Expansions! Expansions!! EXPANSIONS!!!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Expansions! Expansions!! EXPANSIONS!!!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Both Pac 10 and Big 10 considering expansion

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:41 pm

Metroid wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:Pac 10 should absorb Utah and BSU.

Big 10 should take someone like Rutgers, Syracuse etc.

ND will not go to a conference, and Joe Pa already said the Big 10 shouldn't even ask anyway because they turned them down in the past

What happens to the conferences that have teams absorbed?

Big East wouldn't need to add a team if they didn't want to. if they do, maybe an ECU. As far as replacing Utah and BSU, I could care less what that MWC and WAC do to replace teams
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:25 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
Metroid wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:Pac 10 should absorb Utah and BSU.

Big 10 should take someone like Rutgers, Syracuse etc.

ND will not go to a conference, and Joe Pa already said the Big 10 shouldn't even ask anyway because they turned them down in the past

What happens to the conferences that have teams absorbed?

Big East wouldn't need to add a team if they didn't want to. if they do, maybe an ECU. As far as replacing Utah and BSU, I could care less what that MWC and WAC do to replace teams

lol, OK then. :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:27 pm

I heard from a friend in Pittsburgh that Pitt held a closed-door meeting with its student athletes about a possible move to the Big 10, and he says that an announcement will come by Thursday if they decide to move. Take it with a grain of salt because I have no way at all of confirming what he said other than him saying that some Pitt athletes twittered about a move following the meeting (and I don't feel like checking their Twitter accounts). I haven't found anything from credible news sources either, so this could be nothing, but I figured I'd bring it up.

Can't say I would be happy about that; I'd like to see Mizzou get that spot so they stop getting screwed out of good bowl games and get out of the Big 12 North, which will never get the respect or attention of the South.

EDIT: An actual link with a refutation of above rumors by a Big 10 source: http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/02/bogus-report-has-pittsburgh-set-to-join-big-ten.html This wouldn't be the first time officials denied a 100% true report, so we'll just have to see if anything happens by Thursday.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby knapplc » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:19 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:Can't say I would be happy about that; I'd like to see Mizzou get that spot so they stop getting screwed out of good bowl games and get out of the Big 12 North, which will never get the respect or attention of the South.

Now, come on. The Big XII North has nobody to blame for its issues but itself. Nebraska, K-State, Missouri, Colorado and Kansas enjoyed a measure of success in the 1990s that was every bit the equal of the South. The North teams just frittered it all away on stupid coaching disasters. Tom Osborne retired, Bill McCartney retired, Bill Snyder retired and none of them were replaced well. On top of that you had a ridiculous AD come in at Nebraska who trashed the program, and the rest of the North gravitated toward mediocrity in other, various ways.

But now Missouri is respectable, Nebraska is rebuilding, Kansas is making up ground on what they lost, K-State has Bill Snyder and a new attitude back, and Iowa State even has a coach with a bunch of moxie in Paul Rhodes. With hard work the future looks bright for the North, but they have to maintain and not lose their minds.

Missouri's situation is somewhat different, and I know you guys got screwed a couple of times in recent bowl pairings. Not really sure why that is, whether it has more to do with revenue (butts in seats) or public perception or what it is. But I will guarantee you this – Missouri will not prosper by leaving the Big XII. If the Tigers think they're getting the shaft in a conference they've been in since its inception, and the predecessor before that for time out of mind, imagine what'll happen once the honeymoon period wears off in the Big 10, where Ohio State and Michigan hold court like two old gnarly bulls in a too-small pasture.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby steelerfan513 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:13 pm

knapplc wrote:
steelerfan513 wrote:Can't say I would be happy about that; I'd like to see Mizzou get that spot so they stop getting screwed out of good bowl games and get out of the Big 12 North, which will never get the respect or attention of the South.

Now, come on. The Big XII North has nobody to blame for its issues but itself. Nebraska, K-State, Missouri, Colorado and Kansas enjoyed a measure of success in the 1990s that was every bit the equal of the South. The North teams just frittered it all away on stupid coaching disasters. Tom Osborne retired, Bill McCartney retired, Bill Snyder retired and none of them were replaced well. On top of that you had a ridiculous AD come in at Nebraska who trashed the program, and the rest of the North gravitated toward mediocrity in other, various ways.

