Jake Locker to return for senior season - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Jake Locker to return for senior season

Moderator: Football Moderators

Jake Locker to return for senior season

Postby Metroid » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:55 pm

It's official, Locker will indeed stay for his senior season with the Huskies. I wish you nothing but luck Jake...except against my Ducks. :-B

Seriously though I think it's a bad decision. Think about Matt Leinart Jake! Think about Sam Bradford Jake! :-o

Obviously he's not coming back to improve his draft stock. I think he'll be, or at least should be, the first QB taken in the draft, and he could be the first overall pick in the draft depending on who's picking. Man I'd take the money an run. :-b

linkage
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Jake Locker to return for senior season

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:58 pm

I couldn't agree more Met. The guy is ready for the NFL and his stock couldn't get a whole lot higher. I guess there are a fair amount of QBs going out this year, but that doesn't change the fact that he'd still be drafted early. He already missed 8 weeks a year ago due to injury. Whose to say that that doesn't happen again and kill his NFL chances?

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Sandrock » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:42 pm

He's definitely not ready to start in the NFL, no matter what the numbers vs CAL tell you. He's looked distinctively average this season and I have seen all of the UW games except for the Apple Cup. When I saw him in person he only completed one significant pass over 4 quarters and that came in garbage time vs a 3rd string defense.
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:41 pm

Well regardless of whether you think he's ready or not he should still take the money. I do not understand what he hopes to prove in Washington that is worth risking setting himself and his family for life. He is being offered the world right now, there is no guarantee the world will be there this time next year. One freak play and his NFL career is over before it even begins.
Metroid

Postby Sandrock » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:59 am

Metroid wrote:Well regardless of whether you think he's ready or not he should still take the money. I do not understand what he hopes to prove in Washington that is worth risking setting himself and his family for life. He is being offered the world right now, there is no guarantee the world will be there this time next year. One freak play and his NFL career is over before it even begins.

He will purchase the same insurance that Matt Leinart purchased before he came back for his Senior year. I can't remember the exact specifics, but if he got hurt and couldn't play in the NFL, his policy paid his almost $42 million over 10 years. Pretty sure that's enough to set him and his family for life.
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Metroid » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:39 am

Sandrock wrote:
Metroid wrote:Well regardless of whether you think he's ready or not he should still take the money. I do not understand what he hopes to prove in Washington that is worth risking setting himself and his family for life. He is being offered the world right now, there is no guarantee the world will be there this time next year. One freak play and his NFL career is over before it even begins.

He will purchase the same insurance that Matt Leinart purchased before he came back for his Senior year. I can't remember the exact specifics, but if he got hurt and couldn't play in the NFL, his policy paid his almost $42 million over 10 years. Pretty sure that's enough to set him and his family for life.

Are you serious? I've never heard of anything like that. 8-o
Metroid

Postby Metroid » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:08 am

I just educated myself on the type of insurance policy the Leinart family took out on him. I Really cannot believe I've never heard of this before now. Anyway I haven't read anywhere that it amounts to anywhere close to 42 million. The policies are called "Premium Player Insurance Policies." The particulars are private and not revealed, but from what I understand Leinart was probably covered for about $10 million for his senior season, maybe a little more. Basically if Leinart would have gotten hurt he would have been paid out about the same amount of guaranteed money he received on his contract, about $14 million.

I read about the policies on several sites but I pulled these quotes from this one
Premiums for policies secured through private insurers can cost anywhere from about $15,000 for $1 million of coverage to about $200,000 for $10 million, Lerner said. Policies are typically for 12- to 18-month periods, but they can be for as short as one game. If a career-ending injury occurs, a tax-free, lump-sum payout is made one year from the date of the injury.

The premiums for policies secured through the NCAA are slightly cheaper. The cost of a $1-million, 18-month policy, for example, is $10,000 to $12,000. But the NCAA caps coverage for football players at $3 million. Tax-free payouts are issued every six months over the course of 30 months.

While the policies are very costly, and are not quite what a healthy player will earn in an NFL contract, they definitely make the decision to stay in school much less of a risk.
Metroid

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:11 am

Sandrock wrote:

It's not just about injury. Think about Jevon Snead, who's 2008 compares VERY similarly to Locker's 2009. Both Snead 2008 and Locker 2009 were guys with great measurables, good running ability, but were still seen as a bit raw as a passer. Both were guys who, as far as draft stock goes, really surged at the end of the season kind of coming almost out of nowhere to go from someone that wasn't even on draft talk radars to being one of the best prospects of the next year's draft, almost overnight in week 8 or 9.

Both guys chose to come back, instead entering the next year as one of the top pro prospects and were expected to really show the nation just how good they are.

Snead's draft stock is now but a shell of what it once was. That's because these "raw" guys could get away with it when they were the sheik out of the spotlight picks that could have several mediocre weeks that got ignored because no one was really paying attention to them. But the next year, in the national spotlight as one of the top prospects to start the year, that same kind of thing won't fly. Locker's passing numbers this year are barely better than Snead's, yet Snead has fallen off the map and Locker hasn't. A big part of that is that Locker is the "hey there's this guy you're not talking about" pick and Snead entered the year with a lot of publicity.

Locker could slip by with some mediocre/poor performances this year because no one was paying attention, and really only looked at him when all of the sudden it was "oh hey that Locker kid had another big game this week". That won't fly next year.

He should go pro. Not because I necessarily think that he won't perform next year, but rather because unlike this year, he'll actually HAVE to perform every game rather than just flash the tools whenever he feels like it. If he has the same season next year that he did this year, his draft stock will fall, just like Snead's.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby WaCougMBS » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:00 pm

I was surprised, and as a Cougar fan, annoyed, but I at least get another year to try to trade for the proper draft pick to land him in my QB-less (for 2011) dynasty team :-D
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Sandrock » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:01 pm

I believe Leinart had a Loss of Value policy from Lloyd's of London which paid up to 42 million. I could be wrong but that's the number that I keep remembering, even though with a quick search I couldn't find any concrete numbers.
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to College Football