Playoff Tie - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Playoff Tie

Moderator: Football Moderators

Playoff Tie

Postby brockretz09 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:36 pm

I am commissioner of a league and have a huge mess on my hands. The mess is entirely my fault because I didn't set a clear playoff tiebreaker before hand. Well as you might have guessed I have 2 teams that tied this week. Looking for some feedback on what is the fairest way to handle it for everyone involved. Should I do a league vote on tiebreakers, just make a decision and stick with it? Any help would be appreciated.
brockretz09
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Playoff Tie

Postby spodog » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:58 pm

If you didn't have anything defined ahead of time (oops), then the only fair thing you can do is get an independent, objective 3rd party to do a coin flip, and allow it to be witnessed by both teams if possible.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:22 pm

spodog wrote:If you didn't have anything defined ahead of time (oops), then the only fair thing you can do is get an independent, objective 3rd party to do a coin flip, and allow it to be witnessed by both teams if possible.

i agree with spodog here...it's an unfortunate circumstance, but the only fair way to do it
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mbfshs2004 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:06 pm

I don't think it is fair to the teams involved, to simply have it come down to a coin flip... some how I think their needs to be a tie breaker chosen possibly via a league poll... I personally think head to head during the regular season should be used.

I have a similar situation myself...
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=464679
mbfshs2004
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:30 pm

Someone else here already posed this solution, which I thought was an option.

Let the two teams who were tied both potentially advance, and whichever scores the most this week, is the team who advanced and played then is compaed to the 3rd team in the mix to see who gets to advance to the finals.

Problem with that is that the 3rd untied team must defeat two teams for them to advance.
2011 FFB Totals
Terrible at everything, and a liar.
FantasySportsMaven
General Manager
General Manager

Postby laurap1 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:55 pm

We have had the same issue and the fairest way appears to be to take the teams exact score so use fraction pts, if you wr ran 38 yds you get 3.8 pts for that player instead of 3. This way the integrity of the playoff game isn't disrupted. It is exactly how your team did. Hope this helps
laurap1
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby ABA316 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:50 pm

Depending who your hosting site is, they may have their own tiebreakers already.
ABA316 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Commissioner's Corner