Jake Locker to return for senior season - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Jake Locker to return for senior season

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Jake Locker to return for senior season

Postby knapplc » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:37 am

Locker's biggest problem will be September 18th when he faces the Huskers front four. If you thought our defense was good this year, you ain't seen nothing yet. :-)

We lose a once-in-a-generation player in Suh and an average DE in Turner. We lose a solid LB in Phil Dill. We lose a hard-hitting Safety in Asante.

And that's it.

We return Crick and Pierre Allen on the front line. Suh's spot will be taken by Terrence Moore or Baker Steinkuhler, and while there WILL be a drop off without Suh, it won't be nearly as much as you think. We'll replace Turner with Cameron Meredith whose motor never stops, and who had solid numbers in backup duty at DE; he'll be an immediate improvement over Turner. We'll rotate Jason Ankrah at DE, so when you're tired in the third and fourth quarters and you've been battling Meredith's speed all game, then Ankrah comes in... ouch. Ankrah will be a monster in a year or two.

At LB we'll lose a run-stopper in Phil Dill, but we'll replace him with Eric Martin, who is a ravening beast of a Freshman right now and who will be around the ball constantly. We also bring in a JUCO Lavonte David at LB, who (allegedly) will immediately compete for starting time.

We have four or five Seniors in our secondary, going up against Lockers WR corps of sophomores and juniors. I'm liking that match up.

Washington is a tough place to play, but I think we'll be just fine.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:12 am

Sandrock wrote:I believe Leinart had a Loss of Value policy from Lloyd's of London which paid up to 42 million. I could be wrong but that's the number that I keep remembering, even though with a quick search I couldn't find any concrete numbers.

I couldn't either, I'm not saying you're mistaken, just that I can't find any concrete numbers. Even if there wasn't a loss of value clause the $10 million injury policy makes the risk of staying in college look much less risky. Sure it's not the big NFL payday but $10 million is nothing to sneeze at.

Yes knapp Nebraska's defense is going to be a force next season. But I have to ask, is anything happening that will improve the offense? It seemed to me that if teams this year could put a decent defense on the field against Nebraska, or in the case of Iowa State just allow the Huskers to self destruct, that they had a good chance at outlasting them. :-?
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby KCollins1304 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:28 pm

Metroid wrote:
Sandrock wrote:I believe Leinart had a Loss of Value policy from Lloyd's of London which paid up to 42 million. I could be wrong but that's the number that I keep remembering, even though with a quick search I couldn't find any concrete numbers.

I couldn't either, I'm not saying you're mistaken, just that I can't find any concrete numbers. Even if there wasn't a loss of value clause the $10 million injury policy makes the risk of staying in college look much less risky. Sure it's not the big NFL payday but $10 million is nothing to sneeze at.

Yes knapp Nebraska's defense is going to be a force next season. But I have to ask, is anything happening that will improve the offense? It seemed to me that if teams this year could put a decent defense on the field against Nebraska, or in the case of Iowa State just allow the Huskers to self destruct, that they had a good chance at outlasting them. :-?

There was that game they lost at VT too. :-D
KCollins1304
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:53 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:
Metroid wrote:Yes knapp Nebraska's defense is going to be a force next season. But I have to ask, is anything happening that will improve the offense? It seemed to me that if teams this year could put a decent defense on the field against Nebraska, or in the case of Iowa State just allow the Huskers to self destruct, that they had a good chance at outlasting them. :-?

There was that game they lost at VT too. :-D

I quoted both because the offensive issues we have are the reason we lost the VT game. With a competent offense, that miracle heave downfield by Taylor doesn't matter. One touchdown is all it would have taken. Same against Texas, and if we simply hold on to the ball once out of those eight times, we beat ISU. For all Nebraska's offensive woes, three of our losses came by a total of four points, including two one-point losses in what amounts to two road games against the #2 and #12 teams. That bites.

I have it from "a source close to the team" that there will be changes in our offense next year. We're moving away from the Spread and/or WCO we've been "running" the last two years and moving toward a more Alabama-like offense, where we have a controlled passing game, two TEs and more downhill running. Our OC will either get on board with the changes or get out of town, along with a couple of assistants who've done a less than stellar job this year. We have the RBs to get the job done and we have some good (but injured this year) O Linemen who will do a much better job.

I would imagine our QB will change, and it may be a guy you've never heard of taking snaps next year, either Taylor Martinez or Ron Kellogg (redshirts) or one you may have heard of, Cody Green. I doubt Zac Lee sees the field except for mop up duty next year.

All we have to be on offense is competent. With a defense like we should field next year, people won't be scoring on us much. On top of that, we face Texas without Colt McCoy or Jordan Shipley. We face OK State without Zac Robinson and Dez Bryant. We miss Oklahoma and Texas Tech, unless we face either in the CCG.

If we can score 17-24 points per game, we should win most every game on our schedule, and compete well in the CCG and whatever bowl we play in.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:21 pm

Good stuff. I hope the offense can get cleaned up for next year, I've always had a soft spot for the Huskers for some reason. Like you said it's really about competence for the team to succeed as a whole. Basically don't make mistakes and turn the ball over. Let your defense win games for you and don't lose them on offense. Sounds pretty easy doesn't it. :-o
Metroid

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:56 pm

It obviously is not about the money with Locker. He would likely have been a top 10 pick and probably first QB off the board had he declared. This is all well and good for his pocket, but maybe he didn't feel he was ready to step into that situation. I love Locker as a player and have always said he was underrated. My NFL comparison of the guy is Donovan McNabb, so you can see where I think he will go. With that said, right now he is still raw and full of physical talent, but has some QB issues he needs to work out. Sark is a great coach and knows what he is doing with QBs. Another year will likely make him a much better QB and prepare him for the NFL. Also remember that the history on Junior QBs is not very good. Every 2 of 3 junior Qbs is an absolute bust, and that is for a reason. 4 year starter senior QB's, however, have a track record for being superstars. (see Manning, Manning, Flacco, Ryan, etc.) There is a reason these guys are better then the junior counterparts and it is because they stayed the extra year and learned rather then getting their brains beaten in with an NFL team. Finally, he completed less than 60% of his passes last season, which as I posted last season about Freeman is not a good thing for juniors http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/beh ... ntage.html

Another consideration is that Locker is not only a great quarterback, the guy is a hell of a baseball player. He was drafted in the 10th round, and likely will go higher next season if he has another good season. He has options, and baseball is guaranteed money.

Also, if he does have a "bad" season, he will likely only drop to the end of the first round, which means a better team and better situation. The only thing that would truly hurt is if he had a career ending type injury for baseball and football, and those odds are small. He will likely take out a policy like Leinart did on himself and be fine. He may lose some coin right now, but I think the extra year makes him a better QB now, and in the future.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:55 pm

I now agree dee. I honestly had never heard of these policies before. How? I have no idea.
Metroid

Previous

Return to College Football