Expansions! Expansions!! EXPANSIONS!!!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Expansions! Expansions!! EXPANSIONS!!!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Expansions! Expansions!! EXPANSIONS!!!!

Postby Metroid » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:31 am

I'm sure you've all heard by now that both conferences are considering expansion. I know both have in the past, but I'm curious what every one thinks. Would it be a good move? A bad move? Which teams should be absorbed by which conference? And what happens to the teams left out?

I've always thought the idea of a conference championship for the Pac 10 sounded interesting. I just worry about balancing the power in the conference. If it's just divided up regionally all the southern schools would be in one conference. The two Oregon schools are a top the Pac now but historically the southern schools have been more successful. I also like that the Pac 10 plays everyone in their conference every year. I'm not sure I want to change that. Anyway I haven't put a whole lot of thought into it but obviously BYU and Utah would be the logical choices for the Pac 10, Boise St. sounds nice, but other than football I'm not sure what else they have to really offer in the way of athletics. Plus it seems to get a lot more complicated once you start cherry picking teams from different conferences. Wouldn't it be better for one conference to be dismantled than two or three?

Anyway here's my brief thoughts on a way for this to go down, I tried to put a little thought into regional placement but it's tough...

Absorb from the Mountain West. The Pac 10 absorbs BYU and Utah becoming the PAC 12. The Big 10 absorbs TCU becoming the Big 12 East? The WAC absorbs UNLV, San Diego St, and New Mexico, giving them 12 teams and becoming the WAC 12? That leaves 3 schools from the Mountain West: Air Force, Colorado St, and Wyoming. Tough to place these regionally. How bout the Sun Belt absorbs Wyoming giving them 10 schools, and the Big East absorbs both the Colorado schools, Air Force and Colorado St giving them 10 as well? Or Air Force becomes an Independent like the other military schools, Wyoming still joins the Sun Belt, but Colorado St instead joins the Mid American Conference giving them 14 schools.

Pac 12 would be...
North
Washington
Washington St.
Oregon
Oregon St.
BYU
Utah

South
USC
Cal
UCLA
Stanford
Arizona
Arizona St.

Big 12 East would be...
North
Penn State
Michigan
Michigan State
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Iowa

South
Ohio State
Illinois
Indiana
Northwestern
Purdue
TCU

Anyway I know that's not really the answer. I do know that the Pac 10 would be considering BYU and Utah, but the Big 10 is not considering TCU. Last I heard the Big 10 wants Pitt or Rutgers, I've even heard Mizzou. Really? That would jack up the Big 12 North. I suppose if the Big 10 did take Mizzou then the Big 12 could just take TCU, that would be good regionally anyway. I've also heard something about the Pac 10 not wanting BYU because they wont play on Sundays? Or maybe it was the other way around, either way that's silly, just don't schedule BYU games on Sundays. I guess The Pac 10 could take Boise St and Idaho from the WAC and replace them with BYU and Utah. If all that happened...

Big 12 West would be
North
Colorado
Iowa St
Kansas
Kansas St
Nebraska
TCU

South
Baylor
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St.
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech

Big 12 East would be...
North
Penn State
Michigan
Michigan State
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Iowa

South
Ohio State
Illinois
Indiana
Northwestern
Purdue
Missouri

Pac 12 would be...
North
Washington
Washington St.
Oregon
Oregon St.
Boise St
Idaho

South
USC
Cal
UCLA
Stanford
Arizona
Arizona St.

I've probably made more of a mess of things than anything, but what does everyone else think?
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Both Pac 10 and Big 10 considering expansion

Postby knapplc » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:01 am

I think the most logical team to move into the Big 10 is Notre Dame, but I just read that they're not interested in the least. They like being independent and they want to stay that way. I think it's a big mistake, but whatever.

Missouri makes sense for the Big 10 geographically, and it would bring in viewership from a state with almost six million residents. The Tigers would be interesting competition for the Big 10 football powers - they tend to be more fast-paced like the Big 12, not built on lumbering strength like the Big 10. Missouri is one of the founding members of the old Big 8, and it would seem very unlikely that they would leave.

You'll hear Nebraska's name mentioned. Ignore it. It ain't happening.

I think Pittsburgh would make sense for the Big 10. They have a large following, they're strong in basketball and football, and they're geographically logical. Penn State is against this in a big way, though, and that'll be trouble.

