Week 14 GC: Pittsburgh @ Cleveland - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Week 14 GC: Pittsburgh @ Cleveland

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Week 14 GC: Pittsburgh @ Cleveland

Postby Kareighuis » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:37 am

Leaving aside playcalling/coaching questions, I'm inclined to say the oline is the main culprit for this loss. They didn't pass block well enough- 8 sacks by the Browns!?

However, they let the Browns rack up 171 yards rushing against one of the best run-defenses in the league. 87 of those yards by Josh Cribbs from the wildcat.

Something else that surprised me- Mendenhall had 16 for 53 yards (along with 17 yards receiving). Rotowire says, "Mendenhall just could not get in gear against one of the worst rush defenses in the league. You can say the cold weather was a factor, but that did not prevent the Browns from gaining 171 yards on the ground on the best rush defense in the league."

Was the poor rushing performance on the offensive linemen or was it on Mendy?
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Go Skins! » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:59 am

FFslacker wrote:200 points?

Sounds like a return yardage league. I ran a couple of those myself last year. I stopped doing it this year however. It wasn't too popular with my fellow owners. I think Ret Yd Leagues are pretty fun though!
Go Skins!
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby portisfan24 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:42 am

I think Ben has to take some blame for a couple of the sacks tonight. He was holding onto the ball a bit and stepping up at the wrong spots. I'd say the Steelers are officially eliminated from the post-season.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Munboy » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:15 am

Kareighuis wrote:Leaving aside playcalling/coaching questions, I'm inclined to say the oline is the main culprit for this loss. They didn't pass block well enough- 8 sacks by the Browns!?

However, they let the Browns rack up 171 yards rushing against one of the best run-defenses in the league. 87 of those yards by Josh Cribbs from the wildcat.

Something else that surprised me- Mendenhall had 16 for 53 yards (along with 17 yards receiving). Rotowire says, "Mendenhall just could not get in gear against one of the worst rush defenses in the league. You can say the cold weather was a factor, but that did not prevent the Browns from gaining 171 yards on the ground on the best rush defense in the league."

Was the poor rushing performance on the offensive linemen or was it on Mendy?

Don't be so quick to rush judgment on the Oline....The Sacks were almost all coverage sacks. The Brown's secondary did a good job staying plastered to the Steeler's receivers. The ground game....well, lets say there was predictability in the playcalling. When they lined up in a running formation, they ran. When they lined up in a passing formation, they passed. The Oline didn't have stellar play, but it's not all their fault. All around horrible game in all aspects of the game for the Steelers.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby WaCougMBS » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:16 am

All I really have to say about this game is: Yikes! Oh yeah, and wow...and OMG 8-o
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:31 am

8-o

This game is a perfect example why most people never consistently win money betting on football games.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby WaCougMBS » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:40 am

flotsamnjetsam wrote:8-o

This game is a perfect example why most people never consistently win money betting on football games.

Agreed - although all signs pointed towards the under, taking CLE to go along with it would have taken balls most big bettors probably don't have...
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby KAZTRE » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:49 am

200 points, Yeah it is a return yardage league, but we also have 1point per yard for rushing,passing and receiving which has been fun.
It's easy to look at and tell what you have (if Randy Moss has 93 yards receiving and a touchdown he's got 118,25 pnts for td).
KAZTRE
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby biju » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:40 am

KAZTRE wrote:200 points, Yeah it is a return yardage league, but we also have 1point per yard for rushing,passing and receiving which has been fun.
It's easy to look at and tell what you have (if Randy Moss has 93 yards receiving and a touchdown he's got 118,25 pnts for td).

Maybe I'm being really stupid today, but how in the world is that easier? In most leagues the 93 yards would either be 9 or 9.3 and maybe add some catches in their for a point or a half point. The TD is 6.

But what is easy about 93 yards and a TD equaling 118.25 points? That's all wrong...

:-o
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby KAZTRE » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:08 pm

biju wrote:
KAZTRE wrote:200 points, Yeah it is a return yardage league, but we also have 1point per yard for rushing,passing and receiving which has been fun.

Maybe I'm being really stupid today, but how in the world is that easier? In most leagues the 93 yards would either be 9 or 9.3 and maybe add some catches in their for a point or a half point. The TD is 6.

But what is easy about 93 yards and a TD equaling 118.25 points? That's all wrong...

:-o

Sorry I did not make that clear it is not 118.25 ,it is 93 pnts for the 93 yards 25 pnts for a td which equals 118 pnts. Granted I am new at Fantasy Football but to me most leagues scoring formula does not look right. For instance this weeks QB projections QBS scoring 21 or 25 or 29 that doesn't tell me much, but if you know he gets a point a yard and 25 pnts for a td then a QB who scored 275 probably got
225 yds passing and made 2 td passes. The reason we bumped the TD scoring up is let's say you have a receiver who gets 75 yards a week but never any TD's should he fair better than a guy who only gets 34 yards but has 2 TD receptions a game.
KAZTRE
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

PreviousNext

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting