Expansions! Expansions!! EXPANSIONS!!!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Expansions! Expansions!! EXPANSIONS!!!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Both Pac 10 and Big 10 considering expansion

Postby knapplc » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:37 pm

LINK

And there goes Colorado:

June 10, 2010

WALNUT CREEK, Calif.--The Pacific-10 Conference announced today that the University of Colorado at Boulder has accepted an invitation to join the Conference as its 11th member, the first new member since July 1, 1978.

"This is an historic moment for the Conference, as the Pac-10 is poised for tremendous growth. The University of Colorado is a great fit for the Conference both academically and athletically and we are incredibly excited to welcome Colorado to the Pac-10," said Commissioner Larry Scott.

"On behalf of The University of Colorado students, faculty, alumni and fans, we are proud to accept this invitation from the Pac-10 and join the most prestigious academic and athletic conference in the nation, " said Philip P. DiStefano, chancellor of CU-Boulder.

"The University of Colorado is a perfect match - academically and athletically - with the Pac-10," said University of Colorado President Bruce D. Benson, "our achievements and aspirations match those of the universities in the conference and we look forward to a productive relationship."

Commissioner Scott, Chancellor DiStefano, President Benson, CU Board of Regents Chairman Steve Bosely and CU Athletics Director Mike Bohn and others will hold an official press conference on Friday, June 11, 2010 at 11 a.m. MT at Folsom Field in Boulder, Colo.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jayday » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:11 pm

Welcome, Huskers! ;-D

Nebraska was a great get for the Big 10. They always seemed more like a "western" Big 10 team to me anyway as far as fan base/school/etc. goes. They'll fit right in. And I think they'll find the league is much more into sharing the pie and coming to common agreements than the Big 12 ever was.

Western:
Illinois
Iowa
Minnesota
Nebraska
Northwestern
Wisconsin

Eastern:
Indiana
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State
Purdue

I think that's how the divisions will stack up if no further expansion occurs.
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby knapplc » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:24 pm

If that's how the divisions split up, and IF* Nebraska finds an offense, I think we'll be going to the conference championship game (which I presume will happen) fairly often.

That Eastern division is brutal. :-o

* - anyone who watched our "offense" last year knows we have a lot of work to do on that side of the ball, so I'm not banking on anything.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kilroy » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:35 pm

knapplc wrote:If that's how the divisions split up, and IF* Nebraska finds an offense, I think we'll be going to the conference championship game (which I presume will happen) fairly often.

* - anyone who watched our "offense" last year knows we have a lot of work to do on that side of the ball, so I'm not banking on anything.

Eh, Ohio State's been kicking the snot out of that division for some time now. B-)

So where's the Big-10 Title Game? I'd guess Indy, in which case OSU fans would make the 2 hour or so drive in droves.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Kilroy » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:36 pm

knapplc wrote:steeler, you may not want to hear this, but orangebloods.com, which has been breaking news on this for weeks now, is now saying it's likely that Missouri won't get an invite.

Scenario right now says that Nebraska will be in the Big 10 this Friday, and no other teams.

The Big 10's crown jewel isn't Nebraska, it's Notre Dame, and always has been. As Delaney said that there might be things happening in stages, I would presume that the next step would be to gather two of Syracuse/Pitt/Rutgers, blowing up the Big East. After that, Notre Dame needs to find a home and finally joins the Big 10.

At that point there are 15 teams, and the Big 10 has to make a decision to take the team that wasn't picked out of Syracuse/Pitt/Rutgers, or Kansas/Missouri. Kansas is a very palatable choice for the Big 10, but there are two things holding them back - Kansas State is tied to their hip, and the current ticket scandal is a problem.

It's also very possible that Notre Dame stops with the denials and joins the Big 10, stopping everything. I very much doubt this. I think Nebraska goes first, then a couple of smaller schools including Big East targets, then Notre Dame, then an unnamed school - possibly Missouri.

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner. ;-D

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Metroid » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:57 pm

The BCS Cinderellas must be shaking in their boots right about now. The Boise State's, Utah's and Texas Tech's don't stand a chance to finish in the top 5, even if they do go undefeated. The big conference bias just started taking PED's. :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby knapplc » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:20 pm

Most likely this all ends up smack dab in the middle of a playoff. I think the BCS is watching the first pebbles fall of the eventual avalanche that will bury it forever.

And good riddance to it, too.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jayday » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:43 pm

knapplc wrote:If that's how the divisions split up, and IF* Nebraska finds an offense, I think we'll be going to the conference championship game (which I presume will happen) fairly often.

Honestly, I didn't think the divisions were that lopsided. Both divisions IMO would have 3 year in-year out contenders for the division. NU, Wisky, and Iowa in the west. And OSU, UM, and PSU in the east. Then each division will have their years where the odd MSU/Illinois/Purdue makes things interesting and knocks a few of the big boys off.

I know just going by the names that the east looked a lot deeper, but I'm telling you, Camp Randall is one of the toughest places in the conference to play and nobody gets more with less than Kirk Ferentz in the country IMO.
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:22 am

cant wait to beat up on those Huskers }:-)
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:34 pm

I don't know what will happen in football, but I can tell you two things for sure:

1) Nebraska will not dominate its division right away, and will not dominate the conference.

2) Nebraska will not be dominated by the conference, and will compete very well.

Anyone expecting to 'whoop up' on the Huskers had better think again. Anyone expecting the Huskers to 'whoop up' on the Big 10 is delusional.

I think Nebraska is going to fit very smoothly into the conference, and will make for some very fun games.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to College Football