Not really sure who else the Big 10 would logically go after. They're saying they might want as many as three other teams. Good luck with that.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:38 am

Notre Dame is not joining any conference. What if Missouri does join the Big 10? Who does the Big 12 replace them with? And what about the Pac 10, any thoughts there?
Metroid

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:41 am

Pac 10 should absorb Utah and BSU.

Big 10 should take someone like Rutgers, Syracuse etc.

ND will not go to a conference, and Joe Pa already said the Big 10 shouldn't even ask anyway because they turned them down in the past
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:48 am

deerayfan072 wrote:Pac 10 should absorb Utah and BSU.

Big 10 should take someone like Rutgers, Syracuse etc.

ND will not go to a conference, and Joe Pa already said the Big 10 shouldn't even ask anyway because they turned them down in the past

What happens to the conferences that have teams absorbed?
Metroid

Postby knapplc » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:51 pm

BCS Map

If the Big 12 loses a team (Missouri, and I've heard ISU tossed in there, which is laughable), they'll likely try poach TCU from the Mountain West or Houston from Conference USA. I can't imagine they'd turn that offer down, either team.

There's been talk amongst Big 12 fans that if Nebraska or Missouri left they'd try to get Arkansas from the SEC. I about spit my coffee out when I read that. What possible motivation could Arkansas have for leaving the SEC and all that money? There are some really wild speculations out there.

I think the SEC is secure. They're not losing anybody, although Kentucky isn't all that far away from the Big 10. But they make more money in the SEC, so again, I don't see a move there.

The ACC could see a team targeted, but not sure who. Geographically, VA Tech is close enough not to overly burden schools with travel costs. Can't see why they would want to leave the ACC right now. Maybe Boston College would get a look? Hard to say, but again it's going to be really difficult to pry a school from another BCS conference.

The Big East should be thinking long and hard about contingencies. Cincinnati might be looking pretty good to the Big 10 right now. I can't imagine why they'd be interested in a weak school with little following like Rutgers, even with the New York/New Jersey market.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby KCollins1304 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:50 pm

I really don't think VT would leave the ACC. The Big 10 really isn't that appealing of a conference if you're already in a BCS conference.
KCollins1304
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:32 pm

Boise St. and Utah seem logical for me for the Pac 10.

For the Big 10, how about Boston College? They were briefly mentioned earlier, but not really discussed a whole lot. Geographically, it would make sense, Penn St. would definitely prefer them in there to Pitt, and in the past, they've shown willingness to move from one major conference to another. Also, they don't really have a rival in the ACC that it would harm them to leave.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Sandrock » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:45 pm

It would be interesting to see BSU Wrestling in the Pac; wrestling programs are in short supply on the West Coast. I doubt any of the four schools mentioned (maybe Utah) could meet the terms the Pac would look for, they already have two money-stricken schools (athletics wise) in WSU and OSU, they aren't looking for more of the same.
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:40 pm

knapplc wrote:BCS Map

If the Big 12 loses a team (Missouri, and I've heard ISU tossed in there, which is laughable), they'll likely try poach TCU from the Mountain West or Houston from Conference USA. I can't imagine they'd turn that offer down, either team.

There's been talk amongst Big 12 fans that if Nebraska or Missouri left they'd try to get Arkansas from the SEC. I about spit my coffee out when I read that. What possible motivation could Arkansas have for leaving the SEC and all that money? There are some really wild speculations out there.

I think the SEC is secure. They're not losing anybody, although Kentucky isn't all that far away from the Big 10. But they make more money in the SEC, so again, I don't see a move there.

The ACC could see a team targeted, but not sure who. Geographically, VA Tech is close enough not to overly burden schools with travel costs. Can't see why they would want to leave the ACC right now. Maybe Boston College would get a look? Hard to say, but again it's going to be really difficult to pry a school from another BCS conference.

The Big East should be thinking long and hard about contingencies. Cincinnati might be looking pretty good to the Big 10 right now. I can't imagine why they'd be interested in a weak school with little following like Rutgers, even with the New York/New Jersey market.

Because for the big 10 it isn;t about football or markets, it is about maintaining the academic situation. This is why Cincy is out. they are no where near the academic standards the other Big 10 teams have. Rutgers has high standards, and is a solid team, which is why the fit. The Big 10 wouldn't want Cincy. They are a good team that can beat Big 10 teams and don't meet academic standards. These conferences want to add teams, but want to add teams they can beat, and in the Big 10's case, they need a team with high academic standards.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to College Football