My Greatest Fear/Obsession... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

My Greatest Fear/Obsession...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: My Greatest Fear/Obsession...

Postby sox 06 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:38 am

scottaa1 wrote:yikes.... I have to ask this - do you curb damage your wheels? The only time I've seen damage like that right where it meets the rim is from road rash. The tire gets damaged from contact, or the rim itself gets damaged, and then damages the tire.

That sucks either way, man. Tires are freakin expensive, like you said, a grand for new rubber all around.

Nope, no curb damage. The only time I park in the city is when I work and I'm always careful because I got a set of alloy rims a few weeks ago and I don't want to ruin them.

The other possible cause that came up was hitting a bad pothole, which I also haven't done. The roads in Maine are horrible, so there are some spots that just can't be avoided but I always slow way down if I'm forced to hit a rough spot. I slow down not only to save the rims/tires, but also because Civics don't have a very forgiving suspension.

I have never had any trouble with my Summer tires and I've had all kinds of trouble with these Winter tires so I don't think its a coincidence.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stomperrob » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:17 pm

Jeez, I haven't bought snow tires in about 30 years and we get tons of snow up here in the Great White North!
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby lmcjaho » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:21 pm

stomperrob wrote:Jeez, I haven't bought snow tires in about 30 years and we get tons of snow up here in the Great White North!

They made snow tires mandatory here in Quebec last year stomper. If only they could make common sense mandatory for drivers too... :-°
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby stomperrob » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:37 pm

lmcjaho wrote:
stomperrob wrote:Jeez, I haven't bought snow tires in about 30 years and we get tons of snow up here in the Great White North!

They made snow tires mandatory here in Quebec last year stomper. If only they could make common sense mandatory for drivers too... :-°

Yeh, common sense would be nice - always seems like people are either driving way too fast or way too slow for the road conditions.

Always used to be mandatory here for either snow tires or chains if driving through the mountains to BC on the Trans-Canada, not sure if it's still that way since I've never had need to drive there in the winter. I've driven up to the mountains (Banff) in all kinds of waether (snow, blizzards, etc) without them no prob.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)

Postby sox 06 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:46 pm

I drive a Honda Civic in Maine so I think snow tires are a good thing to have.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby joejlitz » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:43 am

What I don't get is why your tires didn't come with a warranty. Most tires come with 30,000-60,000 miles.

Also, I never buy snow tires but my first assumption is that General Altimax Artic is not a good brand. Nothing goes on my car but Michelen, Goodyear, or Firestone. It's a little more expensive, but knowing I've got the best tires on my car makes me feel safer about taking my family anywhere - plus they all come with at least 50K on the warranty, so I'm not paying to replace them every year.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby sox 06 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:13 pm

joejlitz wrote:What I don't get is why your tires didn't come with a warranty. Most tires come with 30,000-60,000 miles.

Also, I never buy snow tires but my first assumption is that General Altimax Artic is not a good brand. Nothing goes on my car but Michelen, Goodyear, or Firestone. It's a little more expensive, but knowing I've got the best tires on my car makes me feel safer about taking my family anywhere - plus they all come with at least 50K on the warranty, so I'm not paying to replace them every year.

I think they did come with a warranty, but that warranty was "broken" because for the second winter I owned them, I had them mounted at a different place from where I bought them (a friend became manager at a tire/battery place). When I noticed the first bubble (before the tire was mounted) I took it back to the place that I bought the tires from and showed it to them. They got me a new tire, mount and balanced it on the rim and charged me $79 and said "that's the best they could do."

General is suppose to be a good brand of tires. I went onto Tire Rack and supposedly these exact tires are the best snow tires for my car.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Previous

Return to General Talk