My Greatest Fear/Obsession... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

My Greatest Fear/Obsession...

Moderator: Football Moderators

My Greatest Fear/Obsession...

Postby sox 06 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:42 pm

My greatest fear of driving is something going wrong with the tires on the car. I don't know why as I've never had any bad experiences that had to do with tires (except a slightly flat tire last spring, no big deal there). So today I drove home from school to have my snow tires put on. I went to a tire/battery place where I am friends with the manager. Because the place wasn't busy, I went into the garage and talked with the guys and watched them put my tires on. The two of them got three of the tires mounted and when they were looking at the fourth, there was a problem. Right on the edge of the tire where it meets the rim, there was a tear in the rubber. The metal band could be seen if the rubber was peeled back and I was advised that the tire (brand new from last winter) wasn't safe to put on the car. However, I needed a car to drive back to school tonight and the two guys felt that it would be safe for a least a little while. I drove home with no problems. I went around and lightly kicked each tire, as I do quite often, to make sure the air pressure is good. When I got to the "bad tire" the instant that I kicked it, part of the tire came off of the rim and air started leaking out. A rather large bulge formed on the tire and obviously rendered the car un-drivable. People always make fun of me for kicking my tires after I drive, but tonight that habit might have saved my car and or me from something bad happening. My drive consists of an hour on the turnpike and another hour on a road averaging between 45MPH and 60MPH. Having a tire dismount from a rim at those speeds would not be good 8-o
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: My Greatest Fear/Obsession...

Postby lmcjaho » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:28 pm

Yikes!

I was driving home one night and came up behind a car about a mile ahead with his four-way flashers on. As I got closer I had to make a crazy swerve to dodge the wheel he had left behind by about 1/8 of a mile!

He had just had his winter tires put on (or maybe it was summer tires, I can't remember which season now) and the place hadn't properly tightened the lugs - so his wheel came loose and fell off at about 40 MPH. He was a little shaken up when I got to his car and I went back down the road and picked up his wheel before someone hit it and had an accident.

Nice save sox06.
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby sox 06 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:37 pm

lmcjaho wrote:Yikes!

I was driving home one night and came up behind a car about a mile ahead with his four-way flashers on. As I got closer I had to make a crazy swerve to dodge the wheel he had left behind by about 1/8 of a mile!

He had just had his winter tires put on (or maybe it was summer tires, I can't remember which season now) and the place hadn't properly tightened the lugs - so his wheel came loose and fell off at about 40 MPH. He was a little shaken up when I got to his car and I went back down the road and picked up his wheel before someone hit it and had an accident.

Nice save sox06.

Wow, nice job helping him out ;-D

For me, it was one of those "something just doesn't seem right" moments. I'm going to go back to where I bought the tires and see if they can give me a deal on a new tire as the four of them are barely a year old. Also, I'm thinking of having the other three rechecked and remounted.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby portisfan24 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:47 am

Ya I sometimes worry about any sort of my problem with my truck, especially driving at highway speeds. Not much to be done about it but having regular maintenance done and being aware of a change (however slight) in the performance of your vehicle.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby lmcjaho » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:50 pm

Well, you'd probably have a fit if you saw what I am doing right now sox06.

I've been trying to get a car loan to buy a friend's car for $5k for use as a second winter vehicle and then to replace my Neon with in the spring as second summer vehicle. Unfortunately I can't get anyone to lend me the money as I just started a new job and I'm still in the probation period. So even though this car is worth at least $9k+ I have to pass it up.

Once all avenues for a loan were exhausted I decided there was no choice but to keep my baby (360hp rear-wheel-drive Charger) on the road for the winter, so studded winter tires were a must - $870 installed. Installation was a nightmare because the key to my wheel lock went missing on me. I always keep it in the change slot in the center-console change rack since I bought the car, but I think the mechanic who did my tie-rods a couple of months back forgot to put it back and/or give it to me. So AFTER waiting over an hour to get in the garage I realized the key was missing. So they sent me down the road to a body shop who usually breaks the locks off for them when customers need it - only they couldn't help me because the lug is bigger than the tool they have. So at this point it's looking like I'm pretty screwed but luckily the tire place guy is friends with the service guy at the dealer I bought the car from and he gets them to lend me one of their keys on the condition I bring it back to him when done. No problem - except the whole process thanks to all of this has now taken 3.5 hours and I am late for work. And now for the part that will freak you out sox - my wheels are 5 lug wheels, but the guy at the tire installation place said I can drive with only 4 of the 5 for the next couple of days (took the wheel lock lug off) until I can get new lugs for the missing ones. Actually he said I could drive all winter that way if I wanted to, that it was perfectly safe - but I think I'll take care of it on my day off on Tuesday rather than push it...
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby sox 06 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:45 pm

lmcjaho wrote:Well, you'd probably have a fit if you saw what I am doing right now sox06.

And now for the part that will freak you out sox - my wheels are 5 lug wheels, but the guy at the tire installation place said I can drive with only 4 of the 5 for the next couple of days (took the wheel lock lug off) until I can get new lugs for the missing ones. Actually he said I could drive all winter that way if I wanted to, that it was perfectly safe - but I think I'll take care of it on my day off on Tuesday rather than push it...

I would not drive that car in a million years. I know that's probably overreacting, but I wouldn't be able to stop thinking about it. I took the bad tire to the place where I bought it last year. I had to buy a new tire and the place didn't give me any kind of discount or deal. The tire is only one year old! There is no reason why I should have to pay full price for a tire that was driven on for four and a half months and that they ruined last spring. :-t
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Santacruzer » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:29 pm

lmcjaho wrote:He had just had his winter tires put on (or maybe it was summer tires, I can't remember which season now) and the place hadn't properly tightened the lugs - so his wheel came loose and fell off at about 40 MPH.

After having your lug nuts removed for rotation or tire changes, you're supposed to check them after about 30 miles of driving. They can become loose and may need to be re tightened. That's one on my OCD's, sox 06.
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby sox 06 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:16 pm

Santacruzer wrote:
lmcjaho wrote:He had just had his winter tires put on (or maybe it was summer tires, I can't remember which season now) and the place hadn't properly tightened the lugs - so his wheel came loose and fell off at about 40 MPH.

After having your lug nuts removed for rotation or tire changes, you're supposed to check them after about 30 miles of driving. They can become loose and may need to be re tightened. That's one on my OCD's, sox 06.

I didn't know you were suppose to do that, thanks for the tip ;-D
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby sox 06 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:34 am

Another Winter and another bubble in the same set of tires :-t

I had my Winter tires put on two or three weeks ago. I had to replace two of them because my car was out of alignment last Winter and the two rear tires were cupped and trashed. Two tires, mount and balance and studs cost a couple hundred bucks :-C

I was having my oil changed yesterday and while the guy was doing the change, I was out in the shop talking to him (I know him from my work). I was just walking around my car when I noticed one of the rear tires had a bubble in it. He took the wheel off the car and the tire off the rim and discovered that the bead was torn and the metal belt was frayed and falling apart. About a foot away from the tear there was another tear. This was one of the tires that he put on new only two or three weeks ago. All I can say is stay away from General Altimax Artic snow tires, they stink.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:17 am

yikes.... I have to ask this - do you curb damage your wheels? The only time I've seen damage like that right where it meets the rim is from road rash. The tire gets damaged from contact, or the rim itself gets damaged, and then damages the tire.

That sucks either way, man. Tires are freakin expensive, like you said, a grand for new rubber all around.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Next

Return to General Talk