2010 Draft - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

2010 Draft

Moderator: Football Moderators

2010 Draft

Postby Kareighuis » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:09 pm

The fantasy football season is almost over- but 2010 draft talk has already started! For instance, Jason Reid from Washington Post says McCoy, Clausen draw Redskins' attention.

The (current) 2010 Draft forum. Join us!
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 2010 Draft

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:20 am

Bradford shaking things up.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdo ... nfl,224453

Bradford's weight could have him flying up the boards
By Doug Farrar

As first reported by former NFL scout Daniel Jeremiah of Move The Sticks, Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford posted a weight of 236 pounds at his Friday morning Combine weigh-in. For those NFL personnel people who were on the fence about Bradford because of his formerly 223-pound frame, wondering if he could take repeated hits in the pocket at that size, a more muscled Bradford could shake up the top of the draft board.

What is not in question is Bradford's accuracy and ability to get the ball to all field levels. Playing behind the best offensive line in the college game in 2008, Bradford played pitch-and-catch to the tune of 4,720 yards and 50 touchdowns. After shoulder injuries shut down his 2009 season and he declared for the draft, Bradford has obviously been eating his Wheaties. The question now is whether the extra weight will affect his throwing motion and mechanics in any way -- word is the new weight is solid muscle, which speaks to his work ethic.

Though defensive tackles Gerald McCoy and Ndamukong Suh are widely regarded as the best players in this draft, the St. Louis Rams have a desperate need at quarterback and the first overall pick. If Bradford aces the interviews here in Indianapolis, and is able to throw well at his personal workout on March 25, he may have the Rams putting the pieces together and making him the first overall pick. And if that happens, McCoy and Suh could go to the very happy Detroit Lions and Tampa Bay Buccaneers, two teams in desperate need of interior line reinforcement.

UPDATE: Just off the media floor, Rams GM Billy DeVaney told me that the team has been in touch with Tom Condon, Bradford's agent, and has been cognizant of the workout progress.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby knapplc » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:40 pm

Suh is hands down the best player in the draft. It's looking like team need will drive him down to #2, but woe to the team that chooses McCoy over Suh (if that happens). It won't be as bad as Sam Bowie getting drafted in front of Michael Jordan, but it'll be a mistake.

I would like to see the Rams trade down to #3 and let the Bucs draft Suh. They need him and it's a smart move for both, but I don't know if there's enough incentive to make the Rams trade down.

What's likely to happen is Bradford goes #1, Suh #2 to the Lions and McCoy #3 to the Bucs. Bradford getting tossed to the wolves behind that porous O Line will be brutal, but that's the way the NFL is these days. He'd benefit from a year or two behind a veteran a la Aaron Rodgers, but it isn't happening.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby dula14 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:02 am

The Rams have been in need of a QB for a few years now but have gone a different direction in the past. With ownership in flux and a fan base in need of a kick in the backside, Bradford seems to be the choice in St. Louis this year. Of course, he will need to impress during his pro day and prove his shoulder is 100% healthy. One of the elite DTs would seem to be the safe choice, but this franchise is in desperate need of the kind of excitement that a DT just cannot provide - no matter how highly ranked.
dula14
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby knapplc » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:29 am

dula14 wrote:The Rams have been in need of a QB for a few years now but have gone a different direction in the past. With ownership in flux and a fan base in need of a kick in the backside, Bradford seems to be the choice in St. Louis this year. Of course, he will need to impress during his pro day and prove his shoulder is 100% healthy. One of the elite DTs would seem to be the safe choice, but this franchise is in desperate need of the kind of excitement that a DT just cannot provide - no matter how highly ranked.

I hear what you're saying, but Bradford isn't going to provide that spark that the fans want without a LOT of pieces around him.

I think Bradford is going to make a fine NFL quarterback. He's a good kid and a good QB. But he needs time, and he needs more pieces around him than the Rams can provide. I would hate to see him languish there on a crap team with the weight of the world on his shoulders. They're already comparing him to Matt Ryan, whose first season in the NFL was a near-miraculous success. Expecting him to have similar success as Ryan is too much to put on him right now.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:28 am

A team without a good QB just doesn't have a chance to win much in todays NFL. Teams can load the box and stop any back when they want.

STL NEEDS A QB first, unless they think Null is the answer?
2011 FFB Totals
Terrible at everything, and a liar.
FantasySportsMaven
General Manager
General Manager

Postby xpirtdesign » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:35 pm

In my opinion the NFL has changed so much. These days you dont really even need a great defense or a running back. I never thought I would see the day when the stock of running backs would plummet this far. But teams must remember that there are only so many Drew Brees and Peyton Mannings out there.
xpirtdesign
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby 18 and 1 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:38 am

xpirtdesign wrote:In my opinion the NFL has changed so much. These days you dont really even need a great defense or a running back. I never thought I would see the day when the stock of running backs would plummet this far. But teams must remember that there are only so many Drew Brees and Peyton Mannings out there.

That may be true, but the bust factor is probably highest with QBs. A team can also set themselves back years by making the wrong decision when drafting a QB.
18 and 1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Lung » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:22 pm

NFL Draft Live Chat is now ready and located here: http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/chat.php

C'mon in, the water is warm! ;-D
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby The Lung » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:20 pm

The chat will resume tomorrow when the second round of the NFL Draft resumes at 6 PM EST. Please join us! ;-D
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Return to Football Talk