Expansions! Expansions!! EXPANSIONS!!!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Expansions! Expansions!! EXPANSIONS!!!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Both Pac 10 and Big 10 considering expansion

Postby bazzy_51 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:55 pm

Some new stuff I heard on sportscenter earlier, trying to find a solid link to it, but anyways...

Basically Texas has sent Nebraska an ultimatum that states basically: if Nebraska leaves the Big 12, Texas will also follow suit and leave for the Pac-10 but if Nebraska stays with the Big 12, then whether or not any other schools leave Texas will stay as long as the Corn Huskers are still there. Needless to say if Nebraska leaves, the Big 12 will be lucky to even been a name in the big conferences anymore. Mizzou is just about out the door, from all reports, to the Big Ten and its sounding more and more like Nebraska may be following suit and going on to the Big Ten also, thus the Big 12 will not only lose those 2, but also one of their top 2 teams year in year out from the conference.

Also if all of this happens (with Mizzou, Nebraska and Texas leaving) what is going to happen with the Sooners? Can't imagine they will stay with the Big 12 as it will kill them in terms of BCS and bowl games as their in conference competition will be tore down without Nebraska and Texas...

A big thanks to deluxe_247 for the sweet sig!
bazzy_51
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:19 pm

Everyone enjoying the ride? Buckle up, because we could be in for some sharp turns in the next few days.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dream_017 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:53 pm

knapplc wrote:Everyone enjoying the ride? Buckle up, because we could be in for some sharp turns in the next few days.

Keeping my hands and feet inside the car at all times. ;-D Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby steelerfan513 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:16 pm

I gotta say that I hope Mizzou gets a Big 10 bid, but I haven't heard a scenario yet that ends with Kansas, among other teams, joining another major conference if the Big 12 dissolves. Some Big 12 and maybe even Big East schools could get completely screwed over if any of the more outrageous expansion scenarios happen.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby knapplc » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:45 pm

steeler, you may not want to hear this, but orangebloods.com, which has been breaking news on this for weeks now, is now saying it's likely that Missouri won't get an invite.

Scenario right now says that Nebraska will be in the Big 10 this Friday, and no other teams.

The Big 10's crown jewel isn't Nebraska, it's Notre Dame, and always has been. As Delaney said that there might be things happening in stages, I would presume that the next step would be to gather two of Syracuse/Pitt/Rutgers, blowing up the Big East. After that, Notre Dame needs to find a home and finally joins the Big 10.

At that point there are 15 teams, and the Big 10 has to make a decision to take the team that wasn't picked out of Syracuse/Pitt/Rutgers, or Kansas/Missouri. Kansas is a very palatable choice for the Big 10, but there are two things holding them back - Kansas State is tied to their hip, and the current ticket scandal is a problem.

It's also very possible that Notre Dame stops with the denials and joins the Big 10, stopping everything. I very much doubt this. I think Nebraska goes first, then a couple of smaller schools including Big East targets, then Notre Dame, then an unnamed school - possibly Missouri.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby steelerfan513 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:12 pm

Well, if the Big 10 only wants to add one school for now and Notre Dame is still being stubborn, then Nebraska makes the most sense even over Missouri. Hopefully for Mizzou the Big 10 will expand to 16 teams after that, and if that's the case and Missouri hasn't confirmed to the Big 12 that they're staying in the conference, I don't see how they wouldn't get an invite at that point. I think they're just as good of a fit as Nebraska minus the widespread fanbase. Kansas would be a good fit and a potential school to take over Mizzou if taking them didn't require taking Kansas State as well. Kansas State just isn't good enough academically to appeal to the Big 10. And I still think Mizzou is a better option than any Big East school the Big 10 could take, even Pitt. I could be wrong, of course. :-o
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby knapplc » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:15 am

Looks like it's just about a done deal:

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dream_017 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:44 am

knapplc wrote:Looks like it's just about a done deal:

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Welcome ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby knapplc » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:10 am

Thanks, comrade! I think it's going to be a great fit for everyone. Nebraska is going to improve dramatically in academics, and the conference will have four of the top seven schools in football history. That's a heck of a resume.

I very much like what I'm hearing about the Big 10 being a one-school, one-vote institution. Everyone has a say, and everyone is listened to. That is NOT what the Big XII has been like, and it'll be refreshing to be considered among peers rather than disregarded. You don't have guys like Tom Osborne and chancellor Harvey Perlman in your conference and ignore their advice - unless you're the Big 12 and you're run by Texas' puppet Commissioner.

I'm a little leery about Jim Delany, but I guess I'd rather have him on my side than as a competitor.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:37 pm

Looks like the Big XII is done. Colorado is now officially a member of the Pac-10, and I'm sure with Nebraska almost certainly moving to the Big 10, Texas, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State will quickly follow Colorado.

As long as the Big 10 wants to expand to 14 or 16 (and if they want to convince Notre Dame to join them that's what they'll have to do), I still believe wholeheartedly that Mizzou will be a member. I'm not liking that there are scenarios where they would have to join the Mountain West or something like that, but that seems like a remote possibility at this point.
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to College Football