Anyone have a Droid? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Anyone have a Droid?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Anyone have a Droid?

Postby scottaa1 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:36 pm

I'm looking to buy a new phone. My current one is a razor that I got years ago so there's alot of new stuff available now. After playing with a coworkers iPhone for a few days I was planning to go that route but someone said i really ought to at least look at the Droid. I don't know anyone who has one so I'll just have to stop at a store and listen to a salesperson. Anyone here have any experience with them?
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Anyone have a Droid?

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:12 pm

mine was stolen by jawas
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:53 pm

I have one, but now I'm thinking it was most unwise to buy one when the HTC Passion is likely to come out next month. Faster processor (1 GHz to Droid's 600 MHz), bigger screen relative to Droid (4.3 to 3.7), great user interface, and runs Android 2.1 (I think). There's a great chance it goes to Verizon, but really that's up in the air.

All in all, I like Droid. It's a bit more complicated to navigate than iPhone and not quite as intuitive as iPhone, but the call quality is excellent and the display is fantastic (has a better resolution than iPhone). It also has free Google Maps navigation. I think it can lose the QWERTY keyboard, as it's a bit clunky. It's not as good as iPhone with regards to playing music/video and so, if you're looking for a smartphone with all the multimedia bells and whistles, Droid doesn't quite fit that bill yet. Another downside is that the number of Android applications are limited relative to iPhone, but the good news is if Android takes off as a platform, more developers will flock toward making apps for it and they likely will, as it's open source. Apple being Apple, they have sole control over what applications are sold on their AppStore and a good share of developers aren't too happy developing for iPhone. If Google/Motorola can fix that design bug about applications only stored on internal memory (it's only 512 MB) and onto the SD card, that would be massive.

If I were you, I'd probably wait for when the HTC Passion comes out. I will say that aside from the processor being superior to Droid and the camera's capability to record 720p HD video, Passion is just a souped-up version of Droid minus the QWERTY keyboard. If it has that hardware design fix about storage, it becomes a much bigger upgrade than Droid, IMO.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:09 pm

I stopped by a store to look at a Droid on the way home. They didn't have any that I could turn on and mess with the interface, which sucked. However, I was thinking that the slide-out keyboard may be a big factor in my choice and as you said, it was a big disappointment. I didn't like it at al. Also, what you said about the multimedia bells and whistles about sums it up for me, I want pretty and shiny and what I've seen on the apple fits that.

Interesting about the Passion, I'm going to look that up.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby lmcjaho » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:22 pm

So to sum it all up for us then:

This wasn't the Droid you were looking for?

Hmmm..... ;-7
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby WaCougMBS » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:11 pm

lmcjaho wrote:So to sum it all up for us then:

This wasn't the Droid you were looking for?

Hmmm..... ;-7

Don't try that Jedi mind trick on us! You must be an AT&T guy 8-o
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:13 pm

Don't have the Droid and don't know about it either.

What I do Know is I have an Iphone for personal use and a Crackberry for work. The crackberry is ok but I really haven't used it like I do my Iphone. The Iphone is rediculous. I love it. Plays video, awesome games with very good graphics for a phone, music, map program that is unbelievable (gps your position and even color coded traffic conditions), etc.

My only issue with the Iphone is the popup keyboard. Its kind of cool but is tougher to use than my blackberry. Also with ATT it drops calls alot and doesn't seem to get as good of reception as a phone before I had for 5 years.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:32 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:Also with ATT it drops calls alot and doesn't seem to get as good of reception as a phone before I had for 5 years.

That's a big reason why I didn't buy an iPhone and stuck with Verizon instead, hoping that the iPhone would cross over eventually once their exclusivity deal runs out with AT&T.

Now that Droid and probably the Passion as well are on the Verizon network, I don't believe the iPhone is coming to Verizon next year as some had hoped.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:17 pm

The smartphone is the best thing to happen to the bathroom break since the Gameboy. I had to drop the kids off at the pool this morning after I got to work and was almost late for a meeting.

Stopped by the Apple store on my way home from work yesterday. Got home at 5:30 and was still up at 12:30 this morning playing with the thing. Other than nuking leftovers for dinner, that was all I did. :-*
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:26 pm

Exit: Oop double post. From a computer not the phone.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Next

Return to General Talk