But now Missouri is respectable, Nebraska is rebuilding, Kansas is making up ground on what they lost, K-State has Bill Snyder and a new attitude back, and Iowa State even has a coach with a bunch of moxie in Paul Rhodes. With hard work the future looks bright for the North, but they have to maintain and not lose their minds.

Missouri's situation is somewhat different, and I know you guys got screwed a couple of times in recent bowl pairings. Not really sure why that is, whether it has more to do with revenue (butts in seats) or public perception or what it is. But I will guarantee you this – Missouri will not prosper by leaving the Big XII. If the Tigers think they're getting the shaft in a conference they've been in since its inception, and the predecessor before that for time out of mind, imagine what'll happen once the honeymoon period wears off in the Big 10, where Ohio State and Michigan hold court like two old gnarly bulls in a too-small pasture.

I know that the North isn't exactly at its peak right now and that it's getting there, but can they really expect to consistently compete with the likes of Oklahoma, Texas and the other Big 12 South teams that have the benefit of being in the area where the country's best high school football is played? Sure, Michigan and Ohio State are the big dogs in the Big 10, but I'd say they're not as dominant as Texas and Oklahoma are in the Big 12. Penn State is consistently competitive, and teams like Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin get their time. Mizzou could be among those teams in the Big 10, but I just don't see that happening if they stay in the Big 12. Most of the teams that show the potential of competing with Texas and Oklahoma come from the South: Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, Texas Tech. The top half of the North is getting a lot better, but nobody will give them respect because they play Kansas State, Iowa State and Colorado. The perception is that the North is a lot weaker than the South, and that's reinforced when Kansas starts 5-0 only to not make a bowl, Kansas State finishes 2nd in the North when they're not even bowl eligible, and Mizzou loses to Baylor at home and gets trashed by Navy. Regardless of when/if the North catches up, it will take some time for that perception to be broken. Mizzou wouldn't have that problem in the Big 10.

Financially it would be extremely advantageous for Mizzou to move. They'd get slightly better bowls, and they'd be GUARANTEED to play in the bowl they deserve because the Big 10 has fixed bowl rules. You wouldn't see the Insight Bowl pick 6-6 Iowa State over 8-4 Mizzou team that, by the way, beat Iowa State head-to-head. You also wouldn't see a 6-6 Big 12 South team, like Texas A&M this year, get a higher bid than Mizzou. The Big 10 also makes more money than any conference besides the SEC. That would be a big factor in the decision, and I think it would override concerns over the recruiting hit they would take from losing their ability to pick off Texas recruits that get passed over by Texas and Oklahoma.

As a fan I'd love to see them move, because they play Kansas in Kansas City every year, so outside of Nebraska and Oklahoma/Texas, they need to get lucky to have a compelling home game with one of the other Big 12 South teams, Kansas State, Colorado or Iowa State. If they move to the Big 10, they'll be in a division with Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, and Northwestern for sure (all of those teams would definitely be in the Big 10+2 West), all which are currently or are progressing toward being respectable programs, and they'll get a game every year with one or two of Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby knapplc » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:51 pm

Part of me would like to see Missouri move just so their fans would realize how it's not going to be a better deal for them. I doubt they're seriously on the Big 10's radar. Scuttlebutt is that Pitt could be that team, announced as early as Thursday this week.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby steelerfan513 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:42 pm

knapplc wrote:Part of me would like to see Missouri move just so their fans would realize how it's not going to be a better deal for them.

I'd like to hear reasons why moving to the Big 10 would be bad for Mizzou, because other than the football recruiting hit that I mentioned, I can't think of any. The money, reputation and exposure of the Big 10 are all better than that of the Big 12, and I still think they'd be at least as competitive in the Big 10 than they are now in the Big 12, if not more so.

I doubt they're seriously on the Big 10's radar. Scuttlebutt is that Pitt could be that team, announced as early as Thursday this week.

We'll have to see about the Pitt rumor, but I had this argument with a friend from St. Louis because I thought the rumor seemed somewhat believable, and he convinced me that it's likely just a rumor because of how many people in both the Big 10 and within the University of Pittsburgh would have to approve a move, something that's unlikely to happen this quickly. The only reason I can think of to move so fast would be so the Big 10 can get a 12-team set-up next season, but that would mean they would've already ruled out the possibility of adding more than one team.

Why do you not think the Big 10 will give them any consideration? I'm not seeing the significant advantage Pitt or any other school besides Notre Dame has over Mizzou. Pitt's claim to the Pittsburgh market isn't much because not only does Penn State already give the Big 10 a good portion of that market, but there are a lot of fans there who only care about the NFL and the Steelers. Mizzou would give the Big 10 sole claim over the St. Louis market as opposed to splitting it with the Big 12, and they'd also bring in the Kansas City market. Both of those markets don't have much else that can compete with Mizzou athletics, and the fan base is excited because of the recent success of the football and basketball teams. Academically, Mizzou is just as good or better than Pitt, and their student population is on the rise because of sports teams. And athletically, Mizzou is just as good or better when taking into account all of the NCAA sports.
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby knapplc » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:02 pm

This is interesting. What would happen to Notre Dame if the Big 10 forced their hand by stating they refuse to play OOC games with the Irish after expansion? Looks like whatever is going on, Notre Dame is showing more interest in the process:

CNN: NEW YORK -- Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick said Tuesday it remains the school's "clear preference" to maintain its football independence, but that the possibility of impending Big Ten expansion and other conference realignment may ultimately impact the school's status.

"I believe we are at a point right now where the changes could be relatively small, or they could be seismic," said Swarbrick. "What I have to do along with [university president John] Jenkins is figure out where the pieces are falling."

In town to attend the Big East basketball tournament, Swarbrick and new football coach Brian Kelly met with a small group of reporters Tuesday morning. Calling the current college landscape "as unstable as I've seen it" in 29 years as a sports executive, Swarbrick said, "You could each invent a scenario that would force our hand."

The Big Ten, to which Notre Dame turned down an invitation in 1999, announced last December that it would actively begin exploring expansion. Commissioner Jim Delany has said the league will know better by this summer whether to proceed with the process. Last week, the Chicago Tribune reported that an investment firm commissioned by the conference investigated the financial merits of five schools -- Notre Dame, Missouri, Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Rutgers -- and confirmed that the league's existing schools would gain revenue were the Big Ten to undergo expansion.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dream_017 » Thu May 13, 2010 11:42 am

Things have been heating up here about the change to Super Conferences

The Big Ten is likely to expand to 16 teams and four divisions, with details to be finalized by 2011, two sources close to the process told The Detroit News on Tuesday.

The sources, who asked not to be identified because plans aren't official, acknowledge Missouri and Nebraska are among the prime targets to join the Big Ten, although no formal invitations have been extended.

Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Connecticut -- all currently in the Big East -- and even an Atlantic Coast Conference member such as Maryland, are considered possibilities to shift to the Big Ten.

There were reports Monday that formal invitations had been made to four schools: Missouri, Nebraska, Notre Dame and Rutgers. But that report was quashed Tuesday in an e-mail to conference officials by Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany.

It seems that if there was a move by the Big 110, that it would force the other conferences to follow suit and we would end up with four 16-team conferences. I generally fall into the 'old-school' college football category, but I like this idea ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Postby knapplc » Mon May 24, 2010 1:27 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:I'd like to hear reasons why moving to the Big 10 would be bad for Mizzou, because other than the football recruiting hit that I mentioned, I can't think of any. The money, reputation and exposure of the Big 10 are all better than that of the Big 12, and I still think they'd be at least as competitive in the Big 10 than they are now in the Big 12, if not more so.

I've dropped the ball on this conversation. I'll freely admit that I was wrong about Missouri moving to the Big 10. After Nebraska's name got involved I started paying more attention to the details, and there are a BUNCH of advantages to leaving the Big XII for the Big 10. Probably the biggest is greater access to the Committee on Institutional Cooperation, which provides member institutions a huge advantage over other schools when it comes to research money. That alone would be worth moving for.

Nebraska would be a great fit for the Big 10 culturally and in sports, but we lag behind many of the Big 10 schools in academics. We're moving forward on several projects to help the school, most notably the acquisition of the former State Fair grounds which will become a research park, greatly enhancing our academic standing.

We'll have to see how this plays out. I'm betting Nebraska and Missouri are far more likely to join the Big 10 than Texas or Notre Dame.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to College Football