet drafts before my money league draft next year(did 3 this year).
The meek ain't gonna inherit $#!%....'cuz I'll TAKE IT!
dgroundhog_ffc
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby stormriders » Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:28 pm

Thanks for some great insight. Anybody else?
stormriders
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby TTTBone » Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:56 pm

Pretty good analysis by the ground hog. I agree, Priest and Ahman at #1 and #2.
Some thoughts at QB: I think Pennington will continue to be a stud and a top fantasy QB. However QBs early are always a weak draft. Who did you want this year, Vick, Warner, McNabb, Garcia? I used a third round on McNabb and later traded him for Toomer.You can always find a QB on waivers or through a trade. Runningbacks almost always win the championships. That being said, my top five QBs next year: Pennington
Manning
Vick
McNair
Favre
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby stormriders » Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:04 am

Where's Culpepper?
stormriders
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby dgroundhog_ffc » Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:17 am

I think C-Pepp or any other top QB like Manning (Bulger McNair Pennington McNabb would be riskier QB options) is a safe option. Like I said, I don't generally like taking a QB that early, but it could be a good option next year. In the one 'mock draft' I did take a QB in the 2nd round I took McNabb, and needless to say the team sucks.

I've lived in Minnesota all but 5 of my 38 years, and my money league is all Minnesota fans. Culpepper won't last long in my draft, I'll consider him for rooting purposes after my top 12-13 are gone, but I'm not sure that is the wisest move. If you get penalized more than a couple points for a TO, Culpepper gets worse.

He will be gone after 2 rounds, but waiting on a QB is usually a better option. The thing that scares me most is the risk of taking unproven or questionable guys over a Manning who generally is money. Culpepper is worth the risk since he generally produces. My league also doesn't penalize for TO's, so Culpepper is a bit safer than most leagues.
The meek ain't gonna inherit $#!%....'cuz I'll TAKE IT!
dgroundhog_ffc
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby latraffic » Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:40 am

Slight Sidebar - It's interesting the evolution FF has taken over the last few years. I remember it wasn't that long ago (okay, maybe like about 5 years, I'm getting old) that reliable QBs were hard to find and got drafted in the 1st round and backs were picked up later (like the 3rd round). There were big name QBs and then the rest and you rarely had RBBC. You saw more run & gun and classic West Coast O though, so that might be part of the reason too.

Anyway, back on the topic - the trend of drafting RBs high will continue and I agree with the thread that Holmes and Green (assuming Favre continues to play/not retire) are good options. I'd move Portis up into the 1st pick category too though. He's still on the learning curve but next year, with Jake under center with a year's Bronco offense experience, that Offense should be absolutely explosive.

The only WRs I would consider in the 2nd round next year would be Holt & Harrison (I'm about to be booed by the Randy Moss fans - sorry, but Culpepper does not impress and without a solid QB the WR position is not worth a dime). Possibly TO but it will depend on where he goes. Say he ends up with the Jets w/Penny and I'd be all over that action.

QBs in the early rounds next year? Right now I'm only seeing one guy I'd burn an early 2nd round pick on - Chad Pennington.
Thank God for Football Season.
latraffic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecasterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Go Vikes » Sat Nov 22, 2003 12:13 am

Edge is still a star to me. If he stays healthy he can be great.
Go Vikes
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Buckychudd » Sat Nov 22, 2003 12:29 am

Go Vikes wrote:Edge is still a star to me. If he stays healthy he can be great.

Flashes of brilliance, but he'll never get back to 2000 form....
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Navyseal » Sat Nov 22, 2003 3:47 am

Deuce McCallister had like 16 TDs last year, some LONG ones too. He's turning into a really good receiver out of the backfield too. Seeing how he is the only constant on a talented offense that runs primarily through him, evidenced by his # of touches, I think he's possibly the most solid second tier guy. His touchdown production this year has been somewhat dissappointing, but then again, so have the Saints. But even when the Saints are behind, they NEVER abandon the run... they can't afford to.
I expect Deuce to finish strong again this year w/ 13-16 Tds.
Priest is everyone's #1, but considering how Ahman Green seems to miss time and touches every year, I think by year's end, people will be forced to take a look at Deuce during the first three picks of most drafts. In 50-50 leagues, he is definitely a top 5 pick. Mark my word: fantasy owners WILL tire of Tomlinson's and Portis' inconsistency. Deuce? He's got seven 100 yard performances in a row and counting...
If you are looking for a game-tested, tough, hard-running back with homerun capability and guaranteed touches every game, Deuce is your man, in my mildly biased opinion.

12 team, H2H, hyper-performance, keeper

Start 9: QB, 1/2RB, 2/3/4WR, 1/2TE, K, D/ST

Pennington, Hasselbeck
Deuce, SDavis, Rudi J, JJackson, Foster, L.J.
CJohnson, McCardell, Wayne, Branch, Calico
Kleinsasser, Shockey(I)
Grammatica
INDY
Navyseal
